An unofficial foliage report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

An unofficial foliage report

Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:34 pm

I've been wandering around north-central Vermont for the last couple of days on various errands. Kept my eyes open for color and moose. Found color. We have very early color from stressed trees right now. These are trees that are close to the road,in poor soil, and diseased. Also noticed a lot of trees in transition on the hillsides. Leaves do not change colors overnight. It takes a few days to a week for the green to dissolve and the color to appear. In that time the leaves go from a rich green to a dull green. Once the leaves change colors, it takes a few more days to reach peak color. I'd say we have a week and a half to peak color in this area, which is right on schedule. And judging from the stressed trees the colors will be terrific. Which is more than I can say for the moose.