Covered Bridges and Waterfalls(photo hints)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Covered Bridges and Waterfalls(photo hints)

Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:24 pm

Where are the best Covered Bridges to photograph in with the colored leaves located? and Are there any waterfalls that are surrounded by colored leaves? I will just skip the others cause there are plenty of waterfalls here in PA that have green. Any other photograph suggestions would be appreciated.Any little known spots.Early morning or late day?Best lighting? I have a lense from 28mm-300mm.Thanks!

svmoderator

Re: Covered Bridges and Waterfalls(photo hints)

Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:33 am

I would say that Moss Glen Falls on VT Rte. 100 in the Granville Gulf, plus Texas Falls just south of there out of Hancock on Rte. 125...however, we will be in those areas tomorrow (Sat. 9-30) and will check them out in person. As to covered bridges, the Taftsville bridge between Woodstock and Quechee on Rte. 4 has some colorful foliage surrounding it, also the Quechee covered bridge, I'll also check out the ones in Warren and Waitsfield tomorrow...although the Warren one is being reconstructed from the flood that took out its foundation two years ago, so that may not be in the best photographic condition until spring. Will report back tomorrow nite. (When will you be in Vermont to take these photos?) Susanne PS: Just as an aside, I can't think of actually anywhere in Vermont that isn't surrounded by colorful leaves at this time of year...maybe the middle of a cornfield.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:43 am

Thanks Susanne! I was actually thinking about leaving PA at around midnight Saturday tonight and heading first to that Kanamangus highway in NH on Sunday and then head to Vermont for Monday or Tuesday and try out your suggestions and then get a shot of the bass harbor lighthouse and Portland light:-) and then head back to PA. I am hoping to get good lighting on the waterfalls and covered bridges at the time i am there. I will check here before leaving.:-) thanks!

svmoderator

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:30 am

Well, Alan, I guess you left last night at midnight without an official update from me, but basically my advice was sound, so I'm not worried. I was exhausted from our marathon foliage blitz, couldn't push my "little fingers" onto the keys last night...the only slight misinformation may be Texas Falls, which I didn't remember actually has mostly pine trees surrounding it, plus the rocks are so big that any trees are set out away from the waterfall quite a bit...but it's so beautiful I don't think you'll mind...lots of color upstream as you approach the falls, tho', and Moss Glen Falls had great color framing it. Your route sounds terrific, also sounds like you'll be on the road a lot...more than I care to be in a car, that's for sure! The colors are really coming on, though, and the places we visited yesterday have not reached peak, but there were some totally excellent views and pockets of outstanding, brilliant color, so it's one of those "you just have to be here" things, and everyone planning their trips for the next couple of weeks, I'm saying you're going to love the colors! Enjoy!! Susanne

svmoderator

Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:23 am

Alan,<P>We were at Moss Glen Falls on Saturday, 9-30, and thought the surrounding color was really good...hope you made it there!<P>I do think overall peak in that area was mid-week, maybe Wed. or Thurs. Hope you had a good time.<P>Susanne