Woodstock/Killington color report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

RIMHfire

Woodstock/Killington color report

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Day 1 of my trip up here and I'm enjoying the unseasonably warm weather (wearing shorts in downtown Woodstock) but disappointed in the lack of color. Took the gondola up Killington, and while the view was spectacular, the color just wasn't there. Very burnt looking. Same thing around Woodstock, the Quechee Gorge, and that area around route 89. Going to try Montpelier and Cold Hollow Creek tomorrow, hoping for some better color. Anybody have any luck with pockets of color nearby?

MrBumps

Re: Woodstock/Killington color report

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:56 am

I made a quick run through Woodstock about a week ago, and it didn't look like the color was going to be good. I ran over Cloudland Road, and almost all of the trees lining the road had that burnt/dead look, and half the leaves were gone. The distant hillsides did look OK, but haven't been back since to check them.

faxmachineanthem

Re: Woodstock/Killington color report

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:58 pm

I was in Woodstock on Friday and had the same reaction. In fact, in all of my 3 years of seeing Woodstock the color has never been good. I'm guessing I've chosen bad years for the area and/or gone at the wrong times. We still really enjoyed ourselves at the Billings Farm Museum, which is fantastic.