Post one location where you found "your" peak foliage in VT?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Post one location where you found "your" peak foliage in VT?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I was wondering where folks found that one special spot in Vermont this season where you could say it was "peak" in your mind's eye. Try keep it to Vermont (I know, NH is amazing!) and maybe limit it to just one place that totally "wowed" you above and beyond all the others. I know the foliage timing was different this year and we were all there on various schedules, but I think it would be fun to see what others thought of as "their peak foliage moment". I'll start.

My number one spot in Vermont this 2011 season, was the Lewis Pond Overlook. We were there on Wednesday, October 5th at about 1:30 p.m. I would say it was peak. I was beyond wowed and this is the second time I was there. The intermittent clouds rolling in after the hail storm :shock: were gorgeous and the sun highlighting the foliage on those forever cascading mountains was breathtaking. Last time we went to Lewis Pond it was rainy and misty. I could see so much further this time. I could barely take myself away from this sight before my eyes.

Maybe you found a "peak" moment that left you speechless? I hope to hear from others. It could be interesting to see what you defined as peak and where you found it! 8)

Rockwall Tim

Re: Post one location where you found "your" peak foliage in

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Our foliage epiphany occurred along Windham Hill Rd. and Hitchcock Hill Rd., roughly between Newfane and Andover. This was on Monday, Oct. 10. We had heard that southern Vermont was pretty much green. That may been true, but maybe those back-to-back 80-degree days lit the fire! This area was non-stop peak. Our trip was a success even before this, thanks largely to Stowe Hollow Rd., but these two roads blew the cones and rods out of our eyes.
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Post one location where you found "your" peak foliage in

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55 am

Tim: I love the rod and cone description! That was great! Seems like Stowe Hollow was the place to be this year for a beautiful peak. Phil hit that one right! Glad so many folks got there.

mmvt: So glad we got to share the Lewis Pond Overlook experience with you. It was a really special journey! I think your dog Cooper loved it too! The arrival of the hail was unexpected but fun!