What's with Mother Nature?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

What's with Mother Nature?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm

She has given us the best colors in a decade and the worst weather for almost as long. At least there was a foliage season after Irene.
That said, I've still had a great time viewing the foliage. Today was no different, except for the great time I had at mmvt's. Great food and foliage stories. Mac and cheese and pulled pork sandwiches with a nice baked root veggie salad. I had 2 helpings of the salad. :shock: Unbelievable. I had to give my mother smelling salts.
We did both Colton Pond and Kent Pond. Great color. Went up to the gondola parking lot. The colors were incredable. If you get a chance to drive the Killington Access Road, do it. The gondola was operating but the riders said it was socked in with clouds and there was little to see.
We broke up after that. Ctyanky wanted to do the Cloudland Road from Woodstock to Pomfret. We went to Woodstock and took route 12 north. Just past the Billings Farm Museum, we turned right onto the River Road and drove about 2 miles and turned left onto The Cloudland Road. She fell in love with the road, She took about 20 photos of the farm in the hollow. We stopped to look at a couple of horses and she had a horse-asm. A few miles farther the road lived up to it's name as we drove into the clouds. When we came to the end we turned left onto the Galaxy Hill Road and drove that to the Pomfret Road. Here we turned right to go to Hewett's Corners. (I mentioned this area last year on this forum.) Coming down the hill into Hewett's Corners you would see a sweeping panoramic view of the valley and the rolling hills beyond, but not today. At the bottom of the hill you will make a sharp right turn. About 1/4 of a mile from this corner we turned left onto the Howe Road. There is a nice barn on the left. About 1/2 of a mile on the right you will see a wonderful stone fence/wall. This road is a nice ride. It ends at the River Road. Turn right for Sharon village or turn left for South Royalton village.
It was very hard to judge the colors around here, but they do look early and should be good late next week.

markm

Re: What's with Mother Nature?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks for you input about Cloudland Rd. I'm planning on checking out that Rd this weekend if the clouds clear out finally.

Would you suggest I wait one more weekend to see Windsor County?

Is Orange County (Randolph/Tunbridge/Strafford) showing more color than Woodstock/Pomfret at this time?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

pwt54

Re: What's with Mother Nature?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 am

I wasn't impressed with the color in Woodstock or Randolph. Might have to wait until later next week. The colors above route 25 in Newbury, Ryegate, Topsham, and Peacham are great. I would go up there.