I'm In Newburgh, New York wondering if....

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Johnnycb

I'm In Newburgh, New York wondering if....

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I should head to Vermont or go ahead and go shoot the Maine coast for 4 days and then head to VT/NH?

What is the color status......have RV can travel.

Advise please......have to make a move tomorrow

Thanks,

Johnny

Aspen

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi Johnnycb If I was in your shoes...no RV :D I would hit the gas pedal and head straight to Vermont. Check the latest sharings of reports and pictures of those who have been driving around in Vermont in the last few days, there's quite a few reporting colors are progressing along rapidly. There's reports that some areas are near peak and others peaking. For someone who lives outside of Vermont and New Hampshire, this amazed me last year. Drove the Kanc Hwy in NH, were awesome reds, two days later revisited same area...reds were gone! Also, arrived to Killington on October 4th to find Killington was past peak, one of the Forum members, Wentworth, reported Killington had peaked the last week of September! Missed it by a few days while in New Hampshire!
Check out latest reports on this Forum from the Northeast Kingdom. NEK and Mr. Bumps posted some beautiful pictures from last weekend and this week in the Northeast Kingdom and Groton State Forest.
From this Vermont Foliage forum, really sounds like "the hills are alive with color"

Aspen

From_the_NEK

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 am

Don't waste any time getting to VT. The colors are peaking so get them while the gettings good because they can disappear quickly.

WXMAN76

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 am

You have plenty of of time for the Maine Coast. I was in Portland Sunday and there are a few nice trees, but color still has a way to go, probably about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to peak. If your looking for other places to shoot. Northern NH will be beautiful, as will the western Maine mountains, places like Rangley, Eustis are beautiful right now according to my friend in Kingfield.

ixl

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 am

Hmm. Acadia is on my "need to get there for fall sometime" list... they do usually seem to peak in mid-Oct. Figured it would be earlier this year.

I agree with heading to northern VT if you are looking for color now.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

new_to_USA

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi,

I am visiting Vermont on Oct 2nd and oct 3rd. i am planning to visit below scenic drive loops based on the time availability

1. Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom "NEK Central"

2. North East kingdom Loop from St johnsbury

3. another loop covering marsh field, Danville, Peacham, Topsham road, Bradford, stafford, Groton state park,etc.

i have also uploaded the POIs provided. :)

In NH, we are planning to cover loop that includes RT 117 (Franconia - sugarhill), RT 118, RT 302 (Kancamagus Hwy),302 covering Crawford Notch Road.

I would like to know how the colors would be in these area during the week end and information about photography spots. Will we be able to take pictures from the road or would need to go on foot from the road to get pictures like posted in this forum? since this is first time, i have no idea and looking at the pictures posted in the forum, i am excited.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Ranjana.

Johnnycb

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Finally made it to Brattleboro at sunset. Had a blowout in Conn. so I was running way behind. Tomorrow I will be moving to my base location for about a week at Woodstock, NH off Route 112. Looks like an easy drive to Groton and the Kanc for sure.

The trip to Maine is to shoot coastal images so I can get there any time for sure.

Thanks for all the input and hopefully I cross you in the field If anyone wants to meet up let me know.

Johnny

From_the_NEK

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 am

new_to_USA wrote:Hi,

I am visiting Vermont on Oct 2nd and oct 3rd. i am planning to visit below scenic drive loops based on the time availability

1. Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom "NEK Central"

2. North East kingdom Loop from St johnsbury

3. another loop covering marsh field, Danville, Peacham, Topsham road, Bradford, stafford, Groton state park,etc.

i have also uploaded the POIs provided. :)

In NH, we are planning to cover loop that includes RT 117 (Franconia - sugarhill), RT 118, RT 302 (Kancamagus Hwy),302 covering Crawford Notch Road.

I would like to know how the colors would be in these area during the week end and information about photography spots. Will we be able to take pictures from the road or would need to go on foot from the road to get pictures like posted in this forum? since this is first time, i have no idea and looking at the pictures posted in the forum, i am excited.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Ranjana.
The colors are holding pretty well so far. Hopefully the incoming storm doesn't get too windy where a lot of leaves get blown off. I think by this weekend a lot of the highest elevation areas (above 2000 ft) may be just past peak here in Northern VT but still very good.
Most of the pictures I take are from the road. Although getting out of the car and using a tripod make for better results.

new_to_USA

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for your input FROM_THE_NEK.. I hope to see good colors. So do you think i should do the loop that you sent and and then the Groton, Peacham area and keep the 200 miles St johnsbury loop including Jay peak and Montgomery centre as last option? are you saying these areas would be past peak this week end?

Regards,
Ranjana.

From_the_NEK

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:20 pm

It is hard to say right now, at least until this storm moves out of here. The low hanging clouds are making it difficult to see what is happening to the leaves on the higher elevation mountainsides. I have a feeling that the Peacham area is going to be closest to peaking this weekend since it seemed to be a few days behind areas farther north. However there should be plenty of leaves left no matter what loop you take. Just try to stay flexible in choosing your routes.

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Please note: IMHO the Central NEK drive is beautiful no matter what time of year you do it.

wentworth

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 am

Aspen wrote:Hi Johnnycb If I was in your shoes...no RV :D I would hit the gas pedal and head straight to Vermont. Check the latest sharings of reports and pictures of those who have been driving around in Vermont in the last few days, there's quite a few reporting colors are progressing along rapidly. There's reports that some areas are near peak and others peaking. For someone who lives outside of Vermont and New Hampshire, this amazed me last year. Drove the Kanc Hwy in NH, were awesome reds, two days later revisited same area...reds were gone! Also, arrived to Killington on October 4th to find Killington was past peak, one of the Forum members, Wentworth, reported Killington had peaked the last week of September! Missed it by a few days while in New Hampshire!
Check out latest reports on this Forum from the Northeast Kingdom. NEK and Mr. Bumps posted some beautiful pictures from last weekend and this week in the Northeast Kingdom and Groton State Forest.
From this Vermont Foliage forum, really sounds like "the hills are alive with color"

Aspen
same thing this year, Aspen--Killington Mtn was at peak about Sept. 26th--Groton State Forest(Rt. 232) was also at peak at the same time--both areas were STUNNING this year