Phil's Phirst Pholiage Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Phil's Phirst Pholiage Report

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:22 pm

I decided to head up to the Northeast Kingdom to see how things are doing. The first couple of miles are not too colorful. Low and bushy . Then you start climbing and things do perk up. Not much color right now but the green is fading from the leaves. There are a couple of tree lined lanes and some long west views that look promising. There is one yellow farmhouse for sale. Up there you pay a million dollars an acre for the view and they throw in the house for free. A little farther there is an old cemetery on the left. It has a white fence and is surrounded by big old maples. Looks like a good photo-op when the trees turn. Farther ahead is an umarked road on thr right side. This is the South Albany Road. There is a nice view on this road. It ends at the Hartwell Pond Road. I turn left and go about 500 feet and turn left onto the Centebar Road. It’s also unmarked. This road is a nice ride. It has some tree lined sections, some nice farms, and some long views. This road changes it’s name to the Lafont Road somewhere along the way and ends at a 4 way intersection. The Stevens road is on the right, the West Glover Road is on the left, and the Albany Road is straight ahead. I go straight to check out Baker Pond. This road ends at the Roaring Branch Road. I turn left to get to Barton. This road goes under I-91, by the Fairgrounds and ends on Route 16 just south of Barton. I turn left and go to Barton. At the stop I turn left and go about ¼ mile to pick up route 16 again on the left side. About ½ way to Lake Willoughby I notice the colors are growing stronger. At the end of route 16 I turn right onto route 5A south and go to the Long Pond Road. Color is in the early stage in this area and there are more “firecrackers” showing. This road ends at the Abbott Hill Road. I turn left. Colors still early on this road. When I come to the Eagle’s Eye Farm, I look across from it for the access road to Jobs Pond. And take that to the pond. This pond is a great photo-op. It is secluded and right at the base of a big hill with a sheer clift at the top and a lot of maples at the base. It’s not ready yet. Maybe next weekend. In Fact the whole area east of route 14 and north of Lyndonville should be looking good next weekend and near peak the weekend after. I finished the Abbott Hill Road to route 114 south about 1 mile south of route 105. I turned left to get to route 105. At route 105 I turned right to get to Island Pond Village. After a late lunch, I drove route 105 east to the Stone Dam Road in Bloomfield. I drove to the end at the Eagle’s Nest Road and turn left. I drive to the end at the Lewis Pond Road and turned right. It was late so I had only planned to go to the pond, but I saw a grader next to the row and soon after I saw the road was being graded. Well, I had to see what was going on. About that time I switched to Bluesville on my XM radio and my favorite blues song came on. It’s “Hooking up” by Super Chickan. It’s the world’s only yodeling blues song. Only someone named Super Chickan could come up with a yodeling blues song. The road was graded all the way to the lookout. It’s in the early stage and the road is loose and bumpy, but almost all of the large stones have been removed. Right now Abby’s crossover can make it to the lookout okay. When they are done grading a car should be able to make it if they are careful.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Pholiage Reports

Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:43 am

PWT: you have quite a challenge ahead for your reports with your cute play on words! I can see "Phil's Phinal Pholiage Report" looming, but how will you manage the ones inbetween! We'll be waiting! LOL! Thanks for this awesome and detailed report!

courtmel

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:18 am

pwt-

Thanks for all your pfine reporting. We love ya, pwt. What would we do without your blow by blow directions of scenic roads to enjoy on our pfoliage seeking meanderings in the great state of VT? We had a light frost down here in Fairfield County last night. Might have another tonight! Yippee :D It is really starting to feel like autumn now!

Susan
autumn leaf

bobbav

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:03 pm

PWT - You are incredible, and just as diligent.

Where I live in CT, the leaves are actually about a week away from peak! In fact, my lawn looks like a late October day with all the leaves on it. It definitely must have been the lack of rain, as the colors are basically turning yellow then falling. Some reds are evident, though. I imagine VT will be peaking earlier as well.

I may be booking our weekend getaway to VT soon, as some of the B and Bs still have some availability in the 1st week of October. One things for sure, when I come, I'm not leaving without purchasing some property. My dream was to build a nice log cabin on the perfect parcel (with a pond!) in VT, and I think it's time to 'start that dream'. :D
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

wentworth

Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:28 pm

bobbav, your situation in Connecticut is likely the result of stressed trees due to drought--Connecticut is in a drought situation but Vermont and New Hampshire are not--Everything is proceeding normally in those 2 states so far

bobbav

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi Wentworth. I thought so, but I am planning to make my pilgrimage to VT a week earlier this year, around October 5. It seems like I always miss it due to some reason or another.

Thanks again.
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

pwt54

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:03 pm

We haven't had the slow soaking rain we needed, but what rain we did get seemed to do the trick. The early colors are looking real good. Next weekend will tell all.