Bad news on routes 108 and 109

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Bad news on routes 108 and 109

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:30 pm

I drove routes 108, 109 and 118 this morning and the foliage is mostly gone. I missed peak here completely. The only thingt I can figure is peak happened when I was on day shift 2 weeks ago. That is early for that area. Autumnleaf, if you want to do the covered bridge tour for thr bridges and scenery fine. But for foliage head south. Pick a good day and take I-89 to exit 12 near Burlington. Turn left at the end of the ramp and drive 2a south to the end at route 116 south. Turn left and drive route 116 to the end at route US 7 south in East Middlebury and turn south. Drive route US 7 south to the traffic light in Wallingford and turn right to begin this loop tour. You are now on route 140 west. Drive route 140 west to route 30 south in Poultney and turn left. Drive route 30 south through Welss and past route 149 and look for route 153 on the right just past route 149. In less that a mle the road goes between 2 quarry holes. This place has fond memories for me. I surveyed this section of road in 1970. They wanted to see if there was enough waste rock to fill in part of the quarry holes and widen the road. There must have been because the road is wider. They warned us rattlesnakes there. There were. Obviously they were friendly because I'm still here. Anyway, drive route 153 down to route 315 east in West Pawlet and turn left on route 315 east and drive it to end end at route 30 north and turn left. Drive route 30 to to Pawlet and look for route 133 on the right side. Drive route 133 north to the end in West Rutland and turn right on route "Bus 4" and drive that east to Center Rutland and look for route 3 on the left. Drive route 3 north to the end at Route US 7 north and turn left. Head back for home. Tis loop has a lot of color on it but it won't be the kind of color you will find up north. There are more Oak trees here. There are some great views, quaint villages and farms on this loop. Save my covered bridge tour from yesterday. If you come back here earlier next year this tour will be great. I also drove routes 12 and 14 this afternoon after I got my car inspected. Both roads were bad down to Bethel. I wanted to go farther but my brother just had to stop and get a pumpkin and took a half an hour finding the perfect one. Right now the best chance for foliage is the Champlain Valley from Burlington south to Bennington and west fo the Green Mountains, and from the Woodstock/White River Jct area south to Brattleboro and east of the Green Mountains. I will not be able to get back down there so this will be my last report. I will be hanging around to answer some general questions. Next weekend will be Snow Geese and apples.

pwt54

Re: Bad news on routes 108 and 109

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:32 pm

OOPs that should be "drive route 30 through Wells".

courtmel

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:50 pm

pwt54-

Looks like the Champlain Valley is where we will be headed. You have been a great source of information. I envy all the autumns and white winters you have witnessed and can reflect upon. You are living in a place where hopefully my DH and I will retire to in about 13 years.I realize VT is not as cheap as it once was to live in but we don't require a big fancy house or anything like that. We are simple people who love nature and the important things in life such as friends, family, good health, and a trip to VT twice a year if we are lucky. This global warming has me very concerned for the state of our planet. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Someday soon CT will have the climate of N.Carolina. I remember winters from my childhood. They were cold and snowy. Not anymore! Every winter I pray for a blizzard or two but no such luck for a long time. If it snows it is gone by the next day. Well, pwt, I will let you know how our trip turns out when I get back. Where is a good apple picking place near Stowe or in the Champlain Valley?

Again thanks for being there for all of us-

Susan in CT
autumn leaf

pwt54

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:23 am

I am at the rest area on I-89 near St. Albans where I work. The colors up here are still in great shape. It looks like anywhere west of route 108 and south of Canada will be good for a few more days. The Pumpkin Harbor Road from route 15 north to Sheldon may still have some good color especially above Fletcher.

courtmel

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 am

pwt54-

My DH always wanted to visit a place called Rousse's Point. Have your heard of it? Is it in the area we should be headed? How about some apple orchards? ;)

PS Thanks for the update. I will be on the computer until tomorrow 9am so feel free to continue with your most needed and wanted updates.

You are the best-
autumn leaf