Need base camp ideas

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Karma2x

Need base camp ideas

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi all,
First let me say a big thanks to folks on this forum who have always been incredibly friendly and an invaluable resource of accurate, unbiased information. Truly, you guys need to know that this forum is unique and an oasis in the harsh wilderness that comprise forums on the internet.

So, I am a CT creature and fairly avid photographer who runs amuck in the fall, frantically chasing color all over the New England states during foliage season. The wife and kid generally get righteously abandoned :twisted: at the lodging during my pre-sunrise photo-op jaunts or are dragged along for the 100+ miles of stop&go ride the rest of the day. In the past, I have always used Jamaica or White River Junction as home base since I was always somewhat late in the season. Anyway, this year the kid is old enough to enjoy the Ben & Jerry's factory and the Cold Hollow Cider mill. And I would like to see Mt. Philo around sunset and Groton SF, of course on different days. So, my question is any suggestions for base camp locations from Oct. 6 to 10th, considering it is so late in the game to book? Anywhere in the broad Montpelier - Burlington corridor would be great. Suggestions for reasonably priced cabins, inns or even houses that might still be available in smaller towns?

pwt54

Re: Need base camp ideas

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 pm

This is always a tough question for us. We do know where the lodging is, but we don't if they are full or what their prices are during foliage. The prices do go up. Bring this close to the foliage stampede, you may have trouble finding anything. With a reluctant family tagging behind, you might check the condos at the ski resorts of Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Bolton Valley, and Sugarbush. They are usually a good deal for a long stay with a family.

Karma2x

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Even if I do say so myself, my Google-fu is strong! Thanks to your perfect suggestions, I just scored an apartment at the Bolton Ski resort through the Columbus day weekend. Very reasonable too. So, Barton and Bolton respectively as base camps for 10 days from Oct 2nd onwards. Lets see how many of the "must see" spots and must shoot scenics from this forum I can snap-and-run through.

Vermont, you better not stall the color this year...warm weather or not :wink:

pwt54

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Congratulations. Ski area condos are great for long term group vacation. It's our little secret.

Andy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Have had the privilege of eating at Parsons Corner (with Carol and her gem of a husband, Steven). Food is good, as is atmosphere!

I am late to the game. But I have had good luck with motels in both White River Junction and Brattleboro, which are both good locations for late season, and are both right on the interstates, for easy access to points North.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Karma2x

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks everyone, for all the tips. And the wonderful updates in all the other threads. Special thanks to Andy for the invaluable PDF you put together...I have been studying it carefully.

I am on my way to Barton today, and will contribute updates and pics soon.