Fall 2008 SOV "Reunion"

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:08 am

ctyanky wrote:Andy: thank you so much for responding. I think I am confused about the peak of Mt. Mansfield vs. where the toll road stops vs. where the gondola lets you out. I don't think I want to climb the peak! I thought that when the gondola lets me out, I would hike to where the toll road stops, where pwt would pick us up. Is this an option?

I don't think I will fully describe the hairpin turns to my friend who is driving. She'll have a panic attack before we even set out! I better tell her it is a few sharp turns and leave it at that so she doesn't have time to think about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I probably added to the confusion. I don't know that walking to the toll road from where the Gondola drops you off is an option. I haven't ridden the Gondola in years, but I believe it is part of a ski run, which doesn't go all the way to the top. Where it is in relationship to the toll road, I don't know. The Gondola gives you unique views during the trip up. But to "stand on the top of Mt. Mansfield" you will either have to hike the rest of the way up or take the toll road (probably from the bottom). No reason you couldn't do both.

The toll road goes up to "the top of the mountain" where there is a ranger post, and a large parking lot. From the parking lot to the "ridge" is a couple hundred feet at best.

As Phil noted, the "summit" is "The Chin" which is a bit of a hike from the parking area, but as you'll see when you get up to the parking area, it doesn't really gain you much (other than to say you went to the summit). You can see everything from the area you can easily walk to from the parking lot.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 am

Andy: THANK YOU! Phew! I now know I probably want to take the toll road and walk up to the "ridge", not hike the "summit". My friend would not like the toll road drive so I'll send her off with the group on the gondola. She's driving her new car again this season and she gets visibly nervous on challenging roads whereas I prefer them! More "hand gripping" experiences so to speak! Also, her husband is somewhat anal about the new car. My van is just getting too old to take up as I have driven in all the previous years because we can fit more shopping bags in all the empty rows! We still shop just as much but now we have to take less clothes and are down to one rolling suitcase! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey pwt: maybe I'll ride up with you and I'll share the car expenses! Would that be ok?

Or, I'll take the gondola down just for the experience. I'll call them and see if there is a turn off from the toll road to pick up the gondola.

After all this, it will probably be a foggy day or "S" at the top and we'll nix the whole darn thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy, thanks again. CT

pwt54

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:45 am

Taking the gondola up to the Cliff House and having a lunch on the deck is an experience if you can afford it. Yeah, I can take you up the toll road. I can take your friend too.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:39 am

Ah sigh, yes, a flatlander I am. Hopefully this flatlander will transplant to Vermont some day! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I'll still be called one there too!!!

Actually, one of my fears (albeit unfounded) is losing brakes on one of these roads. Lost my brakes one winter in a state owned vehicle going down a steep hill after visiting a client. Almost met my maker when a huge dump truck followed me down barely missing me! :shock:

pwt54

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 am

I don't know if you have been on the Lincoln Gap Road yet, but it's harder on the brakes than the Toll Road.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:40 am

Hi pwt: Yes, we did Lincoln Gap two seasons ago in her new car. Fortunately for me, I was able to catch all the views while she was gripping the steering wheel! (She really did keep her eyes peeled on the road as there was one point when there wasn't enough room for two cars and we had to pull over to the side to let a larger car pass!) I loved the Lincoln Gap. Beautiful at the top!

Guess I'll be catching most of the views on Smuggler's Notch as we go back and forth from our B&B in Jeffersonville to Stowe! It's nice not to have to drive for a change. Next year I should have a new car or I'll rent one. My turn to drive..........

Hope Smuggler's is not too scary in the dark! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwt54

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Driving the Notch at night from Stowe to Jeffersonville isn't too bad. I'd rather discuss the finer points of the tax laws with a lawyer than drive the Notch from Jeffersonville to Stowe at night. :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

ok pwt: I infer from your post that we should find restaurants for supper in the Jeffersonville area and not Stowe, or be sure to get back to Jeffersonville by dusk. For you to mention the "L" word, I hereby feel compelled to take your very subtle hint! :wink: :wink: :wink:

wentworth

Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:43 pm

bm wrote:I don't think the toll road is that scary of a drive. But then again if I were from the flatlands.... ;) ;) ;) ;)
---well, we're from the real flatlands, and it still sounds like fun--after all, steep, winding and hilly roads are just another thing we like about Vermont----just outside Waitsfield, past the covered bridge, there's a real steep but straight road--we gunned it down that thing and rushed back up to other side weeeeeee--can't do that in Florida lol-but If you want really scary roads, try Colorado--On the way to Leadville(a charming Old West style town 10,000 feet up), there are roads with no guardrails,and with vertical drops thousands of feet straight down--yikes!

pwt54

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 am

ctyanky; eating supper in Stowe is okay if you drive from Jeffersonville to Stowe before it gets too dark. Driving the Notch from Stowe at night is much easier because you are driving uphill through the curves so you don't need to brake and the headlights will shine on the road. Driving the Notch from Jeffersonville is scary for newbys because you have to drive through those sharp curves between the house sized boulders while standing on your brakes. There is one spot where you have to make a sharp left turn but your headlights are shining into the woods. Once you drive the Notch a few times and get use to it, it's no big deal. Of course you have to think of your friend.

Andy

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 am

CT: You'll not find near the variety or choices of restaurant in Jeffersonville, as you will in Stowe. Its really not that bad. The key is to do it once or twice in daytime and then you know what is coming.

As a much younger person, I lived just North of Jeffersonville, and dated a girl who lived right in Jeffersonville. We used to go to Stowe often. In a "worst case scenario," you can always go around (have to in the winter, when the notch is closed). You just take 100 (instead of 108 - the mountain road) North of the middle of Stowe, through Morrisville, and pick up 15 West back to Jeffersonville. Its about 10 miles longer that way. But you could always stop for pie and coffee at PWT's in Johnson :P Also, there is a pretty decent "family" restaurant in Morrisville (Charlmont -- sp?).

In Jeffersonville, the restaurant "pickings" are pretty slim. There is a small family restaurant on 15. Food is "o.k." Don't know the hours. There is the Smuggler's Notch Inn. Again, food is "o.k" in my opinion. A couple of others which are probably only open for breakfast and/or lunch. There is a place up toward the notch on the Jeffersonville side called the Brewster River Yacht Club (but I think its primarily a bar).
Andy

pwt54

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 am

The Charlemont has changed hands again. It is now the Stone Grill. It's one of those places where you grill your steak yourself. I haven't been in there yet so I can't tell you much more about. I'm not about to pay to grill my own steak. I can throw a few stones in a circle on my lawn and grill my steak over some apple wood a lot cheaper. :wink: There is a fairly new place on route 100C in Johnson called the Stony Brook Bistro. It's packed every night except Monday when they are closed. It's only about 1/2 of a mile off Main Sreet in Johnson.

Andy

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Wow! As long as I can remember, it was the Charlmont. As for those "grill your own steak" places, I am with you, PWT. Why in the world would I want to go out and PAY someone extra for a second grade steak and then have to cook it myself?? I have a grill at home.
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Andy and pwt: thanks for the information on restaurants in Stowe/Jeffersonville. It may seem bizarre to some, but one night we may just take the "out of the way route" to get home after dinner in Stowe. The first night we are dining early at the Blue Moon and will try to get to the B&B just around dusk. The second night we may take the 100 to route 15 route back into Jeffersonville after dinner as we'll be in Stowe that day for the reunion. It actually sounds like a nice ride. We may need to stop at the Brewster River Yacht Club for a brewsky after all these Notch rides! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Not before, don't worry!) :shock:

So much to do, so little time..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Oh, forgot something on the previous post.......

Dessert at PWT's for pie and coffee in Johnson!!!!! (Blackberry pie probably- he sure has enough of them!) . :lol: :lol: :lol: