Fall MUST be On It's Way.....

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Early foliage change phenomena?

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 pm

PWT! Well glad to know I am not going crazy noticing the change of leaves as early as the second week of August here in Connecticut! Now many people are coming up to me and telling me trees are changing in many areas in northern CT. And this includes maples! What does all this mean as far as our "normal" sequence of events that occurs in late September and throughout October? Perhaps it is only an abberation and we will return to the usual pattern next month? Any thoughts on this for all of us waiting to plan trips?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Spectacular Fall Day in CT!

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am

Everyone: What a day to wake up to in New England! The air is clear and crisp and the sky is the bluest of blue. The earthy aroma of fall leaves is here and I am so excited to be heading to Vermont soon! This is what makes me so happy to be living in New England and the anticipation of autumn is getting the best of me! Enjoy this wonderous season to come!

courtmel

Noticing Some Color Changes Here Too

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi All-

Isn't this exciting? :D Today was the first day I felt that clear autumn air and it was wonderful. :wink: I couldn't be happier unless it was snowing like a blizzard. Unfortunately in the last few decades here in Connecticut we don't get the snow like we used to. Too warm if you ask me. That is why I have to move to VT or God forgive me NH. :wink: :wink: Everyone down here feels that it is going to be an early and quick foliage season because of our lack of rain in July/August. Yesterday we had about 1 inch which was very welcomed by me since I am on a well. I am going to have to watch "Baby Boom" one of these nights. I just love that movie and the song "Moonlight in Vermont". I know I am rambling but I am so excited now that the trees have started their annual costume party. Let's get this forum rockin!

Susan
autumn leaf

wentworth

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Nice to see some Connecticut posters here--I was brought up in New Canaan Conn and courtmel, I remember some big snowstorms in '77 and '78--And I agree with you that the Vermont movie Baby Boom with Diane Keaton is a fun movie to watch--Patti and I have seen it several times--anyway, here's to a great Fall this year,its at least gotta be better than last year:)

courtmel

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Wentworth

I must agree this fall HAS to be better than last year! That is why my DH and I are going a week earlier than we usually go. It seems we always just miss the brilliant colors. New Canaan is a lovely area to grow up in. I work in Fairfield almost Southport so I have a commute from Newtown. I love CT even though it is so costly. We are taxed to death. Most of our younger population never returns home after going away to college. That does scare me but luckily both of my daughters are here. I can't imagine what keeps them here after they complained how could we raise them in this horrible, boring, cow town! I always told them they would someday appreciate the beauty and serenity of this state. When did you leave New Canaan? Did you live next door to David Letterman? LOL Where do you like to go in VT? Any good restaurants or sites we shouldn't miss?

Susan
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Autumn Leaf: some good diners!

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Autumn Leaf: Not sure if you are a diner kind of gal, but I would like to recommend two fabulous diners that I have gone to and would return to again and again. The first is "The Farmer's Diner" is Quechee which is located right in the village where the craft stores are. (I think it was even written up in the current fall issue of Yankee Magazine.) We went to the Quechee Craft Fair and then ate lunch there. The breakfast was still going on and wow did it look yummy! The place was so clean and the service was great. On another Vermont trip we went to Bennington and ate at "The Blue Benn Diner" which was fabulous. A lot of locals hang there and the desserts are amazing. I had dessert after breakfast, can you believe that? Bennington is a great town. I would be interested in great places to eat from other viewers as well but I am going to central Vermont in October. I love diners and places where locals go and where they serve farm fresh foods...........................Hope you can go to either of the diners!

wentworth

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Courtmel, had to move from New Canaan after my parents divorce 27 years ago--too bad my mother couldn't hold onto the house lol its worth a lotta dough today--I know what you mean about young people not coming back because its so expensive--only 2 of my many old friends still live there,most everyone else got priced out--During our trips to Vermont,we usually stayed in Killington,but we noticed the colors were usually better in the NE Kingdom(especially 2003),so we're staying there this year--We like Waitsfield(for the nearby views),Peacham,Queechee,Woodstock, 1-91--This year we will drive to Lake Willoughby,Smugglers Notch and drive also to NH--we like Rt 118 there

courtmel

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:38 am

ctyanky-

I love diners. My DH is a tractor-trailer driver so he loves diners also. I have read of the Blue Benn many times in Yankee Magazine but because it located in the southern part of VT we usually aren't in that area except on our way home. Maybe we could stop there on our way up on Oct 1. The Farmer's Diner is a place I was looking for last year. Apparently it moved from it original location. We always make a stop at Quechee so I am adding it to my list. I have to say I haven't had the best meals in VT. One stands out in my mind, The Partridge Inn in Stowe. Eating where the locals gather lets you bask in the flavor of the area. I am a people person and people watcher. I love going into Simon Pearce's shops but his wares are out of my price range!

This morning had a great fall feeling to it!!! :D

Susan
autumn leaf

courtmel

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:46 am

Wentworth-

Where do you stay in Killington? For years we have stayed at Mendon Mountainview Resort and then always have breakfast at Sugar & Spice. It changed owners last year! That place is a goldmine! I love their pumpkin pancakes. Unfortunately 2003 was the only year we missed in the past 12 years because my DH went for his 50 yr old physical and they suggested it was time for a colonoscopy. Now mind you my hubby only eats fruits, veggies, and chicken. Never, never junk food. They found 3 cancerous polyps that were removed but his colon-rectal surgeon felt the need to remove 12 inches of his colon. If he didn't have that test he wouldn't be with us right now. 2005 was so rainy and last year was so dull. Hopefully this year will be spectacular! I heard they are expecting a frost this weekend. When do you go to VT? :D
autumn leaf

wentworth

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:20 am

We always go to Sugar and Spice every visit--love that place and love them pancakes--sorry your husband went thru that surgery but thank God it was found in time to save his life---We'll be in St Johnsbury on Sept 24th for 2 days at the big Comfort inn there--Then the next several days we'll be staying at the Bretton Woods Resort in the White Mountains in New Hampshire--we plan to travel to Northern New Hampshire also up at Dixville Notch--hopefully, there'll be some color somehere lol--we love to drive thruout Central and Northern Vermont and the White Mountains area of New Hampshire

wentworth

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 am

Early report from Great North Woods in New Hampshire: "some yellows and Reds, bring your camera"--sounds like a promising start, and hopefully a good omen for NE Vermont later on this month