1st Visit to Vermont: 3 - 6 October

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Count

1st Visit to Vermont: 3 - 6 October

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:16 am

Hi there!

My wife and I are travelling to Vermont for the first time this year specially to see the fall foliage, and we are thrilled to discover this forum :D

We will be arriving on 3 October, and leaving on the early morning of 6 October. During our 3 days in Vermont, we will be staying at a B&B in Shelburne. Some of the places we hope to see are Mt Mansfield, the B&J factory, and Shelburne museum.

We also plan to do some driving around the state and visit some of the lovely towns like Peacham and Warren.

While I know that no one can predict where the best colors will be during the period we are there, I was wondering if anyone can give us any tips on good scenic drives (bearing in mind we are based in Shelburne). Based on how things are looking, is it likely that we have to head north or south to seek peak foliage?

Hopefully, we have picked a good time to visit Vermont. Looking forward to October! :D

pwt54

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:28 am

Colors will be best east of the Shelburne area. Warren and Peacham should be good. The Shelburne Museum will take a full day to do. About a mile above Ben & Jerry's is the Cabot Annex store. They have all of their cheeses laided out to test. A mile above the Cabot store is the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. They have hot and cold cider, cider donuts, and dips to test. You can skip lunch.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:50 am

You have picked two amazing towns that are on my top ten list. Peacham is gorgeous. Stayed there at a B&B in 2003 up a long, long dirt road past the cemetary - walk into the cemetary and view the hills beyond - a must for picture taking. The country store in Peacham is great. Good sandwiches and Vermont products. We just happened across Warren, VT last year and wow, a beautiful, tiny town! The Pitcher Inn was just splendid. You have to go inside and see for yourself and then go to the country store across the street! The Pitcher Inn has great dining areas overlooking a bubbling brook. Woodstoves and fireplaces were going at the Inn and country store. We're going back there in October!!!

Count

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:57 am

Thanks for the replies! This really helps me in my planning.

Seems like the Peacham Fall Foliage Festival is on 4 October. Also, the Stowe Foliage Art & Craft Festival is on 5 October (until 7 October). I assume it makes sense to visit these places during their festivals? Or should I go before/after the festivals to avoid the crowds?

Also, has anyone driven up to the top of Mt Mansfield on the Stowe Auto Toll Road? Is this an easy road to drive, or should I take the Gondola up?

Suddenly, I wished I had more time in Vermont but time is not something I have to spare this year.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:11 am

Count: in my opinion, don't miss the festivals, especially Peacham's Fall Festival. I haven't been to the Stowe Festival, but I know people who have and loved it. This all depends on how much time you have........

pwt54

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 am

The toll road is mostly dirt but very easy to drive. The Gondola only take about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. You have to hike to the top from there.

Andy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 am

Count: Seems like you really need to think about what you want. The festivals are great, but in good weather will be heavily attended, which means traffic and lots of people. If this isn't a concern, by all means go during the festivals. If you are looking just to see scenery, I would travel in these areas during off times. I was in Peacham during the week of Oct 7-15 in 2006 and during the first week in October in 2005. I went there during weekdays. Did not experience large crowds. In Stowe, you can experience crowds and traffic any time, but on the weekends it will intensify.

I am an "off the beaten path" kind of guy and a scenics photographer -- so I felt the crowds would hinder me. But if I were trying to experience Vermont rather than photograph it, I would probably attend some of the events.

The best news is that you really cannot go wrong there this time of the year.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Count

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:43 am

Thanks for all the replies. I think Andy is right - I will need to make some difficult decisions.

Right now this is how I am going to plan my trip:

Day 1: Arrive at 3pm. Spend the late afternoon at Shelburne Orchards. Evening at Burlington. Not sure if there is a good place nearby to see some foilage at sunset, but I guess it will still be a little early for peak foliage in Shelburne.

Day 2: Morning at Peacham, B&J Factory tour in the early afternoon (I'll give about 3 hours for this), and from Waterbury I'll drive down to Warren along Route 100. If time permits (not sure if I am being too ambitious here), I'd like to pass through the Lincoln Gap to Lincoln, before heading back north to my home base in Shelburne via Route 116.

Day 3: Morning at Stowe and Mt Mansfield (I have decided to take the auto toll road), and afternoon/evening at Shelburne musem.

The alternative is to do Stowe/MtMansfield on Day 2 afternoon, and B&J/Warren on Day 3 morning instead.

Hopefully, I'll pass by some covered bridges along the way (although I heard that there is one at Shelburne museum).

Appreciate any comments on my tentative plan, especially if its too ambitious :D

pwt54

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:01 am

There is a covered bridge in Charlotte. Take the Bostwick Road just south of the Museum and look for Lake Road on the right. Just before the bridge there is a parking area for the public beach. Park there, there is no good parking at the bridge. There is a bridge in Waitsfield. Look for Bridge Street by the library. Warren has a covered bridge on Main Street at the south end. Stowe has a bridge also. On Main Street, look for the big white church and take the street across from it(School Street) Look for the Stowe Hollow Road on the right about a 1/4 mile along. Look for the Covered Bridge Road on the right side and drive that to the bridge. Another way is to take the Guptil Road in Waterbury. It is about 1/4 of a mile north of Ben & Jerry's on the right side. This takes you to the Actual Waterbury Center Village. As you enter the village, look to the right for Maple Street by the little village green. Take maple St. This road turns to the Stowe Hollow Road when you cross the Stowe town line and ends right acroos from the bridge. Nice ride.

Aspen

Smuggler's Notch

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 am

The drive up the Mt. Mansfield toll road has a few sharp, angled curves, drive slowly approaching and rounding curves. Limited parking lot at top. Park and follow short trail leading up to Mt. Mansfield. For walk on mountain's rocks, recommend hiking or shoes with a grip, no rubber soled sneakers.
View from Mt. Mansfield is beautiful. Add Fall foliage, will be awesome.
Did not see Smuggler's Notch on your itinerary. Exit Mt. Mansfield toll road with a left turn onto 108. Drive straight to Smuggler's Notch. It's a must see when in Stowe; especially when it is right down from the Mt. Mansfield toll road on Route 108 where you plan to be.

Count

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks pwt54 for the tips on the covered bridges. Will certainly check those out and have already included them into my plan.

I have heard about the Smuggler's Notch. But my only reservation is that I have also heard that this may be a difficult drive - steep, winding roads - and I am driving a rental vehicle.

Is the drive as dangerous as I have heard? Also, how long should I factor for the drive up the Notch and back to Stowe?

Andy

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Count: Smuggler's Notch is easily driven by passenger car. It is paved all the way and is a well-travelled route except during the winter when it is closed at the top. DO drive it. It is an experience you will remember and take home with you.

The Mansfield Toll Road is another story. It is gravel most of the way. But again, I have driven it in passenger cars without a problem. It is designed for normal vehicular traffic and again, I would have no reservations about driving it.
Andy

Count

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies! This really helps me make these tough decisions :D

Ok, I am convinced. Will drive through the Smuggler's Notch after going to Mt Mansfield via the Toll Road. Since I am in the area, I can head down Route 100 after that to Cold Hollow Cider and B&J.

I am hoping that since this will be the Friday before the Columbus Day weekend (Oct 5th), the crowds will be less than during the weekend.

Hopefully, it will be peak or near-peak in those areas during that period *fingers crossed*

Kerry Gough

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I certainly agree with the previous post. Spending time at B&J factory is exceptionally time consuming and not very satisfying, either. If you are in Vermont for just a couple of days, you will be glad at the end that you spent your time outside rather than in a crowded factory to see ice cream made.

If you do go to that area, I suggest Cold Hollow Apple Cider Mill rather than B&J. Though there can be crowds there, it is easier to manipulate as you are on your own and not limited to stay with a certain group. Then, too, you can get B&J ice cream most places but not the tasty Cold Hollow apple cider or the delicious apple cider donuts served hot out of their frying pan.

Peacham is one of my favorite spots and I highly suggest going there. If you take I-89 towards Montpelier, and then Rt. 2 East there, look at a VT map and you will see a packed dirt road that is a right turn off Rt 2 at a point about three miles south of Cabot. That is a beautiful drive, and good road last time I was on it, and brings you to the hill that looks down on the village. The Peacham Store has great cookies for a snack!

To head back to Shelburne, and not back track on your morning route, you might want to consider going back west on Rt. 302 and go to Northfield on Rt. 12. From there, you can take 12A down to Roxbury and turn right on Roxbury Gap road and that will lead you towards Warren. From Warren, you could take the Lincoln Gap back towards Rt 116 and your return to Shelburne.

A somewhat short detour that would be a nice ride would be to turn right on East Warren Road after you come off of the hill on Roxbury Gap. It would be at the first STOP sign. East Warren Road is about six miles and runs into Rt. 100 after you pass through the Waitsfield covered bridge. Turn left on Rt. 100 and that will lead you to Warren and the Lincoln Gap road. Be sure and notice the beautiful round barn at the Inn at the Round Barn Farm that will be on your right about mid-way down East Warren Road. Be sure and go to the Warren Store, too. Great cookies here, too!

Enjoy your short visit. Nothing like it!

Kerry

Andy

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 am

Kerry Gough wrote: If you take I-89 towards Montpelier, and then Rt. 2 East there, look at a VT map and you will see a packed dirt road that is a right turn off Rt 2 at a point about three miles south of Cabot. That is a beautiful drive, and good road last time I was on it, and brings you to the hill that looks down on the village.Kerry
That road is the Mack's Mountain Road. I absolutely agree with Kerry. Its a good road - fine for cars and you will be glad you took it. I comes out on Church Street, just above the town. When you turn left on Church the cemetery will be on the right, the church and farm on the left and then the town. If you stop, DO take a walk down through the cemetery. Great views to the South there.

I tend to agree with Kerry, also, about B&J. But I think thats a personal choice. My brother in law would rather take a tour of B&J's than see some of the natural sights. If you are there to "experience Vermont" and its fall colors, skip B&J.
Andy