This last weekend in Chester

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bvahjen

This last weekend in Chester

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Some informal notes from this last weekend in Chester, VT. Starting to see some reds developing on the swamp maples. Nice highlights on Route 91 between Brattleboro and the MA line. Looks like a good start to the season so far and the weather was perfect. The rain Saturday night cleared out by breakfast with no high winds and it was on to day two of the Chester Fair. Best bet, having a beer on the porch of the Fullerton Inn. There is a rocking chair on the right side just made for it. I'll have another Von Trapp Ale please. Best time of year.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: This last weekend in Chester

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 am

bv: thanks for the update! I loved the imagery of you sitting on the porch at the Fullerton. I imagine you were perfectly content with your beer watching the crowds shop at the tents on a blissful, autumn day. I am sorry we didn't get up to meet you and your lovely family yesterday. We made a command decision to stay in CT the last minute. The Chester Fair is awesome and glad I have been there three times already. And thanks for your recommendation on back roads. Poppledungeon still remains my favorite but next year I'll try Stagecoach Road. It looks great too!

Glad you saw reds! That's what we like to hear! :lol:

Hope to see you in Vermont during the next two weeks If you come up further north!

DCE Nebraska

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 am

CT: After a absence of four years, we are returning for our 11th visit the past 16 years to Vermont. So no Granddaughter weddings in October this year to curtail any planning. I view some wonderful exchanges about scenery, foliage reports, and activities which are very interesting so I try to do something new each time I visit. We will be in Vermont from the 6th to the 10th and hoping the catching foliage at its peak staying in East Central Vermont and taking the regular day trips in any direction.. It is not the same peak foliage dates each year. You use to talk about reunions etc. but I don't see anything set so I assume that many of you run into each other anyway. Keep up the reports so I can see where the best foliage roads are now.
Don from Nebraska

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Don from Nebraska! Soooooo glad you are coming to Vermont and most of all back on the forum! It has been a long time hasn't it! Are you bringing your sister-in-law again too? Didn't she accompany you and your wife last time? I see that from your post you are arriving on the same day as I head back to CT. That's unfortunate! I certainly would have enjoyed meeting up with you and your wife after all these years.

I didn't plan any "big time" reunions this year. The one I worked so hard on last year for Peacham, bombed out due to the yucky weather. It was terribly disappointing for many, after months of planning. :cry: This year we are randomly meeting up here and there with a few folks at a time. If you were here earlier, you would be welcome to meet Tim our webmaster, Phil, bm, mmvt and I at the caravan tour around Waitsfield and Warren on Tuesday, October 1st.

I hope you can return in 2015 because from what I hear, this is the "big" reunion including some of our very talented SOV photographers - Andy, Al, Carol and others. So please keep that in mind and on the back burner for now even though it is two years away! Everyone is welcome to join!

I hope to hear from you as your prepare for your trip to Vermont as well as your posts on your daily adventures! Again, great to hear from you Don! :wink: