FOLIASM ON STANNARD MTN ROAD!!Oh yeah, we peaked and peaked!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

FOLIASM ON STANNARD MTN ROAD!!Oh yeah, we peaked and peaked!

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Stannard Mountain Road from South Wheelock to Greensboro. Seriously? I have NEVER in my life going to VT seen color on fire of this magnitude! Speechless! Breathless! OMG Moments! Go there now! The side closest to S. Wheelock is the best!

bm, Phil and Tim (our website owner) will attest to it. Tim went back and is going back tomorrow. Carol going tomorrow!

stay tuned for bm photos and updates from Phil! I have to go to dinner!

courtmel

Re: FOLIASM ON STANNARD MTN ROAD!!Oh yeah, we peaked and pea

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 pm

CT-Heading up to Killington on Wednesday. How do you think it will be this coming week? Any areas or roads that you or Phil might suggest. I can't wait to get up there and since we are only going to have 2 days I don't have a minute to waste. I need some spirit lifting foliage...I knew this was going to be a spectacular year.
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Courtmel! I "think" Phil said this road would be good for another few days but he'll come on to verify. I'll defer to him for clarification.

Elmore Lake and Mountain were at peak and nearing peak in lower to the lake sections as we drove on 12. It was unreal.

I just want to sit in one spot on Stannard Mtn. Road and soak in the scenes for hours. It was THAT gorgeous!

We are going to Long Pond per Carol's report I just posted for her. She's in foliage heaven in the NEK! See her post.

ixl

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for the pix! Looks great... and if I'm not mistaken, not quite peak yet?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Charles: There was no question about it, Stannard Mtn Road was in full peak. Parts of Lake Elmore just have a couple of days and it will be too.

ixl

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Glad to hear you had such a great time! I guess I'll have to set my sights further south or lower down. :)

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

From_the_NEK

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm

I will strongly concur. Driving up to Jay Peak around noontime I passed over Sheffield Heights on I-91. The clouds were just skimming the hilltops up there and the foliage was probably the most intense that I have EVER seen. ALL species of trees were in full color display. Reds are super intense this year.
Tomorrow I may head back up there to Holbrook State Park to take some pictures.

ixl

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Wow, that's quite an endorsement!

Do you see this only on the hillsides that are peaking now? Do you think there will still be color around in a few days' time?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:39 am

I have another confirmation by private email regarding Stannard Mountain Road from a professional photographer who lives in Vermont who alerted me to this road (besides Phil). He said it was the best color he has ever seen in his life.

So folks, if you are in the area in the next two or three days, you should go here and have a foliasm of your own instead of reading about it in a forum. :shock:

Amen. :wink:

Utah Baker

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

bm, I keep coming back to these pictures, they are stunning! I can smell the air, counting the days, can't wait.........pleeease mother nature, save some for me! :D

pwt54

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:55 pm

The higher parts of the Stannard Mtn Road may be past peak by next weekend, but the lower elevations are just starting. Route 114 might make it to late this week. The rest of the kingdom should be good for this week.
What's helping right now is the light winds. If that keeps up, the foliage may last longer.

deaner1971

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:27 am

ctyanky wrote:I have another confirmation by private email regarding Stannard Mountain Road from a professional photographer who lives in Vermont who alerted me to this road (besides Phil). He said it was the best color he has ever seen in his life.

So folks, if you are in the area in the next two or three days, you should go here and have a foliasm of your own instead of reading about it in a forum. :shock:

Amen. :wink:
Gee, the best year ever? I am really surprised that it is the best year ever and coincidentally my first year not being there... Wait, no I am not:
deaner1971 wrote:The weather is starting my Vermont evolutionary response and I have nothing to do with it. I keep feeling this overwhelming urge to charge up my camera batteries, load up the car and put a book on CD in for a long drive.

I just know this is going to be a the best foliage season in years in VT. Dagnabit!
Well, I am coming next year so everyone will want to go ahead and cancel their plans cause it is gonna stink I mean just "stuck out loud, kick me in the crotch and send me home to bed" bad! I should start offering different locations my services. Vermont wants to really kill the foliage in the Catskills? For fee, I shall spend a week in the Catskill. New Hampshire and Maine getting a bit too cocky? I run a two-fer special.

In case anyone was planning to go to Hocking Hills State Park, here in Ohio, make other plans because I am going and it will be awful!

Really happy for all of you and your precious, perfect color.

My bitterness and I will now go away again... :x :D

courtmel

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:55 pm

To deaner1971-I can totally understand where you are coming from. I feel your pain. At least I will have 2 days in Vermont this year but unfortunately even autumn is not lifting the fog around my "employment situation". I got nervous and blew a math test for a dream position so I am kicking myself all the way to hell and back. I should let it go but I just keep beating myself up. :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: In this economic situation good jobs are far and few between! Sorry for venting but know you guys are the best... :)
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Oh Even Dean: This was the most endearing post. :( I feel so bad that you are not here this season. I know you wish you were here with your family. It was really funny in parts but I can feel your pain just like Courtmel stated. Now you WILL be here next year in Vermont, so start making plans and follow through! Just put a stickie on your wall calendar at home with the words, "I will be in Vermont in 2013" and make your wish come true!

Courtmel: Have fun on your two days in Vermont and let us know where you went and the foliage that you saw! I'm sure your employment situation will pan out one way or another and remember that there is always a reason for things to turn out the way they do. Something special will come your way. :)

deaner1971

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 am

I am seriously glad that all of your are seeing such glorious foliage. The drought has made things here very spotty. About 40% of the trees are going early due to stress while others are holding off. Seems you are all getting a much more orderly transition (and better photos).

I'll post my sad little "flat-land" photos after I shoot. I am taking a half-day from work to hit one state park and a full-day to hit another (easier on my wife if I take workdays to shoot) so I am hoping I am timing the combo of weather and foliage changing just right.

Courtmel, that stinks about the exam. For what it is worth, two times in my career (including my current job), I applied for a job and either the interview went horribly or something else occurred and I didn't get THAT job only to later get a better job at the same place. Kicked myself at the time but it ended up working out for the best. Not advocating bombing an interview in hopes of getting a "promotion" but not all is as it first appears. Just think, a gorgeous foliage season is born of plenty of dreary rainy days. It is hard to remember that those dreary, rainy days will yield something great while you are in the midst of them but afterwards, you see their benefit.

Oh, and a great foliage season requires my absence too so I also promise to stay far from your interviews! 8)