What are Working Farm(s)?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

What are Working Farm(s)?

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 pm

Ctyanky, some of the moderators and others on this Foliage Forum have referred to working farms in some of their reports. Figured they must be referring to visits to real farms. However, seems I am missing out on something. Ctyanky, mentioned getting there in time for dinner. Are working farms open to the public with lodging, dining and permit the public to try their hands at working on the farms? Folks, please describe what to expect/experience on a working farm. With that, advise how to locate working farms open to the public.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Aspen: here is a link to explain more on the farms. www.vtfarms.org

Some farms are open for lodging and meals and allow the guests to help with milking, collecting eggs, or just pure relaxation. Many farms in VT are exploring agritourism which means that they are incorporating farm values and experiences into the tourism sector, inviting guests to enjoy a true farm stay. Farm vacations are not for everyone. You can call the farm and talk to the owners and you can get an idea if this is for you. If someone is used to inns and B&B's and being pampered, they should talk to someone who has had a farm stay. Personally, this was an easy fit for me because that's how I grew up, going on working farm vacations, dairy, sheep, etc. The meals are to die for. I especially like eating at one table with all the guests for breakfast and dinner and not scurrying off to go out or back to my room, but rather, sitting with the other guests for conversation and a lot of laughs. Maybe others can chime in and give a different slant on the farm vacation...........

SMS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi Aspen. A great resource for you would be the Vermont Farms Association website... www.vtfarms.org[url]

They have lots of information on "farm stays" and the locations of most of the Vermont farms that host guests.
~Sarah Marie

SMS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Hahaha....I guess ctyanky and I were typing at the same time! :)
~Sarah Marie

Aspen

Great Vermont Farms website

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks, Ctyanky and SMS for your quick responses to the inquiry about what the term "working farm" really means. The Farm website is great! Bookmarking it for future references as well as share it with others!