Jackson Gore Inn, Ludow

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Jackson Gore Inn, Ludow

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:54 pm

My husband and I and several of our children have been coming to Vertmont since 1998. I guess I am a "fall nut". We have usually spent most of our time in the NEK, but are looking at doing a time share exchange at the Jackson Gore Inn in Ludow.(A new area for us) Still toying with exact dates, wondered what you would recommend and things to do, drives eic. in the area. I've been reading the forum for years and finally got the courage to join and post. I guess everyone has their definition of "peak", but my favorite is when the hillsides look like a bowl of Trix cereal was spilled all over them, a mix of reds,oranges,yellows,burgundies, and green. Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks, Janice

Andy

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Janice: Welcome to the forum. Glad you finally joined us here. Sorry you didn't do it sooner! By now, you should have seen that we are a friendly bunch here -- none of the "shenanigans" you see on other forums. We are quick to jump in and respond, give opinions, directions, information, etc.

Having said all that, you are venturing into one part of the state I have not personally been in that area -- YET. I plan to spend 3-4 days in that part of the state. I think you'll find it to be every bit as beautiful as NEK -- just different.

Icon little Vermont towns with commons and churches abound, including Chester, Chester Depot, Newfane, Grafton and Weston, all within easy driving distance. You will also be pretty close to Woodstock, and to Plymouth where you can see the Calvin Coolidge farm, with CT from here says is pretty nice. You would also be close to the Green Mountain NF and that is sure to have great views as well as fall color.

Conventional wisdom here suggests that the color "happens" later (at least a week) than in NEK. I will be there during the first week of October, and if it is a "normal" season, that may be early. However, as you go to the higher elevations, I am sure there will be color.

I'm sure others will chime in. Glad you joined us. Please let us know what you find.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks so much for your warm welcome and suggestions. We did go to the Coolidge Park, but it was several years ago and we got there just an hour before closing, so I would like to go back. And I would love to explore Weston a little more, we always stop at the Country Store on our way up north, but have never gone beyond the main road. I understand there is a Playhouse (live theatre) there , does anyone know if it still operates in Oct.? I am giddy with excitement, as I am each year as autumn approaches. The weather here is cooling with temps in the 40's the past few nights. There are hints of color on the mountains! Oh, how I love it! Thanks again, Janice

Aspen

Okemo Mountain

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:51 am

Welcome aboard to this Foliage Forum, Janice and Family!
Your family's wealth of travel experiences in Vermont since 1998 will be an asset to this forum.
My husband and I have been to Ludlow two separate Octobers. Once we stayed up on Okemo Mountain above Jackson Gore. Jackson Gore is located at the base of Okemo Mountain. It is a beautiful place. We got to witness Jackson Gore when its maple trees were all orange and red. Was breathtaking. Hope you get to experience that beautiful sight. The drive up to the Okemo Mountain Ski area is easy. The drive has ski clearings which provides nice views. Nearby the top, of Okemo Mountain, was a small viewpoint with two picnic tables. This is where you may get to see "trix cereal" or from our experiences, see patchwork quilts on mountains and the last visit mountains with pink!!! blankets. Somehow the reds looked pink.
Drive around other areas on Okemo. There is a neat drive up to Solitude Village where there's not only a million dollar view from the road but also has million dollar homes. One of the forum's moderators, PWT, who is also a local from Vermont once teasingly said, some places are where you "buy a mountain and the house gets thrown in" Well, there are really some awesome houses on Okemo Mountain!!
The plus side of lodging at Jackson Gore is being very nearby to Route 100.
With this quick access to getting around, it's easy to plan nice day trips to areas North or South. Andy and MMVT shared many of the nice places to visit when in Ludlow. Other than what Mother Nature decides, MMVT's suggesting colors were best during second week of October coincides with when we were in Okemo. However, from your experiences, all you need to do is drive around to find some beautiful colors.
Good luck and have a wonderful time at Okemo and driving around to other areas in Vermont!
Aspen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:57 am

Janice! It was so nice to read your post. I'm thrilled you finally decided to join the forum as it is great to have new members! I hope others will follow suit!

Your "Trix" description of the foliage display is one of a kind and so descriptive! Loved it! That's how I will think of you when you post! :lol:

Anyways, I have been in the Ludlow area countless times in the years and will have to go through my Jimapco and come back with some nice spots to visit and travel.

A few things come to mind. I agree with the others for the Calvin Coolidge area and 100. Plymouth Notch not to be missed. There is a nice pull off north of Weston called Site Road which turns into Old Weston Mountain Road. Lots of flaming maples along the forest on my last visit.

The Weston Village Store is across from the Weston Country Store. Less crowded and less touristy in my opinion. The playhouse is indeed open.

The Weston Craft Show is great!

http://www.westoncraftshow.com/

I would NOT miss the Chester, Grafton, Newfane, Townshend corridor. Wow!

Another spot is the Green Mountain Sugarhouse! Excellent maple creemees, awesome food products, gifts and delightful owners!

http://www.gmsh.com/

820 Rte 100 N.
Ludlow, Vermont 05149

Hope to see you back on the forum with more of your plans as you get closer! Thanks for joining up!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

pwt54

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am

Utah Baker; the first week of October would be good. Because of it's location route 100 will have foliage closer to the NEK. The next week might be too late for route 100, but okay for the rest of that area.

Aspen

Keep realtime foliage reports coming to forum

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Welcome back PWT, you are like one of the important batteries on this forum which restores energy and helps keep us going. I strongly suggest viewers check back often for PWT's and another regular on this forum, Wentworth's advise related to realtime experiences of the movement of the Fall foliage colors. Some of us have been up in Vermont during what was not a typical year so PWT being a local who gets out and about often, provides very good accurate advise. Wentworth also has shared early reports as early as last week of September experiencing peak colors at Killington which is an easy drive up or down Route 100 and a route near Ludlow which PWT advises has color close to NEK
Wentworth, understand you will be in Killington last week of September?
If so, will you be able to report back to this forum how the foliage colors are progressing along during your stay. Also, if other viewers are in different areas of Vermont and find awesome colors, please share when and where.
Aspen

Utah Baker

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 am

You guys are the best! Thanks for all your ideas, they are great, and some I hadn't thought of. I guess that is why two head are better than one! Had a busy day yesterday, one of our sons and his wife gave a us a new grandson yesterday, their first, our 16th! Life is good! Also baked my first fresh apple pie of the season, yum! So time to get back at it and get our plans firmed up today. My husband if torn between staying in Ludlow or Stowe, so we'll let you know what we come up with. Janice

pwt54

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 am

I would go for Ludlow. Drive the north part of VT first and the southern part second. Stop at the Gren Mountain Maple Sugarhouse for a maple creamee. They are yummy.

Aspen

Location, location

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Janice, I am confident, PWT has good reasons for suggesting Ludlow. PWT lives within a short drive to Stowe. We have lodged in Stowe and Ludlow. I loved Stowe; especially Smuggler's Notch. You may read many recommend it to be a "Must see" drive when in or nearby Stowe. There's alot to see and do in and around Stowe. For us, the tranquility of Okemo Mountain in Ludlow is what we really enjoyed. With Okemo Mountain at Ludlow being right off Route 100, we also had the opportunity of taking numerous daytrips North, South, East and West; including a drive along the beautiful Kancamagus Scenic Byway in neighboring New Hampshire. A day trip to Stowe is possible! Plan ahead what you want to see and do before driving there so you will be informed and not waste precious time trying to decide upon arrival what to see or do. There's many things to see and do in and around Stowe which have been posted on this past Foliage Forum, go back some seasons. Some people have recommended lodging on Route 4 which midway in the state makes traveling around Vermont very easy as well as finding beautiful foliage. Ludlow is not very far from Route 4.
All of us have different likes and dislikes but may benefit from what others have to share to assist making decisions as to when to go, where to stay and what to see and do. Whether you decide on Jackson Gore at Okemo in Ludlow or somewhere in Stowe, you will enjoy your visit to Vermont. For your "Trix Cereal", depends more on Mother Nature than any of of us trying to predict which town will have your "Trix Cereal" during your visit. However, from your experiences, you only need to drive around to find it. Good luck with your travel plans.
Aspen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:24 am

I'm heading to Chester this weekend to the craft fair on the green and touring back roads compliments of bvahjen of the forum who owns a place in Chester. We may meet up on the green!

Andover Hill Road to East Hill Road was one route he recommended. I'm saving Popple Dungeon Road for a Phil tour in the future. :wink: If time allows, we are also stopping at the Green Mountain Sugar House in Ludlow and then back down to Weston to shop at the Weston Village Store!

We are also going to Okemo and "may" try the fire tower! I'll report back Sunday night if it is not too late. Maybe there will be some early color!

Another 12 hour day trip. Exhausting but worth every minute! Can't wait! Another spectacular fall weekend on the horizon!

CT

Aspen

Vermont Country Store Rockingham

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:56 am

One Fall Foliage season, we took a train ride to and fro Chester Depot to Bellows Falls. Tickets may be purchased at the Chester Depot. If possible, before buying your train tickets, get a foliage report from some of the folks departing the returning train. Only recommend this train ride for the country scenes and at this time of the year when the colors are nice. Very brief time at Bellows Falls. By the time we had lunch, had to rush back to the train to return. We drove Andover Road to Weston to the Vermont and Weston Country Stores. At that time, forgot that there is a second Vermont Country Store nearby Chester in Rockingham.
Aspen

wentworth

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Okemo, just north of Ludlow, we saw some really nice color there in 2008 around Oct 4th--make sure to drive up those steep roads

Aspen

Steep Roads view

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Steep road drive and view in Okemo is the million dollar view I mentioned up around Solitude Village of Okemo Mountain. On that ridge there was a huge boulder "out of nowhere" which made a great photo op with folks putting hand on boulder as if holding it. Right off side of one of the steep roads up to Solitude.
Aspen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Aspen: this drive up Okemo - is this the toll road? Also, is Solitude Village at the top? We hope to do this Sunday. Both you and Wentworth mentioned "roads" so I take it there are a few going to the top?

I've thought many times about taking the train ride out of Chester Depot into Bellow Falls. I won't have time Sunday but it is on my long list of "Vermont To Dos". :wink:

We are driving the Andover Road as well. Thanks for the post!