Fall 2008 SOV "Reunion"

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 am

I keep forgetting that. If we decide on Stowe we should meet on the Mountain Road(route 108) and not down town. That intersection will be murder.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 am

Hi PWT: if we proceed with the NEK area, are there any dramatic views similar to the Lewis Pond Outlook? I would LOVE to go to Lewis Pond, but looks like it will probably still be closed..... :(

I like the idea of a destination that ends in "another speechless, eye-popping moment"!!!! LOL!

I'm sure you will come up with something outstanding!!!!!!

pwt54

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:26 am

Well, Sutton Village has some good views. There is a good view from the Kirby Mountain/Victory Road. Darling Hill Road has good views. The roads between Craftsbury and Irasburg are nice rides. (That would put us near Willey's Store and not too far from Currier's in Glover.) If the weather isn't very good there are the Fairbanks Museum in St.Johnsbury and the Old Stone House Museum in Brownington.

Andy

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Have you all settled on the October 4th weekend? Unfortunately, I will not make it to Vermont again this fall. My wife and I will be celebrating 24 years (Oct 6) and we are taking a trip to New Mexico to visit my sister and help my brother in law celebrate his birthday (also Oct 6). I'll be in NM from October 4 - 8, and hope to find a different type of fall foliage - the western yellow aspens.

Hope the first "re" Union goes well and starts a tradition! Best to everyone and here's hoping for a great fall color season!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Sorry you can make it. I won't be doing my Florida trips in the fall after this year so we'll be able to schedule our re-unions anytime.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am

Ditto on Abby!

bm: Stowe is actually where we are staying for the weekend so it would be great for us as well and we want you to be there! Do you think you would be able to attend if we choose Stowe?

pwt mentioned meeting somewhere away from the town congestion on Mountain Road (?) when we were first tossing ideas around............

Please try to be there!!!!! Like Abby said, it wouldn't be the same without you! :cry: :cry: :cry:

pwt54

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 am

The real problem with Stowe is the traffic jam at the flashing red light on Main Street. If we meet at a place on the Mountain Road (route108) we can bypass that mess using some back roads. Stowe would work with me. Once you get out of the village there are some good views and a couple of covered bridges.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:53 am

hi pwt: well this is a good start! At least we know where we are meeting! :D Stowe: watch out! "The Foliage Geek Fest" is gaining momentum! (to coin a phrase from Abby's original description!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to meet everyone! Now pwt, you'll have to start conjuring up some "eye popping" routes for the caravan!

P.S. What kind of meeting places are available on route 108? Never been there.................. But our B&B is on that road.

pwt54

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, there is Charlie Bs, Gracies, the Shed, and the Sunset. Good food and moderate prices. There is the Cliff House at the end of the gondola. pricey with VIEWS! The same for the Austrian Teahouse at Von Trapps. I'm not familiar with McCarthys and the Rusty Nail.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 am

The Shed sounds fine to me! What do others think? Moderately priced sounds better! Would this be for lunch time because we have a huge breakfast at our B&B.

Some scenarios: do the gondola and/or back road caravan alternative in the a.m. and then have lunch - or - meet for lunch first and then do the reunion activities in the afternoon. Or do the gondola in the a.m., have lunch at the Shed and then do some back roads/bridges/etc. in the afternoon? We are free the whole day and are used to packing in the activites!

I don't mind the gondola if it is a clear day. How long is the hike to the top for the views and is it easy or stenuous? If it is a clear day and someone drives up the toll road, I wouldn't mind hiking to the top and catching a ride down. I certainly wouldn't want to miss the views!

Just throwing around ideas....... would love to hear what others have in mind. We have one month left to go back and forth! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwt54

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm not sure how strenuous it is but I won't be able to hike it with this bum leg. So I'll drive up and can give you a ride back. All you'll have to worry about is the weather.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi pwt: Guess we'll wait and see who is interested in finishing the hike up after the gondola ride. But thank you for offering rides back! That is very nice of you! If the weather is ok, then this looks like a good plan. Otherwise we'll be back to "plan B" for the caravan backroads tour? (Just realized I spelled strenuos wrong.....) We can also do the gondola in the afternoon after lunch if fog is a problem.... Or there could even be snow! :shock: :shock: (The "S" word).

I'm sorry to hear about your leg. That's too bad. It sure hasn't stopped you in your car travels!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy

Re: Made our reservations for first weekend in Oct!

Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:50 pm

ctyanky wrote:SOV Reunion Foliage Friends: We found a B&B past Stowe in Jeffersonville on route 108 for the first weekend in October, arriving Friday, October 3rd!!!!! We're very excited as we have never been to the Stowe area before and there seems to be so many great routes to explore! We plan to visit the village of Stowe and then take the toll road up Mt. Mansfield on Friday. Hopefully, our Saturday(?) reunion is somewhere in the northern sector of the state. Sunday we are planning to take the tram up Jay Peak and then head home on 100 most of the way down the state.

Feels great to have a reservation somewhere because that first weekend in October seems to be a hot weekend for weddings, parents' weekends and foliage!

So thrilled about our Fall 2008 adventure to Stowe and our first reunion somewhere in VT!

CTYANKY
CT: Jeffersonville is a small town on the North side of Smuggler's notch. Stowe is on the South side. Your drive from Stowe will be through the notch, which although fully paved, includes a couple of hairpin turns on the downside from the very top. It is not a big deal, but can be an exhilarating (sp?) drive for the uninitiated. The Gondola PWT is talking about and the Toll Road is on the Stowe side.

If you go up the toll road, the hike to the "peak" of Mt. Mansfield is still a pretty substantial hike. But you really don't need to do that to get the views. You will see everything you can imagine, just a few hundred feet from the parking area at the top of the toll road.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Andy: thank you so much for responding. I think I am confused about the peak of Mt. Mansfield vs. where the toll road stops vs. where the gondola lets you out. I don't think I want to climb the peak! I thought that when the gondola lets me out, I would hike to where the toll road stops, where pwt would pick us up. Is this an option?

I don't think I will fully describe the hairpin turns to my friend who is driving. She'll have a panic attack before we even set out! I better tell her it is a few sharp turns and leave it at that so she doesn't have time to think about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwt54

Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm

I can walk on easy trails. The trails that are steep and twisty bothers my leg. I was surprised at how well my leg handles the berry picking. That spot is rough. Of course I'd only walk a few feet and then pick a 1/4 bucket of berries. I'm so glad those %#@$ moose left a few for me. :x Driving the Notch is easier from Stowe than Jeffersonville. The "peak" of Mt. Mansfield is the "chin". It's only about 300 feet higher than the parking lot.