Just back from NEK and Waitsfield

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

scurtis623

Just back from NEK and Waitsfield

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:22 am

1. We went up to NEK on Sunday, it was foggy until 10am and 44 degrees, then the sky was total overcast, the sun peeked out a few times, there were spots of color, but a lot of the trees had lost all their leaves.
2. Peacham area at least had the leaves still on the trees but the colors were very dull.
3. Waitsfield was terrible, dull color, the locals say its because it’s been so dry!
4. We went to Bennington museum and it was green!
5. Appaician Gap was dull, so we just didn’t even try the Lincoln Gap.
6. Roxbury Gap had some nice scenes with wild cloud formations; it was pretty with the clouds hanging down below the mountains. I kept thinking if there was some sun it might be nice, this was Tue.
7. Woodstock had lots of people out with cameras but not much color.
They have not had a killing frost yet, and the people at the visitor center said that doesn’t matter, it’s because it’s been so DRY! The leaves need shorter periods of daylight and cooler temperatures, well we had VERY HOT weather here in NH last week, 95 degrees 1 day, the week before we had frost warnings, it’s been crazy weather.
I don’t think there is going to be good color this year, it’s another poor year. Shirley

pwt54

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 pm

I was saying that on Monday. Today I took route 15 west to Burlington and the colors were looking better than Monday. In fact, the maples in the swamp just north of Underhill looked great. Keep your fingers crossed.