Route 125 Middlebury Gap Report Sept 18, 2010

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks bm!!!! Too bad about the Natural Turnpike. That was on our 125 gap day tour. I drove part of it one year. Beautiful. Looking forward to hiking Snow Bowl to the lookout. I think FAX has the picture of this awesome view?

Anyways, thanks for informing me about taking North Branch Road as an alternative. I just put it on mapquest. I am very glad you will be driving this one. Not for the faint of heart. Carol and I may have to put on blinders. :shock:

What else do you have up your sleeve pray tell? :wink:

faxmachineanthem

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 am

Hi ct,
Yep it was me who posted those pictures. There's a small dirt parking turnout off of 125. From there it's about a 5 minute moderate hike to a viewing platform (really it's the ski lift platform). I took the shots at the bottom in the late afternoon, I think on 10/5/08.

Here's my guess at the GPS coordinates. I might be off by a quarter of a mile or so... can't see where the dirt parking lot is.

Middlebury Snow Bowl parking viewpoint (approx); Hancock 43.925488,-72.936507 link

You know, I just noticed as well, that there's a very pretty waterfall nearby called Bailey Falls. I didn't see it when I went, but there are a bunch of photos for it on Google Maps. Might be worth checking out. The directions are a bit vague, but from this site sounds like it's down lower on the ski area.
http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/wate ... num=25&p=0

wentworth

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 pm

great pics fax!--We've driven RT 125 before, one our favorite roads, but we never got off the beaten path and did any hiking--But we'll be sure to do that small hike ourselves this year--great views!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:11 pm

FAX: thanks so much for posting these gorgeous shots!!!! I just can't wait! I've been wanting to see this ever since I saw your pictures!

bm: is this waterfalls familiar? doable? where in relation to where we are hiking?

Carol: Get ready for some fun, fun, fun! You'll be fine!!!! LOL! We're hooking the scary road on to Upper Notch Road for an enchanted forest drive and that will be quite opposite of North Branch Road!!!! :twisted:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 am

Might I add: bm is a ROAD WARRIOR. She is trying to initiate me slowly! When she gets in the car I can see the fever in her eyes! :shock: When she is driving, I try to just go with the flow!!!! :wink:

(Like Phil, she barely reaches for a map and is soooo proud of her state! Love it! Can't wait for all of our day trips; she knows the area like the back of her hand).

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:20 pm

It's ok. I don't think we have time in this packed schedule anyways! If we "stumble" upon it, then that's a good thing! :wink:

Yes, it's getting dark so early, my outside chores have to wait till the weekend now! Seems to have come on fast!

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am

Absolutely love the pictures, where's the milk? I could eat it up! Who said Trix was just for kids!