1st time to VT -- Oct 19/20

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

calivisitor

1st time to VT -- Oct 19/20

Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:46 pm

We're visiting Vermont for the first time and have been really hoping to see the beautiful fall leaves -- given the posts here, any suggestions on where to go? We're coming in on Wednesday night, Oct 18, and staying in Woodstock area, but are open to driving anywhere highly recommended. Would also appreciate any feedback on what it looks like up around Stowe.

Beth

Re: 1st time to VT -- Oct 19/20

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:51 am

Best foliage viewing we saw yesterday was north of Brattleboro in that pocket of southeast along 5 and 91 along the Connecticut River. Once you go below White River Junction it's back into autumn and leaves are still on some the trees. North of that it's way past peak but still pretty in it's own special way. Same on the other side of Rt. 9 west in the Bennington area below 313 and 67 A into NY State. Most high elevations are way past peek and into stick season. Once you go above Rutland it's past peak unless you stay in the Champlain Valley area in the lower elevations. So, stay in the valleys of southern Vermont and you should do fine. Many of the river areas and lower farms were in there glory still. Northern parts are pretty with the snow on the mountain tops. I can see from my house that Jay Peak has snow on summit and some of the upper trails It was pretty cold last Thursday evening with frost that morning which started to snow cap some of the higher peaks.

My recommendation would be stay in the Champlain and Connecticut River valleys.

Enjoy any remaining foliage it's always a sight to see no matter what stage it is in...
This past season many of the reds just didn't appear more oranges.. and golds..
but still pretty.

Hope this helps.

pwt54

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 am

I've been wandering around the Addison,Shoreham, and Benson area the last 2 days. Still a lot of good color. Had a great time except for the "Goat from Hell" in Benson. I'm not sure if the leaves will stay until this weekend.

Andy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 am

C'mon, now, PWT. You CANNOT just leave us hanging like that :D . There's got to be a story just waiting to be told. Tell us about the goat from hell.....
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Michelle

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:10 pm

From the Wilmington Area. There is still some color, very little. As a matter of fact, most of our trees are in the process of losing their leaves. I posted in early Sept that we had started early. Better luck next year guys.

Michelle

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Wait...............What about the " goat from hell "

calivisitor

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far -- you all are great and I was thrilled to find this bulletin board!

(Although I must admit, not sure what to make of the "goat from hell" reference ...)