A short report from 2 short guys.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

A short report from 2 short guys.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm

This isn't going to be a detailed report like the last 2 reports. My brother had the day off and wanted to do something and I wanted to check out a couple more trouble spots. So we did route 100 down to Weston and routes US 4, 103, 131 and route 12 through Barnard. First of all, colors on Rt 100 from Waitsfield to Rt US 4 are not progressing as fast as I had hoped.I'm not sure why. It won't be peak this weekend. Road repairs are moving right along. They are starting work on the route 73 bridge in Rochester. The Road Closed signs are still up on Rt. 100 between Pittsfield and Killington. This is to keep traffic down while they finish up the bridge south of Pittsfield. However you can get through okay right now. The bridge is up and they are finishing the approaches. It should be done by this weekend. It wouldn't surprise that the road closed sign will be down after the bridge is finished. I turned right at Rt US 4 and headed for Mendon to see how they were doing. They had the west bound lane ready for paving, and when that is done the road will be normal again. Unbelievable. Traffic was moving well. We went to Sugar & Spice for lunch. This was my first time. I ordered the sausage gravy and biscuit meal to see how it compared to the JCT 101 Restuarant. OMG look at the size of that meal. The flavor of each was different enough to make a comparison difficult. I'd sell my soul for either. We then went to route 100 south in West Bridgewater and drove that to route 103. The road closed signs are gone and that wiped out section was all paved and open. There is still work going on with short delays. Colors from here on will be early. I took route 103 east to Chester with a side trip on route 131. I talked to an engineer and he said that the locals can get through but the crews are keeping traffic to locals only. They are working feverishly to get the road open before the snow flies. The back roads were hit badly also and he couldn't recommend any of them. STAY OFF ROUTE 131!
Chester had a surprise. They had paved Main Street and the paint crews were painting the lines. Route 11 west of Chester had be hit in 2 places. The first was filled in. The second was down to one lane with barriers and traffic lights. No problems getting through. I decided to do the Andover Road. This is a paved country road. Earlier I had said the colors down here were early, but there always an exception. The Andover and the Andover/Weston road were that exception. I took a right onto the Andover road and drove through Andover. About a mile past Andover the road splits. The right road goes up a long hill and ends at route 100 in Ludlow. The left split curves left and goes to route 100 at the north end of Weston Village. All entrances to these roads off route 100 are well marked. The ride was great. We turned left and went to the VT. Country Store for some goodies. Then were took route 100 north back to route US 4 with a stop for a maple creamee at the Green Mountain Sugarhouse. Then we took route Us 4 to Woodstock and then route 12 north to Barnard to check out the damage. You can get to Barnard okay, But the bridge north of the village was gone and there is no way around. They are working on it and it may be open the wekend after this one. Maybe ! However you can get to Bethel using the North Road. This road comes off route 12 in the village across from the country store. It's paved and a nice ride. For you folks heading south from Bethel; take route 107 west toward Stockbridge. In about a 1/4 of a mile you will see a flashing sign that reads;" For Woodstock Stay Left". At the sign turn left and you are on the North Road. I will be unavailable tomorrow. I'll be back on Thursday, but Friday is the start of my Ctyanky adventure, so don't expect much. She already has me confused.

pwt54

Re: A short report from 2 short guys.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 pm

I forgot to say that from what i've seen the last 2 days, the Northeast Kingdom, north of route 15 and east from route 100 is the HOT SPOT!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 pm

This turned out to be quite some detailed report! I'm so glad the Andover Road is looking good. bm and I are taking that to East Hill Road on bvahjen's recommendation and which I also traveled last year. Gorgeous views!!!! So you went to the Green Mountain Sugar House without me? Shame on you! :evil:

My dear, sweet Phil: I'm hoping that tomorrow, Wednesday, you are getting some much needed rest. Because in a matter of days now, I will be alongside you in your brand new car, driving you crazy with my endless, action-packed itinerary!!!! Not to worry my dear, sweet Phil, the junk food bag(s) are just brimming with healthy food waiting for you to dig in! Don't forget, we have to go see my little piggies in the field south of Rochester so I can sing to them again before you eat them for breakfast the next day. :twisted:

See you soon Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

pwt54

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 pm

The little piggies were prancing in the mud this morning. The big ones were just laying there. My brother was eating their cousin with his waffle at Sugar & Spice.

courtmel

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 am

Absolutely love Sugar & Spice! Hope Polly's Pancakes can stand up to Sugar & Spice. Also love the Rochester Diner; never had such delicious Corn Chowder in my life.

suebot in CT
autumn leaf