weekend in the NEK

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: weekend in the NEK

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi Carol! I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in the NEK even though the weather did not cooperate. Your house is so nice there, I'm glad I got to see it a couple of times so far. Your family is so sweet! :)

From one foliage geek to another, I knew you would see some changes up there, even if some of the trees are stressed. It's been in the high 40's and 50's for a few nights here and the leaf changes have really been noticeable to the non-foliage geeks in town! :lol: It has been a very popular topic because it feels like late September already!

Anyways, I would surmise that many of us on the forum are true foliage geeks, isn't that why we are on it in the first place???? :mrgreen:

courtmel

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Here we are again on the eve of our favorite season. I have felt it coming in the air for a few weeks even though today is hot and humid. We really had a nice summer if I do say so myself not being a big fan of summer. We are planning to go to Stowe for 3 days (early??) Sept 26, 27 and 28th). Really didn't have any choice because of job commitments. We've never really spent any time in the Stowe area as our base is usally Mendon Mountainview/Killington area. I am hoping for an early and looonnngg season to please everyone. If anybody can list some must sees, restaurants, farmstands,roads, etc. I would be very appreciative. Down here in Fairfield County the same tree that turn have already turned as have the Burning Bushes. They are quite beautiful and always make me smile. I live in Sandy Hook and the beginning of the school year is very hard for me and I'm sure for many others. I only pray that our children will have a safe and happy year. I love autumn and winter for the solitude those seasons bring because it reminds me of a slower, simplier time in our lives. Please, any suggestions would be lovingly welcomed.

Autumnleaf
autumn leaf

exgem54

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:17 pm

hi Carol, Ct and others--This is wentworth, but I have to post under a different name--I hope to post while up in Vermont and New Hampshire from Sept 22nd to perhaps the end of the month--Good luck to everyone for a great Fall this year

exgem54

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Carol, we'll be there in Stowe at the same time--We'll check out your suggestion of Stowe Hollow Rd, I see on the Jimapco that its SE of downtown Stowe

exgem54

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Anybody ever been on the Stowe Toll Rd? We liked the Burke Mtn Toll Road a lot

pwt54

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 am

I've been on the toll road a hundred times. It's easy driving. The views from the top of Mt Mansfield are great. A word of warning; there are rare and protected tundra plants up there, so stay on the paths and bare rocks.

exgem54

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:33 am

ok thanks pwt

courtmel

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Carol and all of the best and most informative foliage followers ever,
Thanks for the info about Stowe. We are looking forward to our trip. I realize it is a little early but I am hoping our favorite time of the year greets us early and stays around for a long, long time like a best friend. To me, Autumn seems to always go by in the blink of an eye. Spring and Summer go on forever but Autumn is fleeting...Can you tell I am just a little biased?

The best is yet to come...Bring it on, Mother Nature!

courtmel
autumn leaf

exgem54

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Called up a few places in Killington and Island Pond--still quite early of course but they are starting to see some nice red leaves already

exgem54

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 pm

A couple of pictures taken 8 hours ago in North Woodstock on the North Woodstock, New Hampshire facebook site show some nice colors starting there