Predictions of "How Good"?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

faxmachineanthem

Re: Predictions of "How Good"?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:47 am

WXMAN,
I remember your posts last year were spot on about the weather. Can tropical storms cause significant leaf drop before September? I'd like to wait another week or two before beginning my annual weather-worrying. 8)

Looks like Vermont, like much of the northeast, has recieved quite a bit of rain that past 10 days or so. Good news because it was showing as dry on the drought monitor.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/pics/northeast_dm.png

WXMAN76

Re: Predictions of "How Good"?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you for the compliment! Well there certainly will be less canopy damage in August as opposed to later in September when the trees are in the process of shutting down. With healthy canopies this year I expect less damage than if the trees were stressed. The real question here is how strong will the winds be? The stronger the winds the heavier the damage, but it's exponential, so if you double the winds lets say from 35 to 70 the damage doesn't double, it quadruples. A wind 10x stronger causes 100x the damage.

As of this morning Irene is indeed a Cat 1 (out of 5) hurricane. She is expected to hit NC as a category 3 or possibly 4. Then it looks like she will cross the Carolina, exit back into the Atlantic and make a second landfall over Southeastern new England, potentially as a hurricane. This may be the first direct hit on New England shores since Bob in 1991. Still thing SE New England will bear the brunt of the storm, but heavy rainfall is likely in the North. This Shouldn't cut up through the heart of New England like Gloria did in 1985. But we will have to wait and see, but Everybody from Miami to Maine should keep an eye (no pun intended ) on Irene