Woodstock October 7-10

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Remei

Woodstock October 7-10

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:21 am

Hello!
I'm from Spain and I'm planing my first visit to Vermont next month.
I'll be on holidays with my sister and brother-in-law and on October 7 we want to drive from New York to Woodstock where we have booked lodging for three nights (from October 7 to October 10). After this we have two more days up to our return to Spain from New York (October 12 at midday).

I'd be grateful for any suggestion on day-trips and things-to-do during our stay in Woodstock.

Also I am interested in ideas for the two days that we have to return from Woodstock to New York.

Thanks
Remei

pwt54

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:02 pm

That is a good time to be in Woodstock. I like driving route 106 south from Woodstock to route 11 west in Springfield. Drive route 11 west to the village of Chester. In the village look for route 35 south on the left side. Drive route 35 south to Grafton Village. Walk around or take the Townshend Road to the Grafton Cheese Factory and test their cheese. Finish the Townshend Road to the end at route 35 and turn right. Drive route 35 south to the end at route 30 in Townshend and turn right again. Drive route 30 to route 100 north in Bondville and take route 100 north to route US 4 east to get back to Woodstock. You should also check the Billings Museum on route 12 just north of Woodstock Village. In Quechee check out the Raptor Center and the Gorge. To the west I like driving route 140 west from Wallingford Village to route 133. At route 133 turn left and go to Middletown Springs Village. In the Village turn left onto route 133 south and drive that to the end at route 30 in Pawlet. Turn right and drive route 30 north to Middlebury. In Middlebury take route US 7 south to route US 4 east in Rutland to get to Woodstock. You could also do route 12 north from Woodstock to route 64 in Northfield. Drive route 64 to the end at route 14 south in Williamstown. Turn right onto route 14 south and drive to route 65 in East Brookfield. Turn right onto route 65 and drive to Brookfield and their Floating Bridge. Just before the village the pavement runs out, but you have only 1/4 on a mile to go. You can park and walk to the floating bridge or you can drive over the bridge and then turn around and drive over it again. Then go back to route 14, turn right and finish route 14 south to White River Junction. There you can pick up route US 4 west back to Woodstock.

dfpvt

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:45 am

Vermont has a lot of scenic hiking trails and one of the best ways to experience foliage season is on foot. "Vermont's Long Trail" map from The Wilderness Map Company and the Green Mountain Clubs "Day Hiker's Guide To Vermont" are excellent resources if you want to explore some trails. You can find then at bookstores throughout Vermont, or buy them online from www.greenmountainclub.org.

A hike to the top of Camel's Hump in foliage season is a real treat. It's a moderate 8k day hike with 745 m. of elevation gain.

N.B. Vermont's weather is very changeable in October so always take a day pack with a rain jacket, a warm sweater, water and food.

Remei

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:28 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Hollie

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:21 pm

You're going to love Woodstock! We'll be there (staying in Killington) the same weekend you'll be visiting. I highly recommend Sugarbush Farms. The maple syrup and cheeses are amazing! Simon Pearce restaurant in Quechee has a beautiful view and the food is quite good (http://www.simonpearce.com/CSTM_restaur ... chee1.aspx). We also love Hemingway's Restaurant , which is located on US Route 4. The ambiance and food are incredible. http://www.hemingwaysrestaurant.com/