Foliage Reports

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Foliage Reports

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am

Anyone know what happened to the written state foliage reports? Seems they have been replaced with a marketing video and a quote from VT's Tourism commissioner about it being early in the season and that color is being reported at higher elevations and in swamplands.There are no reports from the foresters.

The report from a private website in southern VT is not a state wide round up and is not put out by the State Tourism Dept.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Foliage Reports

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Here's what I have been able to come up with:
We are still in the early stages of foliage season. In northeastern Vermont, above St. Johnsbury, the color is starting to emerge, particularly on Sheffield Heights and Burke Mountain. The Stowe area is also showing signs of the color to come. We estimate peak is about a week to 10 days a way in the Northeast Kingdom. In central and southern Vermont it is still mostly green unless you go up into the mountains. We did see a picture of a tree near the Equinox Hotel in Manchester which shows early color almost every year.

According to M. Brian Stone, Vermont’s Chief of Forest Management, "Vermont has all the conditions required to consistently produce excellent fall foliage. With a diverse combination of tree species, generally high quality soils and topography, which allows good moisture retention, Vermont can regularly count on beautiful foliage. Tree health is also crucial. Leaf cover and tree color in Vermont’s forests have all been very good this year and pest evidence is minimal."

The color is following pretty closely to what the foliage tracker of foliage-vermont.com shows. If you are still wondering when to come, check out the foliage maps on this site.

shyu

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 am

Where are the 2013 Vermont foliage reports? What is this "Seeing is Beleafing" video put out by Vermont Tourism office?? How user (tourist) friendly is it to use? So far, it's no help for my coming foliage peeping trip. Thankfully, visitors still can rely on your website to get up to the minutes updates. In my view, You guys should get pay, not those bureaucrats.

WXMAN76

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

Just my opinion but money ruins everything. I love this forum just the way it is. we are all here because we want to be and we want to share our combined wealth of knowledge with others. Our only reward is satisfaction and our SOV friends we meet. Personally I'd take that over money any day.

wxman

shyu

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Totally agree. Waxman.
The next 10 day Vermont weather forecast shows plenty of sunny days and cool nights. I am no expert but I learned this help intensify the colors. Wow, in a few more days, Vermont hillsides will come alive in a blaze of colors and there is no Frankenstorm lurking on the horizon. This is going to be a nice year.

pwt54

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:21 am

I took a ride up to the NEK yesterday. I took route 100 from Johnson to route 58 in Lowell. Then route 58 east to route 5A and a couple of side roads to island Pond. I did Pittsburg, NH and then worked my way back home.
Colors are in the early stages up there and looking good. The stressed out trees in the swamps and next to the roads are starting to peak. Looks great for next weekend.
I plan to be in Montpelier today and will wander some back roads back home.