Northern NH report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

lirwin13

Northern NH report

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Headed out this morning to explore northern NH. Haven't been up this far in several years, and decided to go exploring. Started out at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill for breakfast. The colors through Franconia Notch are pretty well along, but I noticed quite a bit of green still. Sugar Hill is definitely starting to turn, with a few pockets of good color.

Took the back roads up to Littleton, and then Rtes. 135 and 3 up to Lancaster. Again, some good color, but not widespread. Took Rtes. 110 and 16 across to Errol, stopping in Stark.

From there, I headed through Dixville Notch on Rte. 26. This area is definitely peaking now. Great oranges and yellows with a few reds thrown in here and there. Discovered a great little roadside stop at Huntington Falls.

Stopped also at the Balsams and saw the room where the first ballots are cast in every presidential election. Very neat place. The colors were great, but it was raining pretty hard at that point.

Finished the day by making a loop up to Coaticook, Quebec. Some nice farmland showing some early-mid color, but again, too much rain to get many good photos. By the time I got back down to Island Pond, it was too dark to enjoy the ride home. Kept looking for the elusive moose, but didn't see any this trip!

pwt54

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 am

We had about the same weather for our reunion yesterday, but had plenty of chances for photos. There some breaks in the clouds that let shafts of sunshine through. Made for some interesting pictures. The colors were awesome in spite of the weather. Do you real photographers ever get enough shots of the same scene ? :lol:

lirwin13

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:10 pm

You can NEVER have too many shots of the same area! Did finally get some breaks of sun today, so that was nice. By the time I got back to MA, the skies were perfectly clear. I'll be heading up to VT again next weekend, staying in White River Jct. I didn't make it to Stowe this weekend, so I'm hoping for good weather to loop up through Peacham, Cabot, Stowe, etc. next Saturday, and then the Waitsfield area on Sunday. Sounds like the reunion was great fun despite the rain!