Took a Ride Today! Sept 26th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MrBumps

Took a Ride Today! Sept 26th

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:09 pm

I have a new pup (4 1/2 months) I have been training for grouse hunting, so I decided to get up early and do some grouse hunting in Groton, and then head up towards Burke to see how the color is, and shnap a few shots.

I haven't seen so much color this early in years! And the color is looking good too! Ther was a LOT of reds in Groton, and I expect Groton State Forest to peak this coming week. Next weekend should be great. I was also surprised at how much color there is in my hometown of Tunbridge, and the Chelsea, Washington areas as well. We are at least a week ahead of normal.

I made my way through Groton State Forest, hit Route 2 up through Danville, and up around the Burke, Lyndonville area. Very nice color there already as well. I was surprised that it was about the same as Groton. I think things will be peaking towards next weekend which will be nice.

Here are a few pics from today. Nothing great, but it will give you an idea of how much color we have already. It was a cloudy day, so it was good for all day photography, but I avoiding getting the sky in any shots!

First is Marshfield Pond in Groton State Forest

The next three are from the Northeast Kingdom, off of Lost Nation Road, which is North of Burke

sreek

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Those are some awesome pictures! Can't wait to be there :)
We'll be coming to VT next weekend. Will be staying in Littleton on Friday. Planning to go to some places in Lyndonville and Barton. Saturday night we'll be staying in Stowe. So Sunday we plan to visit around Stowe (smuggler's notch is a must i believe).

Can you suggest some good places near to Lyndonville, Barton and then Stowe areas for Photography?

MrBumps

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:45 pm

You should be hitting some nice peak color! I am not totally familiar with the Barton area. Any of the small back roads in the NE Kingdom are usually worth it. Check out Pudding Hill, and Darling Hill Roads around Lyndonville, and any of the small roads off of those. The George King Road in Sutton is one of my favorites. I went there today and there was some great color, but it was too windy at the time to get any decent shots. Hopefully the leaves hand on until next weekend.

In Stowe, one of my favorite areas in the Trapp Hill Road. I like the section between Trapp Family Lodge, and Moscow. Also a lot of areas to explore by foot off of Route 108 through Smugglers Notch. Take some small hikes around there.

sreek

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Thank you Mr. Bumps. Will check out those roads for sure.

I've been to Kancamagus Hwy in 2007, unfortunately couldn't see any good color that time. Hoping to see some great color this time :)

lirwin13

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:05 pm

WOW! What great photos! I especially love the ones from Lost Nation Road. I will be staying in Littleton Friday as well and plan to explore the back roads of the NEK on Saturday. This will be on my "must do" list!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Mr. Bumps: These pictures are gorgeous and what color! Yes, I would say early!

Based on your report of Groton, I've changed my route to Peacham for mid-week arrival so I can go through the Groton State Forest. Instead of taking the Peacham Groton Road off 302 I'm going to continue on to 232 and up to 2 and take Macks Mountain into Peacham. I think this way I will see more color.

Thanks for your report! So exciting! I think I may just hit things right this year!

MrBumps

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 pm

I did go through Peacham today also. For some reason, I have always found Peacham to be up to a week behind Groton, even though they are less then 10 miles apart. There was some nice color in Peacham, but it is still a few days away. It should be good next weekend, and I will definitely be there one of those days!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm going to the Peacham Fall Foliage Festival with bm and whatever color is there I will be happy! Have fun when you go!

pwt54

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:48 pm

I like Lake Willoughby, Take route 5a north from West Burke to get there. Drive the whole length of the Lake, then drive back down until you see the Hinton Hill Road. Drive that up to the top of the hill and check out the view behind you. You can then drive the Hinton Hill Road to the end at the Hudson Road and turn right. Drive to the end at route 105 and turn right to get to Island Pond.

BostonRott

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Wow, that shot in Groton is just STUNNING! Cloudy day or not, it's gorgeous and your composition is great. :)
Gretchen

MrBumps

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:34 am

abby wrote:Nice to "see" you Mr Bumps! First and foremeost, good luck with that little puppy!!!! :-)
I really enjoyed your shots, as I always do. It was great to see them and I hope me and CT can meet up with you at some point next week.
One question for you.........is that waterfall viewable from the road? I'd like to visit there myself, and would like to know where it is.
Thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing more of your work from this Fall!!!
Carol
Carol, the waterfall is visable from the road, and with this rain we are getting, should be a bit more forcefull. Don't know whether that will be good, or bad! To get there you take Lost Nation Road, which is off of 114 North of Burke. Take it to the end which meets another road and take a left. The brook follows the left hand side of the road. I can remember the name of the road, but it is "something" Brook Road. From this falls downstream are a series of other cascades that are worth exploring. The road is only about a mile long and is a dead-end.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Great Shots!
I concur with MrBumps' report. the colors are out and looking great. The Peacham area is a bit behind other parts of the NEK but that should make it about perfect for next weekend. Let's see if I can add a few pics...

Mt. Hor, Lake Willoughby (South Beach) on Sunday:

Peacham Sunday:

Pudding Hill Shed

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm

NEK: These are beautiful! Peacham is looking pretty fine to me and I can't wait to get there! It seems like the color made an overnight transformation. Thanks for putting these up. I hope you and Mr. Bumps continue with the photos. Very exciting and encouraging! I'm outa here very soon! :D

lirwin13

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:20 pm

MrBumps: Thank you for posting directions to the waterfall you posted the photos of. It looks like a gorgeous spot, and I hope to explore it this weekend. I found Lost Nation Road on the map, but wasn't sure whether the waterfall(s) would be easy to find, so your directions will come in handy! Looks like the color is really coming along in the NEK!

pwt54

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 am

I thought I recognized those falls on the Jack Brook Road.