White River Junction Area October 3rd-October 7th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

White River Junction Area October 3rd-October 7th

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi All-

As many of you know my dear hubby and I usually go to the Killington area and venture out from there. We decided this year to try a new base which will be White River Junction! Don't ask me why I made reservations there. :roll: It's just that I get all light headed and excited when planning my annual VT pilgrimage. 8) My DH says he would like to see more of NH :oops: :shock: since we will be on the border. I am looking for suggestions on day trips from WRJ, neat roads, must see areas of interest, country stores, little diners like Rochester Cafe, and lakes. Are we close enough to Lake Willoughby? What do you think the foliage will be like around that area and NH that week?

I would appreciate any advice. Also looking for a good cider doughnut and apples (preferably pick your own).

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! :D :D :D

Thanks,
Susan in CT
autumn leaf

Andy

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 pm

One place you could easily reach is the Jenne Farm on 106, South of Woodstock, just North of Reading.

http://www.scenesofvermont.com/jennyfarm/jenne.htm
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

courtmel

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks Andy-

I have always wanted to go there. She is on my "to see" list. Any more tidbits? How is WRJ? I believe I was thinking St Johnsbury when I made the reservation. Oh, well. Would you believe I am sitting here sweating. :x Tomorrow is suppose to break records with the temperature. Might hit 88. :evil: I would rather it break records the other way! We need rain so badly down here. I hope you have some nice soft steady rains in the next few days.

Thanks again-
Susan in CT
autumn leaf

pwt54

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:36 pm

The Jenne Road to the farm is off route 106 south, about 3 miles south of South Woodstock village. Just before the 3 mile mark you start down a long hill. The Jenne Road is about 1/2 the way down the hill on the right side. Lake Willoughby is about 1 1/2 hours above WRJ. Take I-91 north to exit 23 in Lyndonville and turn right onto route US 5 north. Drive route US 5 north to West Burke and turn right onto route 5A north to get to Willoughby. Color should still be good early in your vacation. In NH, the area around Lake Winnipesaukee should be great. Take I-89 east into NH to exit 17 and take route US 4 east to Danbury. Then take route 104 to the Lake area. I was over near Danbury last summer and I thought it was a nice ride.

DCE Nebraska

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 am

I have used WRJ as my home base for 8 out of the last 10 years to view the foliage and will this year also from the 7th to the 11th. One can take day trips in any direction and come back for the evening as there are many fine places to dine in either WRJ or across the river in Lebanon. Also if one wants a nice sandwich to picnic somewhere at noon, you can go to the King Arthur store at Norwich just north of WRJ and purchase one for the day. They are wonderful and the bread is out of this world. The coming of foliage is not always the same but one can adjust with the elevations and the river valleys. Last year, most of the foliage was down in the northern half of Vermont for the same time period while in 2002, it was about 50%. Hopefully the NEK will still have peak foliage when I arrive on the 7th as it was fantastic in 1997 at that time. Last year it was gone but the lakes areas in N H and in the Ludlow area was great plus Route 9. Being from Nebraska, we never experience the Falls Foliage as that in the Vermont N H area so it is a thrill each year. Anybody have an idea when peak foliage will occur in the Lyndonville - Island Pond and Groton State Forest area as if it will be normal or much earlier like last year?

courtmel

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:37 am

pwt54 and DCE Nebraska-

Thanks for the great information. We are definitely going up to Lake Willoughby and/or Lake Winnipesaukee. If you had to choose one for the foliage between this Oct 3-7 which would you choose. With all this hot weather we are having I hope the trees don't get confused. Today is going to be another record breaking day; 88 AGAIN. I want to feel those cool fall days. I really can't get into the foliage viewing groove when it feels like summertime. How is your weather up there? pwt54-what would you predict for foliage next week at this time for WRJ or that area? Are you getting excited about your trip to FL. Well, at least you aren't going to southern FL! :lol:

DCE-We are sure going to try King Arthur's for sandwiches. I love getting a little picnic together for the afternoon. When in Vermont we like to eat a good breakfast and then a nice late lunch. Then we grab something light to take back to our room even though I detest the smell of food where I sleep. My DH likes to graze while watching TV at night so what can I do. I wish he would just stick to maybe apples or something like that.

I can't wait to get up there. Now I am praying for cool, crisp days and beautifully colored trees and a good cider donut!!! :D

Thanks again,
Susan in CT
autumn leaf

pwt54

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:59 am

I believe the Northeast Kingdom will be peaking this weekend. Lake Willoughby looked good last Sunday. Don't foget to do the Hinton Hill Road to the top for a great view. Colors were great up there. As I mentioned in another post, you will see the Cole's Road on the right side after the pavement ends. This road ends on the Hinton Hill Road a few miles east. You could drive Hinton Hill to Cole's Road and take that back to Hinton hill again. Good loop.

courtmel

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks bm and pwt54-

Thanks for your suggestions. Would it be possible to do Peacham and Lake Willoughby in 1 day from WRJ? If so please post routes.

Thanks so very, very much,
Susan in CT
autumn leaf

Andy

Lake Willoughy AND Peacham?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Forgot Peacham? I think it is possible to do them both in a day. You could catch Peacham either on the way up or on the way back. If you are going to photograph them, Peacham is a better afternoon location for the most part, so I would probably do it on the way home.

From Barton, the quickest way (not necessarily the most scenic) would be to get back off I-91 at exit 21 at St. Johnsbury and take US 2 West to Danville (about 6.5 miles). Turn South at Danville on Peacham Road. I about 3 miles it forks and you bear right on the Peacham Danville Road. Continue for 2 miles and it will end at the Bayley-Hazen Road. Turn Left on Bayley Hazen heading South. You will come into the Village (and be on "Main Street") in just over 1.5 miles. The Peacham General Store will be on your right. The Common is just a bit further up on the right. Turn Right on Church Street and you will see this, as well as the Church and Town Hall. Be warned --there are no gas stations in Peacham and there are NO PUBLIC BATHROOMS (they won't let you use it in the general store).

To head home, go back out to the Main Street (Bayley-Hazen) and turn right (South) and take this road to Groton and pick up US 302. Head East back to I-91 (just under 7 miles).

Alternatively, if you still have daylight, you might want to cross 302 and continue straight South (now Powder Spring Drive). This will take you down through East Topsham and East Corinth, which are pretty little New England Towns. I posted photos of both of them on the photo section here. In East Topsham, Powder Spring become the Topsham Corinth Road (you make a right turn right in the center of E. Topsham Village and continue South to E. Corinth. Just South of E. Corinth, you will join VT 25. Make a left on 25 (South) and it will eventually take you to I-91 about 7 miles from the intersection.

Have fun! I wish I was going to be making that drive this year!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:31 pm

Ayup to all of that.

courtmel

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:25 pm

bm, Andy, and pwt54-

You are truly great people. We count on all of you so much and you are always there to answer our questions even if they have been asked a thousand times before.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :D

Susan in CT but soon to be in VT :)
autumn leaf

TravelGoerCa

Hinton Hill Road near Lake Willougby

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:31 pm

Hello pwt54,
In one of you reply, you says "Don't forget to do the Hinton Hill Road to the top for a great view".

Can you tell us the estimated time to complete the Hinton Hill Road/Cole's Road loop? If time permits, we will add this loop for our stop at Lake Willougby.

You have given me a lot of valuable information. I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratification.

Thanks again!

pwt54

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:59 am

Normally that loop takes less than a 1/2 hour, but foliage time ain't normal.

azeez_a

Colorful during Oct 16th - Oct 22nd?

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:34 pm

Will these areas still have colors around Oct 16th through Oct 22nd? I am visiting during this time.