When to come to Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

KD

When to come to Vermont

Wed Jul 26, 2000 6:34 am

We are flying into Boston from Houston on Oct. 7th for 9 days. Should we stay around Mass and Maine or venture out to N.Hamp and Vermont? We are four adults that love adventure. Are reservations necessaary along the way because I have just started tonight to begin investigating this new adventure for us in October. What are the hi and lo temps during this time of year? In Houston we see very little fall color and we are excited about this trip. Whatever tips you have about your favorite spots is appreciated. Beginning my search on the Web will take many hours and I'd like to use the time wisely.<BR>thank you,<BR>Happy Trails, <BR>K. D. <BR>abramsgirl@msn.com <BR>18731 Casper Drive<BR>Spring, TX 77373<BR>

one4t

Re: When to come to Vermont

Wed Jul 26, 2000 5:12 pm

I started booking my trip in April and found many places booked. I've not been there vacationing before. Base yourself in just two places or even one. Example: it takes 8 hours to drive from Lake Champlain area, VT to Camden, Maine, (on the coast). That's going across 3 states. But it takes like 4 hours to go from Boston to Burlington, VT (the Lake area. I don't want city areas so I searched small towns. Actually I first bought a Frommers New England book (great map included). It even gives Web sites to visit. But you get a better idea of the distance and highways and whats in the towns. do you want to hike and relax or do you want to visit historic sites?<BR>Personally historic sites can be done when either really young or elderly. Search the Web like crazy. One site is 1st Travelers Choice <A HREF="http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0onsadex.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0onsadex.htm</A> <BR>Avoid Boston, do it another time. They have MAJOR construction going on now "the big dig" and from what I hear it also affects the Logan airport traffic. I'm flying into Newark and Providence, RI. Boston and Maine are great areas, but if you really want the foliage thing, stay on the West side of Mass, and Vermont. Most of Vermont is foliage picturesqe and so is New Hampshire and much of Maine. Ski areas, you may see more pine trees. I'm staying in the Lake Champlaine area. I booked my room before I really researched what was in the area. Lucky me, there's bunches to do along with hiking, Ben and Jerry's facatory, outlet shopping, Cheese factory, Maple factory. However, I mostly want to hike, breath slow, and read. I work in the Silicon Valley. I'm driving the 8 hours to Maine because I've always wanted to see it so I'm staying at the Blue Harbor House in Camden. LOBSTER. I'm dreaming lobster. I'm meeting a friend south of Boston and we're going to the Cape for 2 nights. More Lobster.....<BR>I've hit a few sites that aloud me to ask for driving maps and stuff for Vermont and New Hampshire. Don't ask how I found them. I was click happy that day and got lucky. <BR>I wouldn't mind one for Mass/Boston area, but hey whats vacation if you can't get lost and wing it?<BR>If you want to chat more, my email is tnicol@shearman.com. Hope I was helpful to you. Have a great trip.

svmoderator

Thu Aug 03, 2000 4:09 am

Have you tried 1-800-vermont.com? Then look for the different regional web sites, including <A HREF="http://www.woodstockvt.com," TARGET=_blank>www.woodstockvt.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.quechee.com," TARGET=_blank>www.quechee.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.travelthekingdom.com," TARGET=_blank>www.travelthekingdom.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.central-vt.com," TARGET=_blank>www.central-vt.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.rutlandvermont.com." TARGET=_blank>www.rutlandvermont.com.</A> There's an inn in Quechee, Vermont, owned and run by some folks from Houston who moved up here permanently a few years ago...Herrin House Inn B&B, <A HREF="http://www.herrinhouseinn.com" TARGET=_blank>www.herrinhouseinn.com</A> or 1-800-616-4415. svmoderator

Sat Aug 19, 2000 9:21 pm

!1st 3 nights stay in boston the airport hyatt is new with fabulous views tour fanueal hall and a walking tour of the freedom trail (soak in the rich architecture and history), see newbury street, copley plaza, and the public gardens, complete with a "duck tour" amphibous tour bus (there are so many museums, and attractions along the charles river)get out and see something. Dine in the north end, we love Gvanni's the spinaci and salmone will have you singing followed by Mikes Pastry for a cappucino and neopolitan (buy extra pastry for your ride the next day). Take route 2 west to greenfield ma rt 91 north to brattleboro vt and route 30 west to manchester vt ,stay at the equinox in manchester vt shop dine and enjoy. Great spot to enjoy world class foiliage and food is the inn at willow pond. On to main if you must stick to the coast. South is all the outlets then come the water parks further north you get "downeast" bath, camden, damriscotta good destinations. Rt 1 best ride.

Sat Aug 19, 2000 9:24 pm

Reservations definately <BR>Temperatures 40's to 70's check weather before departure.

Sat Aug 19, 2000 9:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bulldozer:<BR><B>!1st 3 nights stay in boston the airport hyatt is new with fabulous views tour fanueal hall and a walking tour of the freedom trail (soak in the rich architecture and history), dont sweat the construction the traffic moves well and the routing is better than before,see newbury street, copley plaza, and the public gardens, complete with a "duck tour" amphibous tour bus (there are so many museums, and attractions along the charles river)the cambridge hyatt hotel has a revolving restaurant with an unbeliavable view forget the food just go for the drinks here the frozen mudslide is the best you have ever had. get out and see something. Dine in the north end, we love Gvanni's the spinaci and salmone will have you singing followed by Mikes Pastry for a cappucino and neopolitan (buy extra pastry for your ride the next day). Take route 2 west to greenfield ma rt 91 north to brattleboro vt and route 30 west to manchester vt ,stay at the equinox in manchester vt shop dine and enjoy. Great spot to enjoy world class foiliage and food is the inn at willow pond. On to maine if you must stick to the coast. South is all the outlets then come the water parks further north you get "downeast" bath, camden, damriscotta good destinations. Rt 1 best ride.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Sun Sep 03, 2000 11:31 pm

Go earlier if you can. Better chance to see the foliage I think you want to see. Stay away from Boston! You can see a big city anytime. Forget Logan and fly in to Bradley at Hartford. As soon as you depart the airport you are in the beautiful countryside of Western Connecticut and only a few minutes from the Berkshires of Mass. Don't miss Stockbridge and the Norman Rockwell meuseum. In Vermont, see Manchester, Grafton, Weston, Woodstock, Peacham. Do not be afraid to travel the "packed dirt" roads. That is the way to see the best in scenery and color! I could go on. Have made about fifteen trips during the fall. I love it! Vermont is where it is! Have a good time.

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:45 pm

What would be a good place to stay if we wanted to avoid the "touristy" areas, yet be close enough to them by car in case of cabin fever?<P>Any suggestions on finding a vacation rental for about $400-500 a week?<P>Is the second week of October really too late for the foliage in "full bloom?" (Sorry, couldn't resist the oxymoron)<P>Please, email me if you don't mind at WriteSophia@hotmail.com<P>Thanks in advance, Sophia<BR>------------------------------------------<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kerry Gough:<BR><B>Go earlier if you can. Better chance to see the foliage I think you want to see. Stay away from Boston! You can see a big city anytime. Forget Logan and fly in to Bradley at Hartford. As soon as you depart the airport you are in the beautiful countryside of Western Connecticut and only a few minutes from the Berkshires of Mass. Don't miss Stockbridge and the Norman Rockwell meuseum. In Vermont, see Manchester, Grafton, Weston, Woodstock, Peacham. Do not be afraid to travel the "packed dirt" roads. That is the way to see the best in scenery and color! I could go on. Have made about fifteen trips during the fall. I love it! Vermont is where it is! Have a good time.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>