This forum rocks!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kai

This forum rocks!

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:43 pm

I have been searching online looking for info. of foliage. This site is simply the best. It seems people here are friendly and helpful.

I live in Virginia. I plan to drive up north for foliage. I have read many posts on this forum already and have a general ideas on some routes/sites and peak times.

Now my sepcific questions are:
1. I am looking for absolutely "wow" places. I mean some places with gorgeous mountain views, and /or with water views as well. I went to finger lakes 3 years ago. It was a good year for foliage and I saw some views close to "wow". But last two years the finger lakes was not that great.

2. These shots were taken 2 years ago. I am looking for places that have better colors and views than these places.
http://www.pbase.com/kaihui/2002_foliage
Basically I am looking for places that I typically see on my calendar.

3. Adirondack Mountain, Catskill Mountain, and Bear Mountain are on my way to New England. Do you guys know those areas? Are they worth visiting? I mean if Vermont foliage can completely blow those places away, I probably don't need to stop there.

Many Thanks in advance,

Kai

admin
Site Admin

Re: This forum rocks!

Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:26 am

Hello:
Those foliage shots are marvelous! I wonder if you would be interested in allowing us to run a slide show of them on www.foliage-vermont.com? With attribution, of course!
I would like to run them in a Flash presentation with possibly an audio commentary. Could you provide a script so we could say where each shot was taken etc?

publish@pbpub.com

ixl

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:21 am

Hi Kai,

1. I am looking for absolutely "wow" places. I mean some places with gorgeous mountain views, and /or with water views as well. I went to finger lakes 3 years ago. It was a good year for foliage and I saw some views close to "wow". But last two years the finger lakes was not that great.

Well, you can get this pretty much anywhere in Vermont if you go at the right time.

2. These shots were taken 2 years ago. I am looking for places that have better colors and views than these places.
http://www.pbase.com/kaihui/2002_foliage
Basically I am looking for places that I typically see on my calendar.

Those are some pretty nice colors.. what you are missing are the mountains and lakes and valleys. :) I think pwt can give you some specific recommendations but really, the whole area is nice in that regard. What time are you planning to come up?

3. Adirondack Mountain, Catskill Mountain, and Bear Mountain are on my way to New England. Do you guys know those areas? Are they worth visiting? I mean if Vermont foliage can completely blow those places away, I probably don't need to stop there.

I don't know where Bear Mountain is, but the Adirondacks and Catskills are actually ranges, not a single mountain. They all have nice color if you arrive at the right time.. but timing really does matter. The Catskills have nice color but not at the same time as the Greens. If anything, you'd want to hit them on the way back from Vermont, if you come in October.

BTW the Adirondacks are in northern NYS directly west of Vermont.. they are not on your way coming from Virginia. Hope this helps a bit. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Kai

Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:33 pm

"Those are some pretty nice colors.. what you are missing are the mountains and lakes and valleys. "

Exactly, and that's the exact reason I am looking for help here. Anybody has suggestion on riutes/sites? Mounatin view, water view, and valley view are what I am looking for. The ideal is that the bext time of THE DAY to view them. I hope to see Sun Rise or Sunset(not blocked by mountains) from the angles as well. The best photos are usually taken at those times.

Thanks in advance,

Kai

dkramer

Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:13 pm

FYI...

Bear Mountain is in Southeastern NY about 30-40 miles north of the Tappan Zee Bridge (have not been there myself)

Daniel

pwt54

Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:26 pm

The first week of October would be the best time. My favorite area to take photos is the Groton State Forest. Take the road to Owl's Head Mountain, drive down to Boulder Beach park at the gate and walk down. The Green Mountains run right down the middle of the State. That's where you should wander around. I don't know how we'll out WOW your Blue Ridge Parkway. If you give me a date to work with I'll try and come up with a plan.

Kai

Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:30 pm

PWT54,
Thank you evry much for the info. You are very generous of your time and knowledge to everybody here!

I live in Charlottesville, only 30 minutes to Blue Ridge PKWY. It is sure a very nice place, but as for foliage, it is drab comparing do northern states.

My time for the visit can be some flexible since I am driving. I'd like to pick up some days with good weather, but then I need to reserve hotels right now. This is truly a delemma.

I am thinking 2 or 3 days in VT for now. I will try to hit 10/9-11 weekend.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Kai

Kai