Foliage Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Foliage Report

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am

I went riding around the Northeast Kingdom yesterday, checking out the foliage situation. It was a mixed bag of changes. Most areas were just showing hints of change and a few areas were in the early color phase. Route 100 between Hyde Park and Lowell is a good example. Route 100 from Hyde Park to Eden was just showing hints of color, while rt 100 from Eden north to route 58 in Lowell was in the early color stage. Route 58 from Lowell to Orleans was just showing hints of color. I took I-91 south to Lyndonville for lunch. Just hints of color except for the Sheffield Heights area.
After an awesome turkey dinner at the Miss Lyndonville Diner I took route 114 north to Island Pond. The colors along this road and into the Island Pond area are more advanced than the rest of the State. We are talking the early color stage here. Next weekend should be NICE. May not be peak until later. The Newark Road from route 114 in Island Pond to the Job's Pond Access Road had some great color next to the roadside. Job's Pond is just starting to change. Look for good color starting next weekend.
I did the ride up to the Lewis Pond Overlook. Colors were starting up but still early. At the Overlook I used my binoculars to check out the colors in the distant hillsides in VT and NH. Lots of hints of color and some early color all over. Looks good for next weekend.
I DO NOT recommend doing the Lewis Pond Overlook Road in a low clearance car this year. There are a couple of rough spots there, thanks to the recent downpours.
On the way home I took routes 5A, 16, 14, and 15. Not much change on these roads.
Overall I believe that the color change is running normal this year.
If you are up here next week try northeastern VT north of Lyndonville and east of route US 5.
The County Road, which starts as North Main Street in Montpelier, has good color now and should be NICE by next weekend. It is paved from Montpelier to Maple Corners and then it's gravel. Great ride, and these are the types of roads you want to ride early in the foliage season. The trees next to the road are stressed and turn early. :D

Utah Baker

Re: Foliage Report

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks for the report, and keeping us up to date. I (and I'm sure others) anxiously hang on every word. It's so exciting!!!! :D

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Although I did not travel around nearly as much as PWT54 this weekend, I will concur that a lot of areas are still either hint of change or at an early stage of change. The areas north of Burke on 114 have now endured their 3rd frost of the year which may patially explain why the color there is a bit further along.

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:43 pm

I agree with pwt. It is early yet. The color is coming along on schedule. Five days will make a big difference. The swamp maples are already turning but not quite brilliant yet.
Tim

courtmel

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

:D This past weekend in CT was perfect. I am a little concerned today because of the windy conditions and heavy rains. We don't want to sacrifice any foliage to inclement weather. Thank you for putting up the foliage report. I can't wait to get up to Vermont! It appears that alot of leaf peepers are of the same mind. Hotels are filling up fast. Great time for the economy in Vermont.

suebotinCT :D :D :D
autumn leaf

WXMAN76

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 pm

I doubt the foliage is far enough along to be bothered much at all by this front. Pouring rain down here in Florida too. Been like one constant T-storm all day. Cool night tonight. Cold night tomorrow night into Thur am with near freezing temps again in the NEK.

orenphotography

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:56 am

Hey PWT54,
I've been dying to do the Lewis Pond overlook and Island Pond area since stumbling on this forum a few years back. Any thoughts on how it might look for an Oct 1st trip? I take it my '02 Civic might not be ideal for the overlook road?
Thanks
E