A Touch of Fall In the Air This Morning!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 pm

glad you enjoyed the links ct--btw, I grew up in New Canaan Conn--where do you live?----like you, We also plan other things besides leaf-peeping--shopping is the big thing, which we try to do on sunny days, since the color is muted somewhat then--Patti is big on going to all the charming stores(like Cold Hollow Cider Mill) in Vermont, and liked the General Store suggestions elsewhere on the thread--We can't wait to buy some more of Vermont's apple cider--We have a kitchen at the Comfort Inn, so we can keep the cider cold--in Queechee, we usually run into this guy who barbecues corn on the grill--delicious!--although he wasn't there last year--We plan on taking some new routes this year, as per pwt's suggestions--of course, we always enjoy Vermont's hills and valleys also--let's hope we get some cold temps in Sept to spur on the color!

wentworth

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:05 am

found this amazing picture: can't get the link to work but go to vermontsplendor.com--then hit fall pictures, then hit to second page--at the top is a picture, underneath it says four seasons----amazing red color and with snow in the distant background--a classic

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Wentworth: I've seen that picture on VermontSplendor.com and yes, it is amazing. I would love to have a poster of that scene. It is truly one of a kind.

I've been to the location you have spoken of just before you get to Quechee Gorge; it's on the right on top of a hill and it is called "Fool on the Hill". It is one of the craziest places I've been to in Vermont. The guy grilling corn in that outdoor grill is a riot and the corn is outstanding. We stop there a lot! They have fake cows, sheep and pigs all cascading down the hill in their own sections, and there are so darn many of them! We have gotten incredible pictures there and have chowed down on many ears of corn! The craft barn is full of mums, plants and Vermont crafts and food and is just a delight! We went last year so maybe he was not out during your recent visit.

I have a picture of the guy grilling corn, so maybe I'll try to upload it soon.
It is really worth a stop even though it may be a tad "touristy". :lol:

We arrive in Stowe Friday a.m. October 3rd and will be stopping at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill! I've never been there and can't wait! We are spending some time in the town of Stowe and then will head up to Jeffersonville to our B&B. I've never been through Smuggler's Notch either so that will be an adventure! We are following many of PWT's routes out of Jeffersonville and then into Montgomery. Also down into the Pleasant Valley area and possibly Jay Peak Tram and/or Mt. Mansfield Gondola. Our itineraries are packed to the brim. We are eating at the Blue Moon one evening in Stowe which came highly recommended from the proprietors of the B&B.

(I see you grew up in the Gold Coast of Fairfield County in Connecticut. It is one of my favorite towns. New Canaan is absolutely stunning and very posh. They have their own train stop as well, correct? I grew up in Fairfield County but on the northern fringe near the border of Connecticut and New York State, pretty much in the woods!) :lol: :lol:

wentworth

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:44 pm

yes, New Cannan has their own train stop,I grew up there in the 60's and 70's, and back then there were still plenty of woods around and open fields--and we used to ride our bikes to Pound Ridge NY also, and to Broad River--It sounds like you have a great travel plan set up this year for Vermont---and its nice to hear the "corn guy" is still there---and get your sweet tooth ready for Cold Hollow Cider Mill, they have these maple donuts there--bit sweet for me but Patti loves 'em:)

ixl

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello all... been a while, nice to see you again as we gear up for what will hopefully be a nice fall. Haven't decided where I'm heading this year yet... :)

I just returned from a few days in the Greens in and around the Kelly Stand Road area between Arlington and Stratton.. the color has started to change in some trees in the higher elevations, with a few reddish tops appearing here and there and some stressed trees changing more fully. It's not much, but hey, it's still August. :)

ctyanky, which is the "one of a kind" image?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wentworth

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 am

Hi ixl--The "one of a kind image" I mentioned in my previous posts--vermontsplendor.com--It is on page 2 at the top--underneath it, it says Four Seasons-Horizontal--an unusual picture and a beauty at that

ixl

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am

Ah, yes, thanks. Always lucky to get snow in the fall, haven't managed it yet (except for a few flakes.) Thanks.

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wentworth

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm

We'd like to see some snow ourselves--don't see it too often down here in Florida lol---we did see some flakes in Killington in 2004--was nice, prettier than we remembered--

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi ixl! Glad to see you back on the forum. I've enjoyed your pictures immensely! We are still seeing trees changing early here in CT and it's got a lot of folks talking about an early fall. Only time will tell! It is supposed to be very cool here this week and I'm sure more trees will continue to change...... By the way, Connecticut posted their 2008 Fall Foliage Website this past Friday, 8/22, (a month away from the first day of Autumn) announcing "a robust year with great color!"

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=22 ... v_GID=1631

Wentworth, thank you for responding to ixl about the "one of a kind" picture.

And guys, please, let's not talk about snow yet!!!! I'm still in shorts and tshirts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwt54

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:55 pm

That farm on the second page of VermontSplendor.com is on the Cloudland Road in Pomfret. That photo was taken on a hill behind the farm. You can get a good photo of the farm from the road, but there isn't much parking nearby. I believe the land is posted. To get to the Cloudland Road take route 12 north out of Woodstock Village and turn right onto the River Road just past the Billings Farm Museum(good place to visit). In about a mile look for The Cloudland road on the left. I like driving that road to the Old Kings Highway and then the Joe Ranger Road. When Joe Ranger ends you can turn right to get to Quechee or turn left for route 14 in West Hartford.

GIC

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

ctyanky and all I plan to be at the reunion provided I’m not out of the country and gas is not $100.00 a gallon.
I may have some relatives coming in so I plan to give them a quick tour of Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Just hope it all Falls in place.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 am

GIC: that is great news! I hope more forum members come to the reunion. It will be a blast!

Today is a day made in heaven! Crisp, brilliant blue, cloudless skies, cool temperatures, blazing sunshine and a soft breeze. I put my first fallen red leaf on my door and I have a smile frozen on my face in awe of this amazing weather! It sure feels like an autumn day today! May October be saturated with a mirror image of today!

Just bubbling over with excitement! Can't you tell!!!! :D :D :D

ixl

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 am

ct: I don't think anyone can really accurately predict what the color will be like when it's still August. That's a bit of tourism PR you got there. :)

I continue to be way behind on my image processing, but here's a shot from last fall I had online...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 am

ixl: you are right on the Connecticut PR. That's why I said "only time will tell!" It's the first time though, I recall seeing the CT DEP put out the site in August. Usually they wait until mid-September!

Your picture is outstanding. Thanks again!

wentworth

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am

ixl, great hillside pic! Definitely see some reds in there--well done indeed! Where was that pic taken?