Great Color in NEK!!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Great Color in NEK!!!!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 pm

North of East Burke on Rt.114 to Island Pond is some incredible color, red trees everywhere on the hillsides, as good as we've ever seen it.

ixl

Re: Great Color in NEK!!!!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

wentworth wrote:North of East Burke on Rt.114 to Island Pond is some incredible color, red trees everywhere on the hillsides, as good as we've ever seen it.
Glad you're enjoying it!

But you have me a bit nervous... since I won't be up that way for another week. Do you think it will be past by then?

Thanks. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Amazing how much the leaves have changed in the last three days :shock: . I think the multiple early frosts this fall have kicked all of the trees into high color changing gear. There is still some green lingering about but by the end of the week I think most everything will have turned. This coming weekend should be fantastic.
I'll try to get out and take some pics in the St Johnsbury area tomorrow.

On a different note, I don't think I'll be able to make it to East Burke Saturday, since I'm going to a wedding at Jay Peak. I may try to pop in for a few minutes if my morning schedule allows.

ixl

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 pm

From_the_NEK wrote:Amazing how much the leaves have changed in the last three days :shock: . I think the multiple early frosts this fall have kicked all of the trees into high color changing gear. There is still some green lingering about but by the end of the week I think most everything will have turned. This coming weekend should be fantastic.
Thanks, that would be great.

Wonder if I'm going to have to change my plans... was thinking I'd have to go way north the week of the 1st but maybe it will be too late?

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

anniep

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 pm

[quote="From_the_NEK"]Amazing how much the leaves have changed in the last three days :shock: . I think the multiple early frosts this fall have kicked all of the trees into high color changing gear. There is still some green lingering about but by the end of the week I think most everything will have turned. This coming weekend should be fantastic.

I know that even in the "dampness" the foliage will still photograph well, but do you think it is going to be a washout for Saturday (9-29) up in the NEK ? I can only go this Saturday and was hoping for nice weather.

ixl

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 pm

It's a bit early to be sure but right now I don't think it will be a washout.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 am

The weather is looking better and better for the weekend. I don't worry about the forecast until two days, maybe even one day before. It changes fast! I am hoping it is nice for the 29th in East Burke because a bunch of us are meeting at the East Burke Fall Foliage Festival for fun and adventure! We are having lunch at the church and then driving to Burke Mountain for the lift rides. Tim our webmaster is expecting to attend as well! Here is the link! I'm confident Mother Nature will cooperate for us all!

http://www.burkevermont.com/fall-foliage-festival.php

Andy

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

Annie: "Unsettled" weather can actually be a "boon" for photographers. Changes in the lighting caused by clouds moving around can often ad dramatic lighting and skies to a photograph. While I will take it any day over solid dreary gray, pure cobalt blue skies can be actually be a detraction from good photographs. Upshot, by all means keep your plans.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 am

IXL; Color change is a mixed bag right now. Routes 100 and 114 are close to peak, while the roads in between, routes 14, 16, 58, and 122 are early. On the back roads, the trees close to the road are peaking, but the trees away from the road are still early. I think you will be good for next week.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Got out at lunch with my camera. The deck was stacked against me. I forgot my polarizer and lense hood at home :? . My new tripod won't arrive for two more days (old one broke), the sun is VERY bright at noontime, and it was a bit windy which was turning up the less colorful underside of the leaves. Then to cap it all off, i got stung on the hand by a wasp when i tried to rest my camera on a guardrail to stablize my first picture (see broken tripod statement above) :roll: .

However, fortunately the trees were cooperative with their color display. I went up into the hills of Waterford to get these pics...

Some more here: http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn23 ... Fall_2012/

ixl

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm

pwt: thanks.

NEK: Great pictures, thanks! I hope the color hangs around for another week....

NEK, I also sent you a PM...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank NEK for the great photos! I love the reds! I think it is my favorite color now! :lol: I bought a red vest at the Vermont Country Store on Saturday and I'm wearing it my first day in Vermont! Bring on the reds! So excited! I'll be there in less that 48 hours!!!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!

courtmel

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Speechless! What beautiful photos. No wonder I always miss the colors...I visit the Columbus Day weekend :? :?
autumn leaf

Utah Baker

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm

NEK, thanks for the pictures, they are wonderful, that'll get the heart racing, yahoo! Keep em comming.

From_the_NEK

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Lunchtime today...