Beginner Leaf-peepers need advice

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

elasticmedia

Beginner Leaf-peepers need advice

Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:56 am

Hi,<P>We are visiting Boston from California starting Oct. 1, and will head up into Vermont during the week. From what I read, the color should be pretty ideal. I must mention that we are almost complete neophytes so we are embarassed that we are rather naive. <P>The main thing we are wondering is if we do go mid-week, can we make lodging plans on the fly? Or do we have to make reservations in advance which cripples our fluidity. <P>Also, what about camping? We are pretty hardy and are wondering what kind of campsites are available.<P>Finally, during the time we are going, do we really gain anything by going to northern or central vermont over southern vermont?<P>Many thanks,<BR>Jim & Gabrielle

Geri

Re: Beginner Leaf-peepers need advice

Mon Sep 25, 2000 5:28 pm

The Vermont campgrounds are excellent. We like the ones that offer lean-tos. The weather will be cooling down the end of this week, into the upper 30's and 40's at night and upper 50's to low 60's during the day. You are going at a busy time. Accommodations may be difficult to find. Sometimes the Town Clerks at the individual town halls can refer you to families that are offering rooms in their homes. You will see much more color in Northern VT and at the highest elevations in Southern VT early Oct. Get a "Vermont Atlas & Gazetteer" map booklet to find those back gravel roads to really see VT! Also, the Adventure Guide to VT is very helpful. Peacham should be beautiful early Oct. and the Victory Bog near Burke. Renting a condo at Burke Mountain Ski area would be a good way to relax and see a very beautiful region of VT. Bring some warm clothes so you will enjoy the hikes and walks.

svmoderator

Re: Beginner Leaf-peepers need advice

Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:19 pm

Hi,If you're still planning your leaf-peeping trip to Vermont next week, I think you could get a place during the week, but I'd call ahead from Boston. Try the Woodstock Chamber at 1-888-496-6378 or look on <A HREF="http://www.woodstockvt.com." TARGET=_blank>www.woodstockvt.com.</A> If you call, they can tell you what properties have space available. Quechee Gorge State Park is open through Columbus Day if you're still interested in camping. Look them up at <A HREF="http://www.vtstateparks.com." TARGET=_blank>www.vtstateparks.com.</A> I suggest these areas because they're an easy trip from Boston, I-93 to I-89 at Concord, New Hampshire, and then straight to Vermont (60 miles), take Exit 1 for Quechee and Woodstock, US Rte. 4. It's a total of 140 miles from Logan Airport in Boston, a nice drive, too, especially mid-week.Let us know if you need any other last-minute info. Enjoy your trip!!Susanne