Exploring Vermont State Parks

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Exploring Vermont State Parks

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 am

For those of you who love the outdoors, hiking, boating, camping, nature and just plain exploration, I found this great website just recently. It's packed full of information! The state of Vermont really has the handle on presenting their parks with a lot of useful information for everyone to enjoy.

The slideshow is very nice. I enjoyed the scene of Mt. Philo where bm, moderator, took me last fall - the lookout is awesome of the Champlain Valley. Also, the last photo is one of the lookout over Owl's Head in the Groton State Forest, for which I have a keen interest at the moment for this upcoming season! :wink:

So much to do and enjoy in Vermont's great outdoors! I hope you find it useful in any season, but especially this autumn.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/index.htm

I pulled out the interactive map on finding the park you want by scrolling over the dots, clicking on the location for more detail.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/map.htm
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:17 am

A side note:

If anyone gets Vermont Magazine (July/August issue), they have a 2 page layout of the long view from atop of Mount Philo in Charlotte. The view of the Champlain Valley will take your breath away. It is worth a hike and drive up there! (Beautiful drive and a manageable hike).

Although the foliage was not quite ready when bm and I went up there last fall, I can just imagine the color when it is in peak. You will be "wowed" with the panorama nonetheless.

Great issue!
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

DCE Nebraska

Groton State Forest Owls Head view

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 am

CT Yanky: You have to practically be a monkey to reach this viewpoint in Groton State Park. The trail is very difficult and some steps must be 3 feet high. Once you are up there, the view is spectacular. There is a gravel road to a parking area off of the paved road through the park.

autzig

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:48 pm

I've been to the top of Owl"s Head several times. The trail from the parking lot is relatively short but it is somewhat steep. I don't think it is farther than a quarter mile. I've never noticed it to be particularly difficult though and I've never seen steps 3 feet high.

Al

Andy

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Hmnn. I'll have to agree with Al. I did it. I didn't think it was that bad. A pretty easy hike if you are in reasonable condition. It is steep, but it has switchbacks, which makes it very walkable. I doubt CT would have any problem with it. Well worth the reasonably short hike. One of the best views in VT, IMO.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:36 am

Hi Nebraska: great to see you back on the forum! Hope you are planning a Vermont foliage trip this year!

Andy and Al: It sounds manageable to me. I'm practicing on our local "mountain" :P. I think about Owls Head every time I pass through the Groton State Forest on 232 and see the cars pulling into the park. It's definately a goal of mine this season. The long view photos of Owls Head are exactly what I love about Vermont. Plus having Kettle Pond is a bonus! A smaller version of Lewis Pond somewhat. Do you think the foliage will be decent at the time we are all there? I'd like to revisit Peacham Pond as it is only 10 minutes or so away. And, and...... :wink:

Carol: Get on that elliptical! You're going! We are squishing it into the schedule! (I know you don't want any more activities but you can at least photograph your heart out!!!! :lol: )

P.S. I hope we don't see any snakes. :roll: