Covered bridge of VT

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jcmaxwell37

Covered bridge of VT

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 am

Dear all,
After some research, I have found many good spot for foliage but no dedicated topic on Covered bridge.
When I was young I have seen a covered bridge photo with a red, orange foliage, the impression still left in my mind.
As the place I am come from has no foliage and so the covered bridge, my trip to VT this October will be dedicate to the hunting for Covered bridge.

I have found some good book about the covered bridge unfortunately, it is available in Amazon and ordering and shipping could not fit my schedule. So I would like to get some suggestion about some of the best covered bridge (preferably 3-5 bridged closed together). Please share your experience of the bridge because many website list the name of the bridge and rough location, but very less detail on it surrounding.

I also did my own research and these website give a useful info:
http://www.tuckerhill.com/vermont-vacat ... d-bridges/
http://www.virtualvermont.com/coveredbridges/

Thanks in advance
JC
JC

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Covered bridge of VT

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:36 am

JC: Some of my favorite bridges to photograph are in Northfield, VT. Here is the link and location, there are 3 together and one down the road from them. Carol (abby) might have some more detail as she may go next week as well.

http://www.central-vt.com/visit/nr/cv14.htm

If you go to any bookstore when you arrive, you might find Ed Barna's book on the Vermont Covered Bridges. I am sure you are going to get a ton of responses here before you leave, but in my opinion the ones in Northfield are amazing and close together!

Good luck to you and please keep the questions coming!!!!

fallguy

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 am

JC:

It would be helpful to know what dates you will be in Vermont, what part of the state you will be residing in and how much of it you want to traverse.

As far as red covered bridges go, the Northfield area has several to view with the least amount of travel.
SlaughterhouseCB.jpg
SlaughterhouseCB.jpg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
This image of the Slaughterhouse bridge was taken 9/28/12 at 11:43am.
SterlingCB.jpg
SterlingCB.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
The Sterling or Red Covered bridge is located northeast of Stowe. Image was taken at 8:21am on 10/4/13. I did take another image on an overcast day and was disappointed in the results.
BridgeonGreenCB.jpg
BridgeonGreenCB.jpg (165.51 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
One of my favorite spots is the Bridge on the Green in West Arlington in Southwest Vermont. I personally feel that the best time is morning. If you cross the highway (rt 313) and scale the hillside, you may be able to get more backgound than this ground level shot taken 10/17/11 at 8:21am.

Finally, do not rule out other covered bridges that are not red. Vermont has a lot to see. Enjoy your trip

jcmaxwell37

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:17 am

fallguy wrote:JC:

It would be helpful to know what dates you will be in Vermont, what part of the state you will be residing in and how much of it you want to traverse.

As far as red covered bridges go, the Northfield area has several to view with the least amount of travel.
SlaughterhouseCB.jpg
This image of the Slaughterhouse bridge was taken 9/28/12 at 11:43am.
SterlingCB.jpg
The Sterling or Red Covered bridge is located northeast of Stowe. Image was taken at 8:21am on 10/4/13. I did take another image on an overcast day and was disappointed in the results.
BridgeonGreenCB.jpg
One of my favorite spots is the Bridge on the Green in West Arlington in Southwest Vermont. I personally feel that the best time is morning. If you cross the highway (rt 313) and scale the hillside, you may be able to get more backgound than this ground level shot taken 10/17/11 at 8:21am.

Finally, do not rule out other covered bridges that are not red. Vermont has a lot to see. Enjoy your trip
Thanks to fallguy and ctyanky,
I will arrive at JFK on 5 Oct and will have 4-5 days alone in VT (can be extend if needed). I will rent a car and drive up north, the route or area is not yet fixed, I plan to wait until the recent weather and foliage report come up before proceeding. Also I am very flexible to go anywhere that car can go to hunt for the lovely foliage. As recommendation from fallguy and ctyanky, I really interested to visit Northfield, as of now I plan my visit focused on Killington area.

My flight will landed around 3pm and after all formality I should be able to move at 6pm. I plan to go as far north as I can. My flight is terribly long so the at the first day I will limit my drive to 2-3 hrs only. I plan to stop at any major city with cheap motel.

Any recommendation or suggestion, please. :)
JC

Andy

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:17 am

There are a couple of good commercially available Vermont Covered Bridge Maps available. Try Amazon and search for that. I have a tri-fold laminated one. There are hundreds of them - some photogenic, some no so much.

Of the ones below, at Northfield, if you are a photographer, it is possible to capture a "bridge within a bridge":

Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

jcmaxwell37

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:00 am

Dear andy,
I will try to look for that when im in the state.

Dear abby,
I should be around Northfield on 7-8 oct :D

Wish you the best
JC