Foliage Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Foliage Report

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Today my mother, brother and I went on a foliage ride. We took route 15 east to route US 2 in West Danville. We drove route US 2 east to I-91 and took that route north to Lyndonville. We had lunch at the Miss Lyndonville Diner. We then drove route 114 north to the Newark Road in Brighton/Island Pond. We went to Job's Pond. The colors at the Pond were good, but not peak yet. It's still worth a look and it won't be long before it peaks there.We continued the Newark Road and the Newark Pond Road to the Long Pond Road and drove to the end at route 5A at Lake Willoughby. We then drove route 16 to Glover and stopped at Currier's Store for snacks and to kiss the stuffed moose. Then we drove some back roads back home.
Generally speaking, the colors are very close to peak. The exceptions are the river valleys and around lakes. Theses areas fog over on cold nights and didn't get the frost other areas did. Route 15 is a good example. From Jeffersonville to Hyde Park the colors are still early. From Hyde Park to Walden the colors are near peak. From Walden to West Danville the colors are early thanks to the fog from Joe's Pond. St. Johnsbury was early because of fog from the Moose River. From Lyndonville on we had very good color. It might peak in this area by this weekend.
So if you want the best color, go anywhere north of route 15 and US 2 and east of route 100.

From_the_NEK

Re: Foliage Report

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:00 pm

And the best part is, there has been virtually no leaf drop from the trees that turned early. The canopy is still fully intact and the lower leaves are catching up in color. :D

pwt54

Re: Foliage Report

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm

I forgot to mention that Hazen's Notch was awesome on Tuesday.