First Timer

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wba

First Timer

Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:41 pm

My wife and I will be visiting Vermont for the first time on October 20. Staying in the Newfane and West Townsend area. Any special places to visit? Got my digital camera ready!

pwt54

Re: First Timer

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:29 am

Good timing. The colors should be real good down there. One place I would visit is Grafton. It's just north of Townshend. Take route 35 north to Grafton. Check out the cheese factory just south of the village. Great cheese! Finish route 35 north to Chester. Turn right and then pick up route 103 north on your left to the "Stone Village" at the north end of Chester Village. Lots of building made of stone. From there continue route 103 to Ludlow and pick up 100 south to route 30 east back to Newfane. You should also do route 9 from Brattleboro to Bennington. If you are wandering around the Bennington/Manchester area, stay on route 7A. Route 7 is only good if you are in a hurry. Route 30 north to route US 4 in Bomoseen is also a great ride. Buy a couple of extra disks and use your highest resolution.

ixl

Re: First Timer

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:23 am

Not sure I agree about route 7 vs. 7A.. they are very different to be sure. 7A is nice if you want to see the locale better, but there is some excellent scenery on route 7 because it goes right next to the western spine of the Greens. Might be worth taking one going north, the other going south. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!