Woodstock and Bradford areas?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

PhotoOp

Woodstock and Bradford areas?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I found sov two years ago when I was searching for foliage related info. I would like to say that this is a great forum. Excellent communication regarding foliage conditions, outstanding photography from the members and good people. When I first found sov, I was so excited that I looked around to see if there were similar forums for NH and Maine.

This year I am planning 2 day trips to the Woodstock area and the Bradford area. I have been in contact with Arnold Kaplan via email and I hope to receive the yellow book today.

I was wondering if anyone could give their best estimate for peak in these 2 areas. I know that there are many variables that affect the peak time, but I am trying to tentatively plan. I am very flexible for traveling on short notice. I cannot travel the next few weekends, so I am looking to go on weekdays. Since I am doing day trips, I will miss the sunrises but will be able to stay for sunsets.

I hope to be able to contribute to this wonderful forum soon. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

Thank you,
Jack

Andy

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks mmvt. I'll post here, so Jack can just click on my www link to get to the site. The PDF is freely downloable -- my only request: Please, if you see anything that seem wrong, or is changed, or if there are new opps or views from my directions, please let me know. I plan to update it eventually.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

PhotoOp

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 am

mmvt - Do you think this week is too early for Woodstck?

Andy - I just printed out your pdf. I have read the entire doc, but did skim through and it will be very helpful. Nice web site. If I got one shot as good as yours, I will be very happy.

Thank you,
Jack

Andy

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Jack. I had the benefit of great weather in both of the years the shots on my site were taken. Foliage wasn't great, but the weather was.
Andy

pwt54

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Woodstock is usually a week behind Killington. The wekend of the 10th would be my best guess.

PhotoOp

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Thank you so much for the foliage update and relationship to Killington.

How would I be able to judge/guess on the Bradford area?

Jack

pwt54

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 am

I haven't been down to Bradford yet. I was down in the Peacham/Barnet last Saturday and it was very early. I don't think the colors there or in Bradford this weekend will be too good except in scattered cold pockets. The following weekend, Oct 10th, should be nice. If you had to come up this weekend, then I would try to find a place on the route US 2 corridor and work the northeast section of VT. Route 100 is reported to have good color right down to Killington. There are a series of back routes east of route 100 starting in Rochester and ending on route 100 above Granville Gulf. The primary road is the North Hollow Road that starts off the Bethel Mountain Road in Rochester.

Andy

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 am

Jack: I have a "source" in VT who happened to be in the area yesterday and took a couple shots of the Jenne Farm and the Sugar Shack (Arnold Kaplan iconic location). The Jenne Farm has some surprising color in the trees near the barns and the road, less so in the back ground. I would say 15 25%? The Sugar Shack is better - more like about 30%. So it is happening :) .

I think you will find some nice scenes. I am more worried about the weather for the next few days than the color.
Andy

PhotoOp

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:56 am

Sounds like next week may be a good time to head north.

pwt54

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Bring a good jacket. It snowed on Mt. Mansfield today. :shock:

PhotoOp

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 pm

I do love snow, but I need a little time to adjust, since I was swimming on the Cape last weekend! I've got to find my fall/winter clothes.