Views From Owls Head This Morning 10/8

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MrBumps

Views From Owls Head This Morning 10/8

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Hiked up Owls Head in Groton State Forest this morning for sunrise with my trusty sidekick. It was a beautiful morning to be up there. The air was so crips and clear, and I love the smell of the Autumn woods! Still some nice color there, but I have a feeling it will be gone in a few days.

Kettle Pond View (You can see Camels Hump in the distant horizon)

Little wider view looking out at Kettle Pond

Looking out back towards Lake Groton (all fogged in). Kind of funky light, but I liked the shot anyway.

My trusty sidekick Aidan. He never sits still. I had to tell him to sit and STAY for this pic, and he cried the whole time.

pwt54

Re: Views From Owls Head This Morning 10/8

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, i have the same problem with Ctyanky. I may try going there tomorrow.

markm

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Nice Pics! Great day for the hike too.

orenphotography

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Looks like you hit Owl's Head at a MUCH better time than I did. Love the colors and the stillness of the pond. Almost debating going back up there again....

Karma2x

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 am

Wow, nice shots. I seemed to have got up there not long after you - the sun had burned off all that fog, but the light was kinda flat.I still got some acceptable pics with a polarizer and a graduated neutral density filter (musts for late rising foliage peepers :roll:). I wasnt sure about that gate so I got there a little later than I had originally intended. For folks who might be wondering, the gate was open at 8.30 am although that might change after Columbus day.

This might be common to Vermonters, but was a first for me. Up on the mountain in Bolton, I awoke to a clear, sunny day. I head on down to Rt 2 and I89 and about half way down the mountain...grey and gloomy fog..thick enough to eat with a spoon. So, I was on I89 during that fog and funky light which you captured in your Lake Groton photo. It looked awesome in some portions - opportunities for foliage through the mist photos. But I think stopping on the interstate to take pretty pictures would generally be frowned upon, so I looked but didnt shoot (unlike pwt who seems to have shot video through his windshield while driving!!). There was good color at Peacham Pond and although Groton State Forest seems to have mostly yellows and green, I finally got pics of some firecracker red leaves which were backlit by the sun. Mack's Mountain Rd still has lots of color and the leaves are hanging on. Rt 302 is erratic .. there is some good color in portions from the Rt 232 junction to Barre. Rt 14 in this area was closed. I drove Rt 25 to just beyond East Corinth and color seems to be increasing in this area...I was a little late to take good photos in this area.

The rangers at Rickers Pond and Osmore/Kettle Pond let me meander through for pics without taking my money. I think all over VT the Parks and Forest service folks do an awesome job, are knowledgeable and free with their information and are all round nice folks. I always feel a little sorry for some of them who get to be cooped up in those little huts on a good day like today, hoping someone will show up.

MrBumps

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 am

The best light up on Owl's Head is around 7:30 - 7:45, which means walking up the road. The road is about one mile long, and the steepest part is probably the 1st Quarter mile. Then there is about another quarter mile hike at the end of the road to the top, which is also fairly steep. Not a bad walk overall, and I needed the exercise anyway! BTW, both a polarizer and ND Grad filter were my best friends up on Owls Head.

If you have the right cloud cover, sunset shots can be good from up there also. I believe the park rangers make sure all the cars are down before locking the gate.

lirwin13

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:47 am

Gorgeous photos! I especially love the low-lying fog over the mountains! Great job, looks like a successful trip!