OMG OMG OMG Hazen's Notch & Route 58 to Lowell!!!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

OMG OMG OMG Hazen's Notch & Route 58 to Lowell!!!!!

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:40 pm

First of all, I want to thank Phil, the King of the Vermont Back Roads, for driving me to all ends of the earth up north today. We covered ALOT of territory and had a blast catching up from last year. Phil is a gem. He sets out to make sure I have the best time up here, to see the best color, the best long views, the most quaint towns and bridges, the most beautiful dirt roads and back roads, and to assure me that my quest for a moose will happen some day! :D

Phil, thank you, thank you, thank you, for the most wonderful day today!!!!!! Phil is going to post on our tour today, but I must say that Hazens Notch Road was at full peak and the most gorgeous drive I have seen since I have been up here! We were snapping photos the whole way and when 58 opened up into Lowell, there are no words to describe the reds, the oranges and golds popping up across entire stretches of mountainsides! The colors and views are what I have been waiting for!

Other areas were amazing today: Elmore Mountain and pond, Belvidere Pond both peak. A loon was calling at the end of the lake and I almost had tears in my eyes! I never heard a loon call and here I was at Belvidere Pond, my favorite place in Vermont where I feel like I am in total bliss! Route 12 north was simply gorgeous. Eden just beautiful! We stopped at Chandler Pond Farm (thanks Carol!) and I bought some carrots. I've been eating so much up here, I think they may help the waistline! :mrgreen: However, I got back to the inn and had two cookies. Don't worry folks, I had my huge food bag with me and Phil was well taken care of with a treat for lunch in Montgomery at Bernie's. YUM! (bm can attest to the junk food bag, I'm sure). :wink:

Stannard Mountain Road was past peak but still nice. It did not rival last year at all, but we had such a great day it didn't matter. I convinced poor Phil to take me to Willey's in Greensboro so I could buy some clothes but I came out empty handed. That's the good news for what I have succumbed to over the past few days with my shopping habit! :wink:

I hope Phil has energy left and time to post our tour before the Red Sox game. We are off again for a meetup tomorrow with Tim our webmaster, mmvt and mmvt2 and bm to tour Waitsfield and parts unknown.

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: OMG OMG OMG Hazen's Notch & Route 58 to Lowell!!!!!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 am

I forgot to mention we started OUT in Montgomery after 1:00 p.m. traveling east to Lowell not the other way around although I am sure it is fine that way. Towards the end of Hazen's Notch there is a beautiful sugarhouse surrounded by colorful foliage that is totally worth stopping to photograph. The tap lines are in front. You have to step in further to avoid them. Views to the left of the mountains in peak will make you want to stop every minute for a photo! Enjoy! :D

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am

ctyanky wrote:Other areas were amazing today: Elmore Mountain and pond, Belvidere Pond both peak.
I was at Lake Elmore most of the weekend. It was a great weekend to be there!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:33 am

NEK: we met a really nice guy there who lives in the area and he said he never saw the color there so early and that it was some of the best he has seen. I really enjoy meeting people everywhere we go and just having spur of the moment conversations with them. It's nice to get a new perspective from those who live in VT and their take on the foliage for the year. I've never met anyone who doesn't enjoy sharing their love for Vermont with those who live elsewhere.

Your pictures were so nice and thanks for putting them up! :D

orenphotography

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 am

Thank you CTYanky! Followed your advice and hit up Hazen's Notch and Rt 58 after spending the night at Noyes Pond. Great color. Will have pix whenever I can take a sec to work on them. So for only worked on a Milky Way shot which most will frown on as there is no color in it :wink:

Jacky CW

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 am

Great report and nice photos.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:58 am

Oren: sooooooo glad you got there and you are welcome!!!!! Belvidere Pond and Lake Elmore were great when we went as well. I so wished I could have done Noyes Pond this year but time was running short. Will have to return next season. I'm really looking forward to your photos later and hope you enjoyed your trip to Vermont! :D