just came back from Northeast Kingdom

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:36 am

Did you read my Changes at the Silvio Conte National Wildlife Refuge Post ? It's worth a look.

Andy

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Abby: Good to see the board "warming" up again. Sadly, I will not be making my fall foliage excursion to Vermont this year. I have limited time/budget to make these trips in the fall, and this year my wife and I planned a trip to the Washington, D.C., area with a Shenandoah NP, which should be showing good fall color about that time (October 5-8). I was there in late July to scout some photo locations and make reservations at the Sky Land resort.

In fall 2008, a buddy and I are tentatively planning to go to Acadia NP in Maine during the fall color season. So it may be a year or two before I make it back.

I traveled pretty extensively throughout Vermont during falls of 2005 and 2006 and will be watching the board and perhaps able to help with some of the questions--especially as relates to photo locations. I haven't been in touch with you since last fall. Hope things are going well for your and your family. Hope to see some of your photographs of 2007 fall color and here's hoping it is better than the past two years.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:55 pm

The Henshaw Road is across from the Lakeside Campground on route 105. The road you may be thinking of past the airport is the Stone Dam Road in Bloomfield.. It's right after the bridge over the Nulhegan River and on the left side. Look for an orange gate. Take the Stone Dam Rd to the end at the Eagle's Nest Rd and turn left. Drive to the second left which is the Lewis Pond Rd. It will be easier now that there are signposts now. The Del Green Rd off of the Lewis Pond Rd has a good view, but I'm not sure what shape it's in. As you can see, you can do a loop using the Henshaw, 4 Mile, Lewis Pond, Eagle's Nest, and Stone Dam Roads. If you have a (horrors!!) SUV, take some of the nameless sideroads. They all deadend but you never know what you will see. I took one in May and saw a big bear.

pwt54

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 am

I was up there yesterday. Check my Nulhegan Basin Update so you won't get lost. Traffic was heavy on these roads. Folks at their camps for the last big outing of summer. The powerlins roads had traffic also. Couldn't figure that out until I talked to a couple of guy from (gasp) Albany,NY. They were scouting the country for moose hunting season. It's coming soon. The foliage is in the 1st stage of changing in the higher elevations. The foliage is a dull green. That tells me the leaves have shut off the flow of chlorophyll. It's not widespread yet. I have seen this farther south yet, but I should by next weekend.

courtmel

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Abby-

Yes, you are so right! My DH and I will be making our annual autumn pilgrimage to VT arriving on Oct 3 and driiving home Oct 7. Yesterday my hubby and I were driving up to Brookfield, CT and even though it was warm the sky was crystal clear and we have noticed some leaves changing. Every year we always notice the same ones heralding in our favorite season. Nothing excites me more than this time of the year. Too bad it is so fleeting. We ususally stay at Mendon Mountainview Resort, which we love, but thought another area might be a nice change. So we are staying at the Comfort Inn (I think) in White River Junction. Last year we had a great dinner at The Partridge Inn in Stowe. Probably the best dinner I have ever eaten in VT. We also always make a stop at The Rochester Diner for lunch. Their Corn Chowder is too die for. Matter of fact I usually call from home and see what day it will be on the menu. Have you ever been around the WRJ area? Anything we shouldn't miss? I AM PATIENTLY WAITING FOR REPORTS ON THE FOLIAGE!! Let's pray for a spectacular viewing even though we have had a dry summer down here in CT. Hopefully that isn't the case in VT.
autumn leaf

wentworth

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:50 pm

We love the Northeast Kingdom area--Back in 2003 we saw some really stunning color near the end of Sept--It was around Route 114 that we basically drove--This year we'll be up there again--Can anyone suggest additional routes in that same area? thanks

seger

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:56 pm

I travel I-91 daily between Newport and St Johnsbury. ON the way home everyday, I keep noticing the every so slight color transformation. Especially over the Sheffield Heights area. Of course there are always those "rogue" trees that have completely turned already, but they are few and far between. There is only a slight hint of color in that area. It's really the same all over the NEK, slight changes in color.

wentworth

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:13 pm

Thanks bm and seger--keep us posted

wentworth

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks Abby--you helped a lot because Lake Willougby is on our list this year and thanks for the other suggesions--Patti and I obviously need to get a more detailed map of Vermont--We just have an Atlas

wentworth

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Well, cold weather is needed for the colors and here it comes! Here are the expected low temperatures for Killington Vermont: 9/12 >> 38 degrees---9/13 >> 45 degrees---9/14 >> 49 degrees---9/15 >> 29 Degrees!!---9/16 >> 38 degrees--- 9/17 >> 41 degrees---9/18 >> 39 degrees

courtmel

Cooler Weather On It's Way! About Time!!!

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:36 am

I, for one, am so happy to hear that cooler weather is on it's way to turn our leaves brilliant red and glorious orange. How is the foliage looking up in God's Country? We would love to hear from the lucky locals you might report on what is happening up there. Do you think it will be an early or late season? Was it wet enough this summer so the trees aren't too stressed? Any tidbits of info would be much appreciated. I can't wait to get up there. I am really banking on coming to visit earlier this year than previous years. I want crisp, cool, clear fall days to wander around the many lovely towns and villages. I also heard that the Newfane Fair on Oct 6th and 7th is a nice time.

Susan
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:04 am

Autumn Leaf: Don't miss the "Autumn on the Green" foliage festival in Danville in the Northeast Kingdom on Sunday, October 7th. I rate that one an A+++! Just outstanding!

pwt54

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Abby, are you thinking of the Hinton Hill Road next to Lake Willoughby? I don't remember at Todd Hill Road there. The only Todd Hill Road I remember is the one off route 102 in Canaan. That road is a dead end but has some great views.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Hinton Hill Road

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 am

Hi PWT and Abby: I'm sure it is Hilton Hill Road. We were meandering around different roads after visiting Island Pond area and we came across Hilton Hill Road and decided to go for it. The views approaching Lake Willoughby were beyond belief! I think it was unpaved a good deal of the way and then paved? A small dairy farm towards the bottom of the hill on the right if I remember correctly. Does this seem familiar PWT? If so, the views were the highlight of our trip to the Northeast Kingdom.

wentworth

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:20 pm

ok ctyanky--We'll be sure to hit Hilton Head Road with the great lake views--thanks!