Any updates on Seyon Pond or view from Owl's Head Lookout?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

orenphotography

Any updates on Seyon Pond or view from Owl's Head Lookout?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Just checking in to see if anyone has been by these two spots. I caught the Owl's Head Lookout at a bad time last year and really want to head back as close to peak as possible. New destination is Seyon Pond after seeing Abby's shots.
Thanks!
E

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Any updates on Seyon Pond or view from Owl's Head Lookou

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Oren: I don't have any updates but I'm telling you, you will fall in love with Seyon State Park and the pond. Mark my words, you will have a tough time leaving there. It is so serene, scenic and mesmerizing! I went there with Charles (ixl) last fall and he had to pull me away! I remember I kept looking back thinking, I am definitely returning here some day (when the weather is better too!). Even with the fog and mist, it was perfect. Carol hit it right on. Her photos attest to that. Good luck and hope you post those photos. When are you going to Vermont and how long are you staying?

wentworth

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 pm

saw Owl's head back in late Sept 2010, the drive on 232 from the south was beautiful, great color--Owl's Head itself was great also--what a view!

orenphotography

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks everyone.
This season seems to be coming on fast and early (local color popping on North Shore of MA in pockets) so was wondering about timing.
I am off work on Wednesdays so was planning to hit both on Oct 2nd.
I recall that you cannot get up to Owl's head very early because of the gate so will plan on early AM drive to Seyon pond and then go to Owl's Head from there.
Will share if/when I have something worthwhile :wink:

From_the_NEK

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 am

I agree with you Oren. This season is running a bit ahead. If you can there within the next week, you should find a good peak display.

autzig

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Oren, if you arrive in the area of Owl's Head early and the road is closed, try Ricker Pond along highway 232. I've caught the pond when the color was at peak and the fog was rising.
http://goldimagesphoto.phanfare.com/615 ... =192554560

The stream below the dam can be nice too.

Al

minnesotaman

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

I was at Owl's Head and Seyon Lodge today around 1 pm. There was heavy overcast, and color was difficult to assess. But, I would say that both locations are three or four days from peak. Both sites were also showing a lot of burned orange, rather than bright yellows or reds.

This is my twelfth consecutive month long Fall photography stay in Vermont. I would say that both of these locations are going to put on mid range displays this year, not bad but not top notch either. Last year Seyon Lodge had a two brilliant days. It does not look like it will reach that level of intensity this year.

Today I did a loop of about 200 miles just to see how things were progressing. I went up 12 from Woodstock to Sharon, then to Strafford on back roads, then to Vershire and some back roads around Corinth, then to Groton State Park, over to Danville, up to Hardwick, west to Morristown, and back down to Woodstock. Color is coming on sooner than most years, but it is still early everywhere except north of 15, which was the only area where I saw any significant reds. The fastest route back for me was 100, which I find to be pretty tedious, and useless for photographs, but color is pretty well advanced from 89 down to Hancock. Mainly yellow, some orange.

Yesterday I was on the Kanc. My guess is that it will be very good by Saturday.

There are many more road crews out than I have seen in years, and they will cause serious back ups if they do not finish up soon.

orenphotography

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks again and special thanks to minnesotaman for the personal scouting report - really appreciate it. I have Sunday all day for a drive or Tuesday afternoon with possible stay into Wednesday. Skies look more promising for Tues/Wed. Will be stalking the forums in the meantime...

minnesotaman

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 am

I was in the Burke Mtn area yesterday, Darling Hill Rd., Newark, Job's Pond. With the exception of Job's Pond, still quite early. East Darling Hill Road showed modest color.

I also swung back through Owl's Head. Color on 232 is good. It was sunny from Owl's Head so I got a much better look. I would say it is five or six days to go. A lot of the trees between Kettle Pond and Groton Lake are still greenish.

The Woodstock area is very early. Cloudland Road is mostly green.

Foliage looks good in all locations. However, I note a lot of small black spots on a lot of maple foliage.

One of my favorite roads is between S. Wardsboro and Newfane. I have not been down there yet this year. This road tends to change much earlier than you might expect given its southern location. I would appreciate any intelligence on the state of that road.

I would post on another heading, since I have addressed a lot that has nothing to do with Seyon Lodge or Owl's Head, but I am a technological cave man. Sorry.

minnesotaman

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am

Here is that South Wardsboro Road, from a couple years back, assuming I adequately resized the file and did the attachment properly, very large assumptions. You all seem to be mostly NE Kingdom fans. I roam most of Vt and NH each year, from north to south as the colors change, which is the advantage of being here a month.
on the road from newfane to south wardsboro (640x213).jpg
on the road from newfane to south wardsboro (640x213).jpg (173.19 KiB) Viewed 17034 times

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 am

minnesotaman wrote:I was in the Burke Mtn area yesterday, Darling Hill Rd., Newark, Job's Pond. With the exception of Job's Pond, still quite early. East Darling Hill Road showed modest color.
I've been noticing that after an initial burst of change last weekend/early this week, the color change has almost stagnated during the latter part of the week. This bodes well for a long season :mrgreen: but has prevented full peak from occurring as soon as we appeared to be headed for.
Pretty much all upper canopy leaves are still intact and the soft maples are still holding onto their red leaves (these are usually some of the first to drop). I think a lot of the stagnation has to do with the relatively small night-day temperature variations we have had this week. Nothing cold and nothing real warm.
So for those coming after this weekend, you won't be disappointed. The forecast looks EXCELLENT.

minnesotaman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Pretty much peak at Noyes Pond today.
Excellent color in Marshfield and Plainfield. Rte 2 in this area, lots of red, bright orange.
Owl's Head ok, a bit muted. Some trees showing sticks, some still green. Mostly brownish yellow and orange.
Rte 12 from 107 south to Barnard about 75%.
Pomfret Hills area about 7 to 8 days to peak.
Sugar Hill NH area and Kanc near peak.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:42 pm

bm and I did route 2 at Marshfield and Plainfield this past Friday. It was gorgeous! Glad you agree! :wink:

minnesotaman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Noyes Pond today
Attachments
Noyes Pond sept 29 (240x160).jpg
Noyes Pond sept 29 (240x160).jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 16920 times

Utah Baker

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Wow! Gorgeous shot! Thanks Minnesotaman........save some for me!