Tell me where to go. (No, I don't mean *that*!) :)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Tell me where to go. (No, I don't mean *that*!) :)

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey all..

Every year I try to take off in my SUV and spend about a week going around, taking photos day and night in a particular area. I stay right in the SUV for maximum flexibility and to keep cost low. And I try to adjust to the vaguaries of color and weather.

In 2003 I was in the highlands of southern VT, and in 2004 went to the NEK and northern VT. In 2005 I hit north/central VT but it wasn't the best color that year. 2006 was a bad year and I didn't go at all (for personal reasons too) and last year I did a long trip in the White Mountains, through western Maine up to Baxter State Park, and also did several days around here in Bennington County.

This year I'm aiming to go on the late side, probably October 14-20th or so. I also could go earlier, October 3rd-9th. But I'm not sure where I should go! :)

I still need to get up to the Burlington area / northwestern VT since I haven't explored that area much. I've been considering the Adirondacks but it may be too late for them.

What I'm really hoping for is feedback on spots south of me that are good for foliage. Is it worth a few days in the Litchfield Hills? The Catskills? What about even further south into, say, the Poconos?

My preferences are unspoiled areas, especially ones with water and mountains.

Any thoughts welcomed, thanks!

P.S. Obligatory image as a reward for reading all that. :)

(First light, Mooselookmeguntic Lake, western Maine.)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:13 pm

ixl: if I may, I would like to suggest some towns and routes in the NW corner of Connecticut where I took two guests last year on a foliage tour. The area is unspoiled, forested and exquisite, and you would think you were in VT (except it is not quite that mountainous). (Litchfield Hills area).

The towns/routes are as follows:

On route 44 from Winsted to Canaan. There are two routes you can divert from route 44. The first is 272 south out of Norfolk. The village of Norfolk would remind you of many VT villages. Route 272 is beautiful.

From Canaan take scenic route 7 South all the way down to Cornwall Bridge along side the river. From Cornwall Bridge head north on route 43 to route 63 and then head south on 63 into the historic town of Litchfield, CT. In Litchfield you can head back home via route 202 to route 8. Or out of Canaan, continue on route 44 to these two towns: Salisbury and Lakeville and on into New York State.

In these routes, you will traverse the Housatonic State Forest and the Mohawk State Forest. Just gorgeous. The towns and villages are unreal.

I know CT like the back of my hand especially the Litchfield Hills and the NW corner. I know of many places to eat in Litchfield as well. If you have any more questions, fire away!

I save CT for last because the foliage peaks after VT and MA and I keep heading south to the shore and follow the leaves........... :D :D :D

P.S. Thank you for another stellar photo!!!!

wentworth

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 pm

very nice pic, ixl--beautiful view, nice orange trees there in Maine--You said you went thru the White Mountains in New Hampshire last year, well we were there in late Sept and the colors were just not there, but Maine looks pretty good--I knew we should have gone on to Maine! lol---As far as NY state goes, interstate 88, running SW from I-87 to Binghamton is a nice drive, especially the last half--lots of rural areas, great views--color, though, is spotty--However, during 1998, which was not a good Fall in Vermont, the colors were excellent along I-88--but it was an unusual year there---ctyanky mentioned Litchfield, Connecticut,, which we liked very much--We were there in mid-to-late Oct in 1996---ct, thanks for mentioning Housatonic and Mohawk state Forests as an area to see--we'll definitely put that on our list to go visit someday

pwt54

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 pm

I had good luck on the back roads between Addison and Orwell west of route 22A at that time 2 years ago. Benson was so-so as was West Haven. By the way, don't drive the Bay Road in West Haven unless you have an SUV. Most dirt roads have mud puddles, but the Bay Road has ponds and lakes in it. I took my mother for a ride on that road a month ago and she used words a great grandmother shouldn't use on her little boy. :shock:

pwt54

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:59 am

My brother and I like going down thewre in early Sept. to watch the young vultures learning fly. They put on a good show.