COUNTDOWN TO FALL IN VERMONT!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

COUNTDOWN TO FALL IN VERMONT!!!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:35 am

Happy Summer! :D Today is the first day of summer and that means our next season is autumn! We are now just 3 months away 'till the first day of fall and in 2 months, sometime towards the very end of August, we can sense the occasional seasonal changes in the early morning or late evening here in northern Connecticut. I look forward to the first whiffs of that blissful aroma which say that fall is truly around the corner! When the geese start flying overhead on those cool mornings, my adrenaline starts pumping! Around Labor Day, our farm stands start to showcase autumn mums and gourds and all the fall treasures of the season.

I hope everyone is getting their plans together as I noticed my inn is booked solid for 3 weekends during prime time in Vermont and also almost filled during the weekdays.

Have a wonderful summer and the excitement will soon build for all of us going to Vermont in 2013! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

WXMAN76

Re: COUNTDOWN TO FALL IN VERMONT!!!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I heard on the news that Autumn has been cancelled due to the sequester. All trees will immediately drop their leaves all at once. Mr. Obama can't afford the elves to paint the leaves this year! :lol:

On a more serious note. I will very shortly put my thoughts out on summer/hurricane, Autumn, and winter forecasts. Lots of little tidbits to look at but I think I have a handle on it!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 am

WXMAN: we can always rely on you for a great sense of humor throughout the foliage season!

If this rain doesn't stop here in the northeast, our trees may drown very soon. :shock: We had a tornado yesterday afternoon in northern CT in Windsor Locks (near the Bradley airport) and there was a lot of damage.

It looks like a tropical jungle around here. Autumn should be quite interesting! :lol:

WXMAN76

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Hasn't been any better down here in Florida! We've had some wicked weather too. I have some GREAT news weatherwise. This pattern is about to have the valve shut off! This is NOT a normal pattern for this time of year. We can blame the extremely strong and amplified ridge of high pressure in the west bringing record heat to the west. Death Valley 129.9! (world record death valley 134) But it's a "dry" heat LOL! That has allowed the unusually strong trough in the east. But the good news is the pattern is about to self destruct. All that heat in the atmosphere is piling up in the Atlantic and our old friend the Bermuda High is gonna flex her muscles and build westward onto the East coast. This will push the wet weather to the central gulf coast to the Lakes. The east will turn hot and humid but the high should suppress almost all of the rain activity. We should get a good chance to dry out for the next 7-10 days. Independence day should be sunny hot and humid with almost no chance of t-storms except possibly far northern VT/NH/ME and far western NY State. One of the top 5 wettest Junes on record in the NE. Top 10 here in FLA. Good news too, the top years with a wettest June did not have hurricane hits to the NE. Let's see if that rings true again. Water table is high so even if we get a lot of dry weather in July and August shouldn't stress the trees too much. Stay safe All!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:54 am

YEAH!!!!!! It is a picture-perfect Fourth of July day! NO RAIN! NO CLOUDS! Just HOT HOT HOT! Heat indices of 100 for a couple of days though - but everyone's plans should go on as expected.

Happy Fourth of July to all and Carol, enjoy your extravaganza today! :wink:

WXMAN76

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Happy fourth everyone! Glad the weather up north is good. we are having a t-storm now here in the Tampa area but it's a passing storm, not an all day rain like we had. Definitely feel tropical. Looks like a long stretch of rather rain-free weather, but hot and humid up north. enjoy your summer weather! Be safe!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm

I saw four bright red leaves turn on the bush outside my house this weekend! So what if it is weather stress..... or, what if it's not :?: Fall is around the corner :!: :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Well... it's finally here. It's August 1st and today I can say, "I'm going to Vermont next month!!!!" :mrgreen:

I'm getting very excited about the upcoming season as it has really been cooling down here in northern CT. There is a more noticeable dulling of the tops of trees and some early turning of sporatic higher branches. Keep your eyes peeled upwards!

I read where Vermont will have an autumnal chill next week! I have a very good feeling about this season because of all the rain we have had this summer in New England. Of course we'll have to wait until early September to get a more solid handle on things but it feels like a winner to me! :wink:

WXMAN76

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:10 pm

What do you mean wait till early September. I've had a handle on it since last month! LOL. Next 2 weeks will be quite comfortable as we are starting to see building Canadian high pressure in Alaska coming down into the Northern US. This will lead to a much more normal fall than last year! Enjoy!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:13 pm

It's really cooling down here at night now. The air feels different already and I can feel a change! Hope we don't get another heat wave in early September to slow things down. Carol (abby) and I have some great plans in place for our farm stay in October and we are both getting very excited! I love watching Carol in her "element" when she has to stop on a dime to photograph something! It's really quite comical! We have some plans for Peacham and Barnet and she wants to take me on a sketchy road tour to Martins Pond Loop per Phil's recommendation last autumn. Let the fun begin!

Took another drive in the country today and more dulling of leaves appearing and more shots of color change at the tops of trees. Same as always here in early August in northern CT.... A flock of geese flew overhead this morning in the coolness of the early hours and was quite a thrill! Felt like fall for sure! :wink:

WXMAN76

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 am

I think we flipped the calendar to September instead of August! Bundle up the next couple of mornings. Overnight lows next few days U30's in the mountain hollows! Most of Southern New England will also be near record Lows with U40's in the burbs and L50's in the cities/Cape. Highs in the 70s south but struggling to hit 70 up North! A brief warmup later this week and another cool down next weekend. This month the coldest air will be in the Lakes/Northeast but that should back west llate this month to the Plains.! Enjoy and send that cool air southward. Lows here tonight will be near 80!

deaner1971

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 am

Thank you for the update.

One of my friends took his family up to their cabin near Chelsea so I am going to see how they are enjoying their fall preview.

Rockwall Tim

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, we are halfway through August and I have 2 questions, probably aimed toward WXMan. Can you guess as to whether the timing of foliage will be normal this year...and can you ascertain how good the color will be this year?

I know this is asking for the miraculous, but then, you are pretty good at what you do. :)
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 am

Tim: Not sure WXMAN saw your post but the forum girls here think we are going to have an early fall or one right on time. There is a lot of dulling (and I mean ALOT) of trees, more than I have seen this early any season, and very noticeable sparks of red and orange on branches and tops of trees. Canopies are full and healthy from the deluge of rain this summer. There really is no way to predict the season this early in my opinion, I think we can get a better handle on it all in early September after Labor Day. If Mother Nature doesn't throw in any monkey wrenches as in past years, the season looks tremendous.

Read Carol's latest post from the NEK and she thinks it is pretty early up here too. (Ready or Not, Here It Comes).

The leaves are definitely changing here in the northeast and the fall feel has been here for at least 2 weeks now with very cool nights and bright sunny days.

It's all good. 8)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:01 pm

One month from today is the first day of Autumn! This weekend features another fall preview of delicious autumn air and coooooool evening temperatures in the 40's! It is going to be BLISSFUL! :D