Need help for October trip

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

socal

Need help for October trip

Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:20 pm

Hi everyone. I need your help in planning a trip my wife and I are taking starting October 9.

We are from southern Calif. and are complete foliage/Vermont rookies, so please bear with me.

Can you give me basic advice on a Oct 9-19 trip?

Best foliage locations, accomodation info, nice small towns--anything you can think of.

Also--should we fly into Boston? and drive in from there or maybe fly into Montreal and drive down?
Should we stick to Vermont only?

Sorry to be so general, but I need help.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mohazo

Re: Need help for October trip

Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:20 pm

SOCAL,
Can't rule out flying into Boston.

However, this Ct person has been to VT 10 times in the past two years. Recommend flying into
Montreal... on your drive down to VT stop in Brome and or Sutton Canada, quaint towns.

In Vermont stop in to Montgomery, one of the best little towns in VT. Drive south through Smugglers Notch and stay in Stowe Village. Go south to Warren/Sugarbush... Middlebury(college town) one of the best in America. Make sure you hit Woodstock. Take in Ludlow/Okemo... back across the state to Manchester (Equinox- Rock Resort property)

pwt54

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:25 am

My advice for folks doing a long stay is to get a condo in the middle of the state. At the time you are coming, you should check out the Okemo or Killington Ski Areas. Peak foliage should be just above there and heading south. Or you could look for rooms in Stowe or Burlington for the first 2 or 3 days, the above Ski Areas for the next 3 or so days, and finish up in the Mt. Snow Ski Area/ Bennington/ Brattleboro area. Northern New Hampshire does have good color and views. It's worth a side trip.

mattcamp

Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:04 pm

You should be fine visiting Central and Southern Vermont during that time. If you haven't been to Boston before, definitely take the time to visit Boston at the end of your trip. Fly Southwest into Manchester, NH and enjoy both New Hampshire and Vermont. Planting yourself in Central Vermont, you're only a short drive in any direction to catch Peak. Woodstock is a must, especially the tour at Marsh-Billings Historial farm and mansion. Stay in the quaint towns, the condos can save you money, but most of them are in less than attractive areas especially when there is no snow. Take their recommendations and book your lodging well in advance. Even if your hesitant to lock yourself into certain locations along your travel route, make those reservations early; you'll save time as well as your sanity. Before you get there, research the area and pick the spots that interest both you and your wife. Plan your trip around your interests and the foliage and color will find you as you explore. Enjoy, it is beautiful countryside.

Susan2004

Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:35 pm

I agree with the idea of flying into Montreal and out of Albany. The leaves will be turning in that area of NY state later than in Vermont so it would be a pleasant drive back. Although it would probably be past peak in Burlington by the 19th, it is still beautiful to take the ferry from there across Lake Champlain, to Port Kent, NY and then drive down to Albany.

Looking into a condo or cabin/cottage rental is also great for long term trips to the area. I've found lots of great properties on a few different websites:

http://www.vermontproperty.com/rentals/all_statepg/home.html

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/vermont

http://www.accessvacationrentals.com/state/vermont.php3

Good luck! I'm a New Yorker, but I love Vermont during foliage!