SOV Leaf Drop Support Group..........

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

SOV Leaf Drop Support Group..........

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm just got home from 9 days in Vermont and now I am very sad! I miss Vermont and my new reunion friends as well..... :cry:

It was the most wonderful and memorable trip I've had since I have been traveling in Vermont! The best color I have seen in 10 years!

I hope we can continue to reve up the forum in the months to come and keep our foliage spirit alive until Fall 2009 and our next reunion!

Vive La Vermont!

CT

scottymom

ct foliage

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 pm

hi ctyanky
Just curious, we also have gorgeous foliage in ct. Do you have any special places you visit here? I know just traveling on I84 is spectacular.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 am

Hi Scotty Mom! Yes, I usually start my CT adventures immediately after Vermont! I drove up to the North Granby area yesterday and the colors were brilliant. I would say in that area it is near peak. The reds and oranges rival VT without the landscaping. However, next Saturday is my annual Scarecrow Festival and craft fair in Sturbridge, MA across from the Publick House. (A must if you have never experienced it). Have you driven in NW corner of CT around Norfolk? It just about blew me away last year and I think it will be better this year. Also, route 169 in the NE corner is a favorite of mine but I have done it year after year, so now I concentrate in the more hilly area of the NW corner as it reminds me of VT.

Send me an email and I will give you a route that you will not forget, in the NW corner. You are not far from me and it would take you a short time to get there. You will not believe the country up there. So rural and breathtaking!

Andy

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

CT: Sounds like you had the time of your life at SOV I!! Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

Now, repeat after me: "Hello. I am ________ and I am a foliaholic" :wink:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:40 am

Yes Andy, I am repeating and repeating your phrase with great pride! Except I get to fill in the blanks and not you!!! :wink:

Yes, I (and the rest of the foliage geeks) had the time of our lives at the reunion. So...... are we going to be graced with your presence next year at the 2nd Annual Geek Fest???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope so! You will love it! Please try to join us next fall! :D

Andy

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

CT: Probably not. I have pretty firm plans to go to Acadia NP next Fall, and -- unfortunately, still have to answer to my partners at work. My dream would be to start in Vermont in late September and work my way across to Maine (as they say peak in Acadia is mid-late October). But not for the next several years--especially as I watch my 401(k) drop these days :shock:

Hey, did you find the Syrup at Cold Hollow? I just learned last night that my uncle (85 years old) was in a serious accident on the road between Stowe and the Cider Mill in late September (like the 26th?). He apparently fell asleep at the wheel, took out a telephone pole, rolled and totaled his Subaru. I understand he was ok and nobody hurt -- and that the syrup got delivered. As they were taking him by ambulance to the hospital, he apparently left specific instructions for his son and daughter-in-law to get the syrup delivered BEFORE you come to the hospital!! :lol: Some things are just more important than others.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Andy! Yes we bought the syrup in the tin as Abby instructed. I really like that Cold Hollow Cider Mill. We got there before 11 and there was hardly anyone there on the first Friday. I didn't consider it too touristy either. I made pancakes with your uncle's Sunday Brook Farm syrup and you are right. It is the best I have had. Thank you so much for mentioning it to me. One of my guests used twice the normal amount as he said it was delicious!!!

I enjoy your slant on humor as always. :wink:

bobbav

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Yesterday, I did a motorcycle run on routes 148, 153, 82, 81, and 146. These span the towns of Killingworth, Haddam, Deep River, Essex, Guilford, Branford, Madison, Moodus, and Millington. Sites such as Gillette Castle, Devil's Hopyard, and the CT River Valley are on these routes.

All I can say is that I have never seen such peak colors in CT! Breathtaking doesn't even come close.

There are many places in CT to experience these types of colors, and I am grateful to actually live within the confines of these awe-inspiring places.

I still plan on purchasing property to build a home on in VT. I just need to find the perfect lot (has to have lots of acreage), with water features such as a brook and pond. There is nothing like the serenity that comes with VT.
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:34 am

hi bobbav: I agree with you on the colors. They are intense here and I am seeing gradiant shades of color that I have never seen before. Walked around the neighborhood last night - it was total eye candy! I will take my camera tonight because the colors were better around 5:30-6:00.

I see you focus on southern CT, naturally because that's where you live. I tend to travel around the north central and NW corner of CT which I hope to do this weekend if I can fit it in with my Sturbridge Scarecrow and Fall Festival in MA. If you would like a route up here in Northern CT, send me an email. I just sent another forum member from NYC area my favorite route. You will think you are up in God's Country.

Anyways, glad you are enjoying the foliage in your area. I am at the beach in the summer quite often and pass through Killingworth on 81. Simply beautiful as you said. It is densely forested so I can just imagine the foliage! :D

bobbav

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 am

Hi CT! Are you in the Litchfield section of the state? That area is also just as close to VT as you can get in CT.

I think that with the cool weather scheduled for later this week, this next weekend may be almost past-peak in some areas. It seems like it happened so fast this year here in CT.

I have to admit, even though I could not make it to VT this year, I 'lived' it by reading your posts. I share the same love of that country feeling, harvest, and solitude that VT provides. What's funny is that even though I cannot stomach the winter, I feel compelled to call VT my retirement state. My wife on the other hand lived in Boca Raton before we married, and thinks that is where we will be retiring!

Keep-up the spirit, CT!

Bob
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!