Who Is Planning An Autumn Trip to VT in 2012?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Who Is Planning An Autumn Trip to VT in 2012?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

You may ask, why I am posting this so soon? Well, I've kind of given up on winter here in New England this year :!: Except for a very few patches of thin snow which is now melting due to the rains we are getting in Southern New England, the grass is predominately light brown and in some places, green! And all next week they are predicting warmer temps once again. My sleigh rides ain't happening in the near future........ :cry: (Watch, Mother Nature will start dumping on us after next week! :twisted: )

So, my thoughts have squeaked past this wimpy winter - and - it's never too late to start planning autumn in Vermont!

Hope you are thinking on occasion, of traveling to Vermont this fall. What a wonderful way to celebrate Vermont's recovery from Irene: Vermonters and flatlanders alike!

Vermont is beautiful in all seasons and with sugaring season fast approaching, it sure is one special way to enjoy the great state of Vermont. However, I do hope that the state receives some substantial snowfalls so that the ski resorts and those depending on snow for their livelihoods, are not without this beneficial income.

When Phil returns from Florida in April so he can get his taxes done on time :wink: , we hope to get a meetup going in June, July or August, for anyone who is interested. Last year, for the first time, we just couldn't get it together for a meetup as we had planned on boating on the Somerset or Harriman Reservoirs. Maybe this summer, we can do just that!

I will be back again for 10 days in Waitsfield as I booked my inn when I left last fall. I want to discover new parts of VT such as the NW section and go back to NH (gasp!).

Anyways, we are only 9 months away from 2012 Autumn in Vermont! So who's counting? :P :lol: :shock: :roll:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

pwt54

Re: Who Is Planning An Autumn Trip to VT in 2012?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

I hope to get back to VT for sugar on snow. Then a ride on the rebuilt route 107. Then my taxes. After that who cares ? 8)

Andy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 am

Sadly, this will be a "stay in Michigan" year for me. I made a promise to someone to be their "local" guide for a "UP" excursion in early fall. With several trips planned between now and the end of May, I will probably be "traveled" out for the year by June 1. The only possible exception I could see to that would be a "late" Fall trip to NOCAL. So, once again, I'll have to rely on all of you for vicarious enjoyment of NE in the fall!

On a more exciting note (for me, anyway), I am almost finished with my eBook on Photographing Vermont. My first foray will be available on Blurb, sometime this spring, and will include a surprise "Forward" author.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi everyone! It's nice to see some folks chiming in here on the foliage forum!

Phil: Guess route 107 is on our list for the fall! Are you making it back to VT for sugarin' season????? You mentioned getting back for sugar on snow. :?

Carol: I realllllly hope our plans to get together in September/October work out! I don't mind driving up to the NEK for 1/2 day the last weekend in September to watch all you photographers go at it! 8) (Although......you know me, it would probably be late morning!) I remember how much you loved Waitsfield two years ago when Thelma and Louise hit the back roads so let's keep our fingers crossed for this year too! I would looooooooooove to get you on that Mad River Glen Single Chair Lift!!!! :P

mmvt: I can't wait to see you folks this year again. I am hoping Carol will be able to join in with us as we once again try to take the Killington Gondola ride! Last year the weather was definately not cooperative. I know Phil is up for another meetup in Killington. (He's probably thinking of that incredible feast you prepared for Phil, bm and me!!!! :lol: )

Andy: I hope someday we can all get together again as we did two years ago. Or was it three???? You certainly have a lot of traveling in store for you in the next few months! Looking forward to hearing more about this "ebook" of yours! Congratulations!

Anyways, this weekend was in the 50's and no snow in sight for another 10 days. Sigh. Feels like Spring. :shock:

deaner1971

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 am

It will be iffy for me this year. We just had the baby so VT in the fall will depend on how that goes. My plan is to still be based at the Equinox in Manchester and, if you fine folks will have me, meet up with all of you up North by getting up very, very early and trekking on up. The single skill with which the Army imbued me was the ability to get up early and operate on practically nil sleep so I don't mind at all.

I desperately want to hit some of your awesome NoVer spots but cannot miss out on my usual SoVer haunts so sleep be darned!

Ideally I also want to do the Catskills one fall but that may have to wait as I find it impossible to not be in VT at least a day or two each year.

autzig

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

I don't think I'll make the trip from Minnesota to Vermont this year. Before I retired, I could plan a business trip there in autumn but that doesn't work anymore. My wife hates to fly. The last time we drove to Vermont, we put over 5,000 miles on our car so a Vermont trip is a commitment.

I've promised Carol that we'll get to Vermont for the 5 year meet and greet anniversary but I don't think that is until 2015.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

EVEN DEAN: First and foremost, congratulations on your new little munchkin!!!! Now you have two little munchkins to keep you and your wife very busy! I hope all is going well and you both get some sleep! I knew your short absence from the forum meant the baby had arrived. I think it would be great if you met up with the gang next fall. We have plenty of time to arrange a meet-up in the NEK or somewhere inbetween!

Carol: ahhhhh, you know me well. I'm pretty much non-functional before 8 a.m. and for me to give up a four-course, picture-perfect fit for a magazine cover, Vermont country breakfast at the inn is a HUGE SACRIFICE! :lol: I can't seem to get moving until about 9-9:30 so yes, I guess I will have to meet up with you and your photog group around lunch time!!!! :P I guess my life as a budding photographer ain't happenin' anytime soon. I really hope someday I can get up early enough to at least see a sunrise! :shock:

Anyways, whereever you may end up, in Barton or in Waitsfield, you must come to Killington with Phil, bm and I to cruise around with mmvt!

Al: my dear Al! Nice to see you pop in here and I hope to see you in 2015. Why does that seem so far away? Because it is! I figured you were going to say something sarcastic to me about rushing the seasons as usual. Retirement must have taken your edge off???? :wink:

P.S. No snow forecast here for another 10 days. The silver maple in front of my house is pushing buds, the tulips and crocuses are emerging and some grass is greening and growing. It is simply the strangest winter ever! I really feel bad for those who depend on the snow for income! Yesterday was in the 60's! Life in New England. :)

deaner1971

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you both for the congratulations.

I agree that the chefs in Vermont make it very hard to pass up a breakfast to instead go and twist ankles stumbling in the pre-dawn darkness looking for the perfect shot on a empty and grumbling stomach. And I say that having had my previous all-time favorite breakfast spot (Up For Breakfast in Manchester) surpassed by a godess of a chef who works her magic in the small cafe attached to the main gallery at the Southern Vermont Arts Center (she only works from May through early October so, if in the area during those months - get in there!). I have a woefully overdue Manchester culinary review that I need to post in the other forum but my brunch at SVAC will be the center piece as it was the center piece of my 2011 dining tour.

That being said, I have discovered that breakfast/brunch tastes that much better with a few miles worn off of your soles, some melted frost clinging about your laces and a few "keeper" images safely nestled on a memory card of your choosing. :D Just my experience but, as I have gotten older, it keeps getting harder and harder to tow my French toast up the trail with me. I also find that age has bestowed upon me my father's proclivity for post-meal napping...

Whether this year or next, very much looking forward to meeting up with you all!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Dean: I have been to "Up for Breakfast" in Manchester. Besides my inn, they have the best breakfast ever! (Well I heard Polly's Pancakes is great too!) Up for Breakfast can be quite crowded but I felt the service was fast. We were there in winter and there were a lot of skiers in there. It was really fun! The quantities are enormous and the price is right. I would highly recommend stopping there to everyone here on the forum. It's up on the second floor of a building up a tight staircase but there are a lot of tables. The french toast was yummy! I can imagine there will be a wait in foliage season so patience is a virtue!

Thanks for the headsup on the SVAC. I'll put that on my list to stop at as I am so close to Vermont for day trips. Is this brunch on Sunday only?

On another note, when Carol and I vacationed for a week in Waitsfield two years ago (while her poor hubby had to work), she was up at the crack of dawn towing cameras on Bragg Hill and/or Common Road every day. I was leisurely eating breakfast, actually finishing up, and she would trek in at the last minute to be served. So funny! She sure got some amazing photos that year! I guess getting up early for her hospital job makes it easier for her. :lol:

We look forward to meeting you this year or next. I will check out the SVAC website. Thanks again!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Carol: Are you taking your photography group to Parson's Corner for breakfast for the last weekend in September? Sounds great! Yes, all this talk about yummy breakfasts is making me think of Vermont maple syrup, stuffed french toast and pancakes. Guess what is on the menu for this SNOWY, yes it's true, SNOWY SATURDAY in Southern New England!!!! :D A perfect day to stay home and get the griddle going and pour on that sweet, sweet syrup! (Which I'm almost out of! Will replenish next month at the VT Open House Sugaring Weekend!)

So you snow lovers, find those shovels hidden in the garage! Yahoo! (Next week we are back to 40's and 50's so enjoy it while we can!) :wink:

WXMAN76

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Unless it's later October and his team isn't in the playoffs Who cannot be in vermont. Who' on first base! LOL GO SOX!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Well..... just think. In less than six months now, it will be Labor Day Weekend, the official end to summer and the start of the meteorological Fall! As of today, we just reached the half-way point! But who's counting.... :roll:

Susan2004

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 pm

We're staying in Waterbury again 10/5 - 10/12. I'd love to do the chairlift at Sugarbush with you. My hubby isn't too fond of heights and my daughter is too little so I never get to do it. I could leave them behind and come with you two! :) LOVE Waitsfield!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Susan! I see that you will be arriving on October 5th and that you can possibly do something with us after that. I would love to meet up with you at the Waitsfield Farmer's Market on Saturday morning after breakfast on October 6th and then head over to Mad River Glen for the single chair lift. They run the lift only on the weekends.

That's the day before I leave and I plan on staying around town so as the time gets closer we can touch base! Sunday the 7th is the last day of my ten day trip to VT so I hope we can meet up finally!

Let's hope for good weather and keep our plans on the back burner! I'm sure bm will come in from the Champlain Valley and perhaps her hubby can watch her toddler as well! :D

Susan2004

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:54 am

Unfortunately we can't make it AGAIN this year. I am extremely disappointed. That's 2 years in a row sans Vermont. I may go into withdrawal! :(