Before the grand color entry, the aroma of fall has arrived.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Before the grand color entry, the aroma of fall has arrived.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 pm

The last couple of nights I have noticed a distinct “smell of fall” in the air. It is a deep, musky and earthly-rich scent that is all so encompassing. I have to close my eyes and just slowly breathe it in. I don’t know why, but I feel so calm and happy when I catch this aroma which seems to appear in the evening. It is similar to the feeling I get when the first wood stoves and fireplaces are lit on a cold night. I’m wondering if this brisk air just arriving has anything to do with the beautiful smells of fall because the leaves are not yet decaying and the lawns are still green. Besides the first show of color, these earthy smells are my harbinger of fall.

With all the enticing sights and sounds and aromas that herald in this season, it is no wonder that we are in love with autumn.

pwt54

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 am

Maybe down there in Connecticut. But up here in Vermont the farmers have just brought in their 3rd cut of hay and are out in the fields with their manure spreaders spread that "fresh Vermont country air". :shock: The "Midnight Spreader" hit Fairfax last night. He always spreads at about 11PM and that's just the time I go through Fairfax after my night shift at the rest area. But you folks don't worry, about the time you get here the farmers will be done harvesting their corn and will be ready to spread the "fresh Vermont Country air' on the corn fields. Better put an extra coat of wax on your car. :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:45 pm

oh pwt: you burst my "fall aroma bubble"! :cry: ................

Anyways, hopefully the grim manure reeper will not be near any of my B&B's and Inns! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwt54

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Sorry I'm so grumpy. They found my furnace but it's missing a part. No heat until tomorrow. Coming into work through Fairfax this afternoon I noticed the effects of the "Midnight Spreader" have weaken a lot. It's hard to drive with my eyes watering that much. :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:02 pm

pwt: that's too bad about your furnace. Nothing is ever easy these days! My house has the original furnace and boiler from 1932 and it's still going strong although I'm sure not as efficient as the newer ones.

A flock of geese just honked by my house and I had to shut all the windows as the cold air is definately making an entrance right now! In CT the coldest night is supposed to be tomorrow night, not tonight. 40's tonight and 30's tomorrow night. Lovin' every minute of it too!

Hope you find some long johns for tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bvahjen

The smell of fall

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:36 pm

CT, you really have described one of the best signs of fall. The smell of the earth, and the leaves and especially the ferns are some of the best things about it. PWT, I worked on a dairy farm when I was younger and the smell of manure actually makes me wish for younger days. People think I am nuts, but I loved it! Going to Chester, VT this weekend where I have a cabin and I can't wait.

pwt54

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 am

WE GOT FROST. It was widespread frost.
bvahjen; that must have been before the Government mandated manure pits. Back in the old days we spread it straight from the cow to the fields. Live was gooood> :D Today we let it rot in a pit for a few months before we spread it. Once in a while I sneak up to a pit and dip out a gallon to use as a paint striper. :roll:

bobbav

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Where I live in Killingworth, CT, the grass is starting to turn, as is early signs of the trees. Swimming pool keeps letting off it's 'steam' in the morning. We typically stay at the Inn at Weston, and earlier this year in January, took an unexpected weekend in at the Inn at Ormsby Hill.

I keep telling myself that I will buy acreage in Vermont to build by dream retirement log cabin on. Maybe this year will be the year.

Falls officially arrives on the 22nd. I'll be thinking of all of you when I tilt my glass of wine to the North, and celebrate it's arrival.
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi Bob! Nice to see you back on the forum! I remember your posts from last season. :D

I will join you on Monday, Sept. 22nd, as we toast to autumn's official arrival!

Here! Here! To Vermont! :D :D :D

(I’ll have to raise my glass of OJ instead because I don’t dare open the wines I have saved for our B&B’s and Inns to share with guests around the fire! The VT wines we buy up there we bring home to share with friends in CT!)

I’m with you on retiring to Vermont some day. It is a goal that I intend to reach.

Are you going to Vermont this season? If so when, and where are you staying?

The Inn at Ormsby Hill is one classy place. It must have been beautiful in the winter!

bobbav

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi CT! Actually, The Inn at Ormsby was very nice, but for some reason, I personally felt it lacked the 'country-ness' of other inns. Unfortunately, I do not think we will make it there this Autumn. I sent my wife to Italy for her birthday (with her friend), and we are just too busy to go this year.

Were OK with it, as we chose Killingworth for it's resemblance to Vermont. We have a few acres at the end of a cul-de-sac in a very, very rural setting. Just about every property has small streams, brooks, and/or ponds....and stone walls abound! I think we'll just sit out back, take in the Autumn, and 'wish'....

Have a GREAT trip!
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!