Anyone thinking about their 2011 Vermont Fall Foliage trips?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Anyone thinking about their 2011 Vermont Fall Foliage trips?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Now that we have finally turned the corner on Spring (what a winter, huh?), we have less than six months 'till the first day of Autumn! It's never too early to start planning your Vermont fall foliage excursions, perusing lodging possibilities and searching this Scenes of Vermont forum website for exciting back road adventures, enticing places to visit and the best vistas for foliage viewing. With oil prices rocketing, I know some folks who have already booked their flights to secure the lowest fare possible.

Soon the buds on the trees will appear and these will be our precious autumn leaves for 2011! :P

So.... is anyone returning to Vermont next autumn? Have you made any solid plans or just thought about where you would like to go in late September/October?

I have made plans to be in Waitsfield the entire 10 days this year. No more inn hopping for me! I loved being centrally located in this beautiful town. My inn is booked and now I am going to start peppering poor Phil (who is about to leave the sandy beaches of Florida to head home to the Motherland just in time for mud season) with questions on what crazy roads he has in mind for next season. :P We are going back to Lewis Pond this year as our last excursion was somewhat drizzly and overcast! (Phil doesn't know this yet of course. :roll:)

And, it is always nice to see if dear Al Utzig chimes in on how he hates when I rush spring and summer because he is still experiencing winter in cooooooooooooooold Minnesota. :twisted:

Anyways, if you are new to this forum, please sign up and ask away on everything foliage in Vermont! This forum is the best avenue for advice on where to go, what to see and do in the great state of Vermont during the autumn season. As others have said before, and I agree, this forum rocks :!:

The countdown has unofficially begun! :shock:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

autzig

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 am

CT, you are right, it is still winter here in Minnesota. Just when it looked like spring was coming, we got another blast of snow and cold. It doesn't look like we'll see the ground here for awhile. Unless the weatherman changes his tune, I don't think the snow will be gone until the first week in April. The snow banks are so high that they may be here until June. So far this season, we've received more than 84 inches of snow. Yes, it is still winter here and it is much too early to think about autumn.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Carol: We will be missing each other for the first time this year for foliage season in Vermont. I'll be leaving and you will be arriving on Columbus Day Weekend. :(

Spring is a bit late this year due to our harsh winter so maybe you will be in luck with a late fall? One never knows! :wink:

Congratulations on the marriage of your daughter. A special lifetime event for sure!

I hope you and your husband can try to meet us this summer for the pre-season boating meetup in southern Vermont. It is bound to be another crazy adventure! :P

pwt54

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:18 pm

TEN DAYS ? !! :shock:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Phil? I was in VT a tad longer last autumn and you survived. :evil:

Don't worry, I bless you with two days off from driving every back road in the state of Vermont :!: One for my horse trek adventure into the mountains and another day bm and I are cruising Lake Champlain. (Unless you want to join us and/or go horseback riding :?: :P :P :P )

Just think! I have only 5 items on your list so far, but, five months to go ............... :wink:

Andy

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:11 am

Had a GREAT time in Vermont in 2010, meeting CT, GIC, Carol, Tim, and FAX and spending some time again with my good friends Al and Rich. Probably my best Fall outing in VT to date. Can't wait to get back and try to capture some of those places I didn't succeed with (Strafford will be forever etched in my memory and will be a prime target next time).

Sadly; won't be in Vermont in 2011 (not for foliage anyway). Daughter is moving to SF Bay area next month and my wife and I will spend our October week in SF and surrounds. As sad as it is that I'll miss VT and the comeraderie, I am truly excited about NOCAL in October. Have already devoured 3 photo books and 2 tour books on the area.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Aspen

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Andy, check your local library or bookstore for this book:
PhotoSecrets San Francisco and Northern California The Best Sights and How to Photograph Them by Andrew Hudson It's one of those "must have" travel photography books! Provides you with Top Ten Sights of San Francisco; with valuable tips on when, where and how to photograph them! If opportunity permits, take some side trips to Yosmite Park, Mono Lake, Hearst Castle, Monterey & Carmel, this book also includes information on these incredible areas.
Have fun planning your trip on the other side of the states.
Occassionally, please, check back with the Scenes of Vermont Forum during the Fall Foliage season. Your invaluable Vermont experience and advise will continue to be appreciated by many as they plan their visits to Vermont.
Aspen

Utah Baker

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Ah, alas, this too will be only the second time since 97' that we will not be coming to Vermont this year, also do to a beloved daughter! We will be heading east though, to the Maryland,West Virginia, and Pennslyvania areas. She's wanting us to see the areas and meet the people she knew while living there for 18 months. I am excited to see the Seneca Rocks area that was mentioned last fall. Our travel dates are Oct 15 -25. I am hoping color will be good through that area then. And who knows we may get a crazy itch to make a wild dash up to southern Vermont, we have been known to do crazier things! So those of you going please, please, please, post plenty of pictures, I will be aching to see them! Stuff yourselves with maple creemee's, cider and donuts, and don't forget the Trix! My heart and soul will be with you!

Andy

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:48 am

Aspen: "Been there, done that, bought the book!" LOL. One of the 4 or 5 books I found and ordered from Amazon. Its already highlighted, flagged and dog-eared :-)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Aspen

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Great Andy that you have Andrew Hudson's San Francisco & Northern California PhotoSecrets. Reader's Digest The Most Scenic Drives in America continues to be one of my highly recommended travel guides. Reader's Digest not only has outstanding scenic drives for Vermont but also for California. These scenic drives are tried and true. We drove many of the scenic drives. Travelers just need to focus on their own personal interests then plan their itinerararies with these scenic drives. Back to your local library, your local bookstore or dust off your shelves and pull out your copy of Reader's Digest The Most Scenic Drives in America. These scenic drives will take you to a photographer's paradise in Vermont, California and in fact, throughout America the Beautiful.
Aspen

pwt54

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 am

I did the Seneca Rocks area the last week of Oct. last year. I used route 55 and 220 to get there. The colors were great to Seneca Rocks, south of there the leaves were gone. Folks down there said it was a wierd year for foliage, but had I been there the week before, I would have hit peak colors. If this year is normal, you will have a great time. I'm working out another foliage route for next fall. Wolf Gap road sounds like my kind of road.

Rockwall Tim

Sun May 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Looking forward to another foliage trip in October. After 8 or so of these trips (we live in TX), for the first time, my wife and I will have company. Her older sister has been dying to see what we've been talking about so we will let her hang with us on this trip. Hope the weather and the leaves cooperate!
II Cor. 4:17

BostonRott

Re: Anyone thinking about their 2011 Vermont Fall Foliage tr

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm

We're going to do the Harpoon brewery run on Columbus day weekend and will be based out of my SIL's home in Okemo. Can't wait to get out and shoot, as I picked up an older Rolleiflex (my hubby's grandfather's camera). :D :mrgreen: :D
Gretchen

BostonRott

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:59 pm

That sounds like fun!!!!! :)
Gretchen

BostonRott

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Ya know, I don't think my '10 photos ever made it to the web. Perhaps I should get working on that........... :roll:
Gretchen